devolution

Author Topic: General Discussion  (Read 3788401 times)

Offline CherryWood

Re: PyTFall Dev Thread: Writers needed!
« Reply #180 on: January 29, 2013, 03:29:31 PM »
Ok, I will try to be more specific from now on...  if my inexperience allow that, sorry

I would like to know your option about my idea how minor events (dunno how to call it) should work, so I can start working on them if you like it, or rethink that if not.

I imagine these events to be rather small and unimportant, just to spice up things a bit. For example, a scene where a flat-chested girl will comment a girl with big boobs.  Just a background, questgirl pictures, few lines of text - few clicks and it's gone.

This should be happening for girls player already have. The easiest would be using a predestined girls for that, for example it will check if player have these girls and then show [Chie] commenting [Hinata]. Advantage here is in using known pictures and characters, but also limited with that combination of girls. I think game like this would benefit from more generic approach that will support all potential girlpacks and I want to aim for something like this:

based on the event specifications, game will check all player girls for [flat chest] and [big boobs] traits. If found any, it will select two participants from these randomly and use their names and questpictures in event. And player will see the same background and text, but It will now be [randomly chosen one from his flat chested girls] commenting [randomly chosen one from his big boob girls].

Implementation: I'm somewhat opposed to showing these without warning on screen like it happen in most J-games. You know, you want to do something on next turn, but then all of these start showing... can be annoying.
1) maybe put it somewhere in report or in some sort of message system? like "you have one new minor event to see" button that will show when its available and it will play when clicked
2) maybe create a permanent button for that? Like location in city "visit your brothel", "check your girls" or anything. Click and it will show event if there is one, or some generic message if not. I will lessen the "living" feel a bit, but I can see the advantage of it, because it will allow all of this script to be cleaned under one button and not mess with new day stuff in any way.

Is that ok? I know we are not at that part of a plan yet, but I wanted to ask now,  because for example, to have it work this way I would like to suggest more traits or something that would describe girls more.

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #181 on: January 29, 2013, 04:20:54 PM »
I imagine these events to be rather small and unimportant, just to spice up things a bit. For example, a scene where a flat-chested girl will comment a girl with big boobs.  Just a background, questgirl pictures, few lines of text - few clicks and it's gone.
Personally, I like the idea. It also could be useful much later, when (if) relationships between characters will be implemented.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
  • "It's like hunting cows"
« Reply #182 on: January 29, 2013, 04:21:37 PM »
Yeap, that's a nice idea for an event. I figure something like this shouldn't happen on Next Day but for example, as you enter girlmanagement screen, there is small chance for an event to take place (small chance in order not to flood game with those events). If such an event was chanced into happening, a flashy button appears on the screen, inviting player to take a look. These buttons could appear practically on any screen in the game. I have a bunch of those events planned already.

As for more traits, game doesn't care about how many traits there are so any amount of traits will work. If you think we need more than we have now (We have 1 called a 'Dummy' trait I used for testing :) ), you can simply start making those if you have some spare time.

Personally, I like the idea. It also could be useful much later, when (if) relationships between characters will be implemented.

I figure events like this will appear long before relationship between characters. Relationships between characters will include many things eventually even falling in love for two girls that have a high lesbian stat. Also each girl will have stuff that she likes, hates, loves, dislikes, envies, wishes to posses and maybe more. Those can be anything, from people to her favorite dish in the restaurant and can be specified in .xml file or chosen randomly by the game. The thing is that all of that can only be implemented after the simple version of the game will be released and hopefully there will be more people involved in the project because while it is remarkably easy to program, things like these require an absolutely insane amount of content that our small team simply incapable to provide.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 04:34:38 PM by Xela »
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #183 on: January 29, 2013, 04:43:06 PM »
Hm, making traits sounds interesting. I'll give it a try.

Lets start with traits. I would say that the system is ready and working, needs testing obviously and traits themselves. If anyone is up to it, grab the file in the shared folder, throw it into your own folder and add traits as you see them, we can balance those out later, when game pace is clearer.
How can I get access to this shared folder? Shouldn't you send me an invitation (as dropbox offers me when I try to share some random folder) or something?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #184 on: January 29, 2013, 05:03:27 PM »
Hm, making traits sounds interesting. I'll give it a try.
How can I get access to this shared folder? Shouldn't you send me an invitation (as dropbox offers me when I try to share some random folder) or something?

I've asked you to PM me your DB id or your Email so I could send you an invite two times already :) Since you've never replied, I assumed you didn't want it, is you DB email same as you used to register here?
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #185 on: January 30, 2013, 05:20:28 AM »
Now that's strange, I don't have any mails or PMs lately. I'll send you my email adress via PM just in case, but it's still the same, I have notifications there when I get PMs here, and I even use it when I forget my dropbox password to restore it. Since I've uploaded several files to dropbox, you should already know my id there, it's eight-digit number in all my links.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 05:49:06 AM by DarkTl »

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #186 on: January 30, 2013, 11:32:48 AM »
OK, I start to work on traits now. Just one thing, I don't quite understand what "effects name" string does. Could you give a couple of examples?

