devolution

Author Topic: General Discussion  (Read 3788525 times)

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
  • "It's like hunting cows"
Re: PyTFall Dev Thread: Writers needed!
« Reply #75 on: January 17, 2013, 06:10:11 PM »
ok i will start immediately with the GUI

I love this project and I will do my best  ;)

Great, I've sent you invite to DropBox and put wood skin files for photoshop in there. It was made by a pretty damn good Russian designer for the original WM, and it's where I got the buttons from. If wood theme remains, it might be useful to you.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #76 on: January 18, 2013, 04:11:16 AM »
We need pictures for interesting locations in the city.
Could you provide some information about the world history then? Is it strictly medieval, or steampunk, or postapocalypse, or something like in Otherworld, etc.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #77 on: January 18, 2013, 02:55:24 PM »
Could you provide some information about the world history then? Is it strictly medieval, or steampunk, or postapocalypse, or something like in Otherworld, etc.

I would say, something along the lines of FF VII, FF VIII.

Magic, Some tech, All sorts of weapons and most architecture types should be allowed.

I was thinking about some form of a failed slave revolt taking place in the country that was squashed but with very significant losses so now slaves are not allowed to train in battle magic or combat ad violating that rule comes at a great price but other than that I didn't give the world to much thought.
Like what we're doing?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #78 on: January 18, 2013, 04:34:42 PM »
Hi Xela

I have a few questions if you don't mind

1. First of all, should I ask these questions here with PM or post them on forum?

Best ask in here so I do not have to write stuff twice or trice.

2. I looked for pictures that you ask me to, but I must admit that I'm not really sure what some of these categories are supposed to mean. Like where they will be actually used and how much often (so I will not be wasting efforts on a lot images for category that are rarely seen where its better to use just the most accurate one). Few examples what I'm unsure about:

- is profilenormal same as profile (show in brothel screen) or is it something only used when meeting girls?

- there are two types of nude pics on net - one where girl is nude, but otherwise normal (=standing, doing something common) and the other type where she is undressed in bed or showing herself or spreading etc. (=sexy ones, just before action...)

- what degree of anger/sadness is better? Is she supposed to be just a little upset about something, or is complete "battle rage" or "down in tears" better?

The idea behind this is that when I'm in actual "Development" I want to put a little more efford into this than if it would be just a another girlpack - these will be probably presented with the game afterall. 

I uploaded some Sakura pictures so you can tell me what is good and what is not accurate and I will use that example for all future girls - for now I'm collecting for Hinata and one other girl for general testing (like you wanted) and then I want to make my own one and try writing events for her.

Ok... I am not sure about a lot of that stuff either but here's what makes sense to me:

profilenormal (Should be 'profileneutral') will be used a lot I expect, just like the other profile pics with feelings. Rage and down  in tears is a definite overkill for profilesad and profileangry categories, but might be ok for lets say profilerage and profile tears categories :D

Simply said, the amount of categories will depend for the most part on the amount of people that would be willing to work on events, quests and interactions etc., but night is already using those in basic script he's working on for interactions menu. For example, when you choose to scold the girl, when text is stating that she is defiant or sad and randomly chosen profile picture from 'profile' category shows her looking really happy dancing in the field of some freaking flowers doesn't do justice to the game. Another application is to use those to display as profile pictures depending on girl's joy in idle girl management screen. Another during events and girlmeets in town and I am sure we will find many different applications as we work on the game in the future. Since it is very easy to make sure that if category is not found, game will fall back on more basic categories or some form of default pictures that could be applicable to all girls (I will take care of that code later), you should really decide for yourself what degree of anger/sadness is better...

I don't have a lot of time today and will not do any coding but I glanced through your Sakura folder and it looks really good!

3. That comes with another thing - you wanted only some categories of images that you're testing now, but when I'm at it, the're is almost no difference if I'm looking for just something or taking all that's useable from site where I am. So I will do so (and most of WM packs can be improved, trust me) but I need a list of all image categories in use now (or planned) - with all of these WM versions, I'm confused a bit.

But that comes with another issue - adding sex pics enlarge size of these girls a lot, and if I upload them to dropbox, it can take a lot of precious space away. Is that no issue, or should I use some sort or placeholders and store them separatedly? (nice solution, but there will be nothing to look at through development )

Ok, like I've said in my PM to you, I simply could use a couple of girls from the shows I am familiar with so testing the code I write for the game is more fun. We will NOT be making actual packs for the game any time soon cause there is no way of telling what image categories there will be in the end! It is as simple as that, we may need to adjust categories, traits, stats, locations, castes and so on MANY times in the future... We already have Hinata, Sakura and a bunch of girls from Persona games, couple more maybe but no more than 10 - 15 AND definitely we don't need a lot of sex pics, just one or more per category will do just fine!