Offline CherryWood

« Reply #187 on: January 30, 2013, 02:11:08 PM »
thank you, I will try to work on that for a while... but I'm not sure if It be of any use, because I'm much more hopeless in coding then I thought I am.  I spend 6 hours trying to add a trait "clumsy" that would increase girl's upkeep, only to get myself confused more  :(

@DarkTl  You will work on traits? Great, then I will wait and add mine after it, if I still miss some.

I'm also not sure about effect flags. Can we call a trait by it's id or we need all traits to have a flag? Or is it only for grouping similar traits?

« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 04:06:38 PM by CherryWood »

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #188 on: January 30, 2013, 03:33:15 PM »
thank you, I will try to work on that for a while... but I'm not sure if It be of any use, because I'm much more hopeless in coding then I thought I am.  I spend 6 hours trying to add a trait "clumsy" that would increase girl's upkeep, only to get myself confused more  :(

That is not possible. Traits can modify current, maximum and minimum of stats, girl's upkeep is a function. While it is perfectly possible to write code that would allow modders to change value of girl's upkeep, noone asked me to code that in.

Also, ask questions in PM if it is about a very specific part of code you do not understand or here if it is a general question. Especially if you took time to figure out the 'Question' renpy game and went through Tifa's quest. Just compile a list of questions and I'll answer them one by one.

OK, I start to work on traits now. Just one thing, I don't quite understand what "effects name" string does. Could you give a couple of examples?

I cannot give any examples :(. Effect sets girl's personal flag, since girl's flags are currently not being used in a single place in the game, effects are pretty useless so I would just ignore it for now.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #189 on: January 30, 2013, 03:39:11 PM »
That is not possible. Traits can modify current, maximum and minimum of stats, girl's upkeep is a function. While it is perfectly possible to write code that would allow modders to change value of girl's upkeep, noone asked me to code that in.
I always thought it should be part of jobs logic, not traits. Because different traits have different influence on different jobs.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #190 on: January 30, 2013, 03:42:20 PM »
I always thought it should be part of jobs logic, not traits. Because different traits have different influence on different jobs.

Yeap, by the way, if you get interesting ideas for traits you create as to how they should effect jobs, put them in separate file in your folder. I think I'll finally have 3 - 4 hours to code in tomorrow and if I get to the jobs, trying to put a couple of those in might be fun.
Like what we're doing?

Offline CherryWood

« Reply #191 on: January 30, 2013, 04:23:14 PM »
I was able to finally get it to work after another looking at functions.rpy (that file is really something, I never even heard of half of these functions before). I just added another self.upkeep stat under sGirl class that this <mod upkeep = '10' /> line in traits.xml can modify and then added it's value to getUpkeep formula. Really blunt way to do that, but Hey, I'm happy to see my first attempt to do something  :)

I think it makes sense for some traits to increase upkeep... I was looking into this with a clumsy girl, girl wearing expensive clothes in work (=picture based) and some of these non-human girls and robots that needs extra maintenance or food in mind. 

I was thinking about effect flags as a some way to put traits together for events and customers. Mark Splendid Body+Great Arse+Elegant+Cute as pretty, mark each small scars+scars+horrific scars as scars, artificial body+demon as non human etc... It would be much easier to add potential unique traits later that way, new "rocket punch" trait can have it's unique numbers and description, but it will be considered same as "Strong magic" in arena by its"dangerous" flag. (easier then adding new traits id to all events)
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 05:15:51 PM by CherryWood »

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #192 on: January 30, 2013, 04:45:53 PM »
I was looking into this with a clumsy girl, girl wearing expensive clothes in work (=picture based) and some of these non-human girls and robots that needs extra maintenance or food in mind.
Good idea. With Xela's permission I'll add it to some traits.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 04:47:26 PM by DarkTl »

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #193 on: January 30, 2013, 04:55:30 PM »
I was able to finally get it to work after another looking at functions.rpy (that file is really something, I never even heard of half of these functions before). I just added another self.upkeep stat under sGirl class that this <mod upkeep = '10' /> line in traits.xml can modify and then added it's value to getUpkeep formula. Really blunt way to do that, but Hey, I'm happy to see my first attempt to do something  :)

I still think it makes sense for a trait to increase upkeep... I was looking into this with a clumsy girl, girl wearing expensive clothes in work (=picture based) and some of these non-human girls and robots that needs extra maintenance or food in mind.

What you did there is called programming, not modding (strictly speaking) since you've modified the base code. In any case, that will only work on your PC unless the dev version is upgraded with it.

Good idea. With Xela's permission I'll add it to some traits.

I don't mind, you figure it out, I have no idea how CW coded that in but I guess setting upkeep to 0 and having it modified to whatever by traits is the best bet.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #194 on: January 30, 2013, 06:12:35 PM »
I guess setting upkeep to 0 and having it modified to whatever by traits is the best bet.
Illogically. Then upkeep of usual, inconspicuous girl without any traits would be free. Or we must create a trait for everything, even for simple human being.