4. I want to normalize size of these images to save space and memory, do you know what size/resolution/ratio is best? (but i can figure that myself)

Game native resolution is 1280x800, frames holding the pics even smaller. Size of the pictures is adjusted for the player by RenPy. I cannot tell for certain if game will support different resolutions cause that means a good deal of extra work and RenPy is exelent with managing window size + Full Screen Size so there is little point. Also even resized by RenPy engine, larger pics look a lot better than small once...

5. You mentioned Simbro1x girl meeting style - that version have predefined standard actions that you can perform with a girl, like chat, give gift... is it's still viable for me to write a specific story for a girl with its own different options and splits? Something thats goes through more meetings in style more like current tifa quest - will that work together?

Yes, as code advances, it will be possible to replace interactions, girlmeets, events and quests from default to unique once OR any mix of of the two. Basically, I will have the game to look for the label called:

label 'uniquegirlid'_'ineractionname', if that does not exist, game will use the default label that can be used for all girls. With unique girlmeets, events and interactions you will be able to use specific pics as easy as you would categories, so if a modder really cares to make a good pack for a girl, you can choose texts to match the pics perfectly, you can either use pictures that are not even in any of the categories but are totally unique or to choose specific pic from a category or to use a random pic from a category... it's all up to the creator, you can even throw unique backgrounds for totally unique scenes to be used only with that girl in her pics folder and use those as backgrounds for the events.

6. And mentioning Simbro1x, there is something about this version I'm really interested about - customers chosing girls by their character or appereance. Is there any plans of implementing that in this project? I actually wrote a quite agitating wall of text about this (located at my folder now) but if you already discarted that idea, just ignore my suggestion.

I've read the file, the truth is that SimBro 1X is not opensource and I have no frigging clue what happens under the hood, only what I see during gameplay. It is also one of the stupider things about the game, like a girl changing color of her hair to suit the costumer while picture shows her usual color and usually the wrong picture category :)

Is it hard to code? No... Is it hard to 'fake' using the current code, end-user being non the wiser, again, no. Right now the logic simply creates a costumer during the interaction so there is no pool being generated and matched against girls in your brothels but if we decide to change that, costumer class will not need to be changed or even adjusted... Matching is also easy, do we need it? I have no frigging clue once again...

I suggest we get back to this topic during:

v0.2 - 0.3 - Advanced logic behind next day.

v0.2 - 0.3 - Advanced logic for traits, 6 items planned for the original release, 6 pieces of clothing for girls and advertising + updates for brothels.

I am doing my best to code the game in such way that puts nothing or at the very least next to nothing off the table. I already understand that game needs to not only make sense but also be fun to play, hence the costumer/girls ranks + castes matches so player is forced to do management that is not repetitive and as unique to each round.

Another thing as costumers go, I want to create a number of NPC costumers that will have names and maybe portraits, come back to your brothel for favorite girls/actions and play other roles, maybe we can even give them own avatars. It is fairly easy to do and adds a lot of depth to gameplay, I am actually surprised that it has not been done before. In any case, it's one of the ideas I have for the game.

Anyway, the logic we have now is very basic and doesn't kill a single option or possibility, when we get to the advanced stuff, we will all put some ideas on the table, go through them and decide on how to proceed.

X. And at last, is this ok with you to read message this long and explaining? I found that some people are uncomfortable if they are forced to read anything more then is absolutly necessary - so if your time is really precious, i will try my best to shorten any futher messaging to required minimum. Anyway, I'm hoping there will be no need for many questions like these and I will become more of a help then a nuisance soon.

It's ok, especially since I have not addressed this stuff elsewhere, just do it here next time so I don't have to answer same questions later.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 05:58:11 PM by Xela »
Like what we're doing?

Offline CherryWood

« Reply #79 on: January 18, 2013, 09:07:10 PM »
Ok, thank you
So you want there to be both "profile" and "profileneutral" categories together? That is the part I was confused about, I somewhat assumed that they were one. But I can see now that it's better to have them separated. However, because they're so close, it's easy to be left with picture that you (girlpack creator) want to have in both - very easy, because lot of emotional pictures will get filtered into happy/sad/anger categories, so almost everything left in "profile" after sorting will be pictures with normal expression (=good for both). It can be solved easily by duplicating that picture, but I was wondering...

Can it be scripted that the game will be choosing picture from more picture types then one? Because, for example, if all screens that were previously using "profile" pictures will now use "profile + profileneutral" pictures, while emotion screen will just use "profileneutral" pictures (even better "neutral">"profileneutral">"profile" to have every possibility) that would solve it more elegantly.
(a very minor issue, I know, just using it to better understand how it all work)

Offline OverHao

« Reply #80 on: January 18, 2013, 10:10:52 PM »
Perfect, i will check immediately the wood skin  ;D

just one question:
of my old GUI concept I particularly like the screen of the daily report :

the way it works is simple:
clicking on the images you can see the results of girls divided by brothel and for every girl by clicking scroll through the customers of the evening displaying in the center the image result
(sorry if my English is not so good, but I hope it is understandable)

do you think that you can use it in the game?
I know that maybe program it now is a waste of time
but I think it simplifies user navigation
and I just wondering to know if it is possible to implement it in the future

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #81 on: January 19, 2013, 01:40:32 AM »
Ok, thank you
So you want there to be both "profile" and "profileneutral" categories together? That is the part I was confused about, I somewhat assumed that they were one. But I can see now that it's better to have them separated. However, because they're so close, it's easy to be left with picture that you (girlpack creator) want to have in both - very easy, because lot of emotional pictures will get filtered into happy/sad/anger categories, so almost everything left in "profile" after sorting will be pictures with normal expression (=good for both). It can be solved easily by duplicating that picture, but I was wondering...

Can it be scripted that the game will be choosing picture from more picture types then one? Because, for example, if all screens that were previously using "profile" pictures will now use "profile + profileneutral" pictures, while emotion screen will just use "profileneutral" pictures (even better "neutral">"profileneutral">"profile" to have every possibility) that would solve it more elegantly.
(a very minor issue, I know, just using it to better understand how it all work)

I think so, it should be doable to choose pictures from different categories if 'profile' or anything else is requested but I'll have to take a look at the method to say for sure. Maybe we can do away with normal profile all together, nothing will have to be changed in code, just tell the method to look for profileneutral category when 'profile' is requested but doesn't exists. It is simply that right now "profile" is the only category that absolutely must exists but that can be changed with one line of code. I guess you might be right, there is a good chance that we'll get rid of profile for future packs all together :)
Like what we're doing?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #82 on: January 19, 2013, 01:48:46 AM »
Perfect, i will check immediately the wood skin  ;D

just one question:
of my old GUI concept I particularly like the screen of the daily report :

the way it works is simple:
clicking on the images you can see the results of girls divided by brothel and for every girl by clicking scroll through the customers of the evening displaying in the center the image result
(sorry if my English is not so good, but I hope it is understandable)

do you think that you can use it in the game?
I know that maybe program it now is a waste of time
but I think it simplifies user navigation
and I just wondering to know if it is possible to implement it in the future

Yeah, I liked that as well but when you've disappeared I didn't want to steal the concept since you might have come back and got another team together, we would have two games in the making with exactly the same Next day interface :D

This is very easy to do, nothing major needs to be coded into the game to make this screen work by the way, so I would expect the workload to be at around 3 - 4 hours tops. There will also be an important events screen and brothel reports screen so we may have to work it into the design. I just wanted to use what we have and add a bunch of buttons to resort the girls and other stuff that will finds it's way into report in the future.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #83 on: January 19, 2013, 06:45:48 AM »
I was thinking about some form of a failed slave revolt taking place in the country that was squashed but with very significant losses so now slaves are not allowed to train in battle magic or combat
So we talk about postwar world after all?  :)

Here some general pics. Let me know if you need more specific images.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 07:58:48 AM by DarkTl »

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #84 on: January 19, 2013, 10:57:29 AM »
So we talk about postwar world after all?  :)

Here some general pics. Let me know if you need more specific images.

Edit:
And don't nuke PyTFall, you forgot to rename profile pics for Aegis and that broke it today once already :)

Should be enough for now, I'll see if I can start laying the groundwork for girlsmeet system tonight.

###########################################
Damn it! My noobiness as a programmer is definitely showing... Took me almost 3 hours to code and debug this:

Code: [Select]
        def getcityGirlsList(self, char):
            self.cityGirlsList = []
            for entry in char:
                if char[entry].get('location') == 'city':
                    self.cityGirlsList.append(entry)                       

def getGMLists(self, char, day):

if self.gml_reshuffle == day:
                self.getcityGirlsList(char)
                self.ParkGatesList = []

while len(self.cityGirlsList) > 0:

for entry in self.cityGirlsList:
                        if len(self.ParkGatesList) < 3:
                                self.ParkGatesList.append(self.cityGirlsList.pop(random.randrange(len(self.cityGirlsList))))

else:
                            break   

break

if self.gml_reshuffle == day:
                self.gml_reshuffle = day + random.randint(5,7)

But this was the most complicated part of girlsmeet system codewise... From here on it will be just screens, pictures + buttons and that is by far the easy part. What this code'll do for us is creating lists from random city girls for girlsmeet screens (we can pick an amount of girls for every screen as we please) and reshuffle those every five to seven days.

###########################################
And last update for tonight:

First two pics introduce new location (Park Gates):

Third and fourth:
Girls appear after the girlsmeet button is clicked, disappear if clicked again. Each of the girl's pictures is a button in itself, it highlights when player hovers with mouse over it and if clicked, calls for something similar to interaction window. New set of girls 9 days later (Overlaps are more than possible since we do not have that many girls to work with)

The idea is to talk and action girls into joining up with you. From here on out it is just robotic work, adding new locations, improving the screens and adding interactions/events...

Last: Just a couple random pics from interaction scripts night has been working on with use of profile'feelings' categories:

I am going to get some sleep...
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 06:09:39 PM by Xela »
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #85 on: January 20, 2013, 06:46:19 AM »

And don't nuke PyTFall, you forgot to rename profile pics for Aegis and that broke it today once already :)
Oops  :D
Well, when I made packs for wm ex I tested each of them in game before uploading to avoid any mistakes. When we'll have more or less stable and working version of PyTFall I can do the same.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 06:55:19 AM by DarkTl »

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #86 on: January 20, 2013, 08:27:58 AM »
Oops  :D
Well, when I made packs for wm ex I tested each of them in game before uploading to avoid any mistakes. When we'll have more or less stable and working version of PyTFall I can do the same.

LoL

Now that is not fair :)
Current version of PyTFall is not playable yet due to the lack of content and advanced functionality but it is both working and stable.

Anyway:

Plans for tonight:

- Add a couple more places
- Add interactions menu for girlsmeets opening an avenue of work for modders who want to write for the game

I will start in a couple of hours...
#####################################

Tried to start coding 4 times but damn headaches kept getting in the way. I've only managed to add a new place (for the first time, without new label, just a new screen). Taking a page out of Otherworld's book, instead of going there straight from the citymap, you have to go to park gates first and than move around (pressing an arrow button on screen). Basically, I've learned a couple new RenPy functions that might come useful later. Now I need to figure out how I want to proceed with girlsmeet interactions and I'll try to code that in if I have time tomorrow.

New screens:

« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 05:56:19 PM by Xela »
Like what we're doing?

Offline nighthalkex

« Reply #87 on: January 20, 2013, 06:37:41 PM »
So, just a kind of important thing:

In my folder (nighthalkex), inside the shared folder PyTFall, there is a Hinata folder that I just updated. I put some new pics that I found but the important part is that I created a few new categories. I did that for the action Go Out, in the interaction menu. There were no pics for those, so I had to find them and create those categories. I am just posting this here so the guys doing girl packs or hunting for picks could know what to look for and what to name them.

So, the new categories are:

date
datebeach
ent
shop

That is all  ;D

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #88 on: January 20, 2013, 07:16:24 PM »
So, just a kind of important thing:

In my folder (nighthalkex), inside the shared folder PyTFall, there is a Hinata folder that I just updated. I put some new pics that I found but the important part is that I created a few new categories. I did that for the action Go Out, in the interaction menu. There were no pics for those, so I had to find them and create those categories. I am just posting this here so the guys doing girl packs or hunting for picks could know what to look for and what to name them.

So, the new categories are:

date
datebeach
ent
shop

That is all  ;D

ent = entertainment
shop = shopping

Not all members of Dev team decided to join the shared folder so what those categories are supposed to show will remain a mystery until we include those in another prealpha release :)

Also, soon I'll put some time into img method to make sure new advanced categories fall back to simpler categories and if those don't exist, fall to profile. Another thing I've been putting off for to long is writing a well commented advanced interaction to give an example of what game is already capable of... I'll add that to girlsmeet interactions after I'm done with it.
Like what we're doing?

Offline OverHao

« Reply #89 on: January 20, 2013, 10:30:58 PM »
I put the layout of some screens in the dropbox folder let me know if they fit  ;)

when I'm done with the layouts I'll start working on real graphics
for now I'm thinking of keeping a skin of wood, parchment and metal
any advice is welcome