Author Topic: General Discussion  (Read 3789040 times)

Offline DarkTl

Re: SimBrothel: -PyTFall- Dev Thread: Writers needed!
« Reply #285 on: February 16, 2013, 12:21:05 PM »
I'll start with the easiest part, dance. Check my folder in dropbox.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
  • "It's like hunting cows"
« Reply #286 on: February 16, 2013, 12:26:14 PM »
I'll start with the easiest part, dance. Check my folder in dropbox.

Kewl. I am wrapping up basecode for Service job right now. Fairly close to some basic testing :)

PS: I like all the pics :) I wonder if we can simply use all of those with random pics every time player enters the screen :D
Like what we're doing?

Offline dorkosaurus

« Reply #287 on: February 16, 2013, 03:58:29 PM »
what about this generic storyline:

main character just graduated from business school and is now in the process of starting their own business.  Takes a loan to start it all up.  Eventually, main character's shop becomes a pretty good adventurer's item shop.

Turns out the loan was a really bad loan and the gangs starts extorting the main character for money.  Being forced to expand his or her business to cover different niches, main character hires "workers" for a bar and brothel expansion to fill a niche that is missing in the local area.

Then here is where the player takes over, goals are to meet the minimum extortion costs per month that rises at a linear rate while trying to balance training/gearing up warrior girls to fight off the gangs or whatever.

The player is in charge of hiring and managing workers for the itemshop/brothel while trying to fund for training and gear for warrior type girls.

This would make sense for warrior type classes to actually stick around in a brothel since the main character is offering paid training and discounts on equipment while also factoring in why he or she would actually want to train warriors for their brothel.  You can further expand gameplay by simulating an item shop. 

Perhaps hiring girls to fabricate generic items that slowly sells overtime, and placing items/loot hauled from warrior's quests to be sold.  Obviously the player needs to buy supplies to fabricate items, and need to supply the warriors for the quests.  This would prevent the player from becoming instantly rich after a really successful random quest run and would slow the inflow of cash to make quest running not instantly profitable.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #288 on: February 16, 2013, 04:25:26 PM »
what about this generic storyline:

main character just graduated from business school and is now in the process of starting their own business.  Takes a loan to start it all up.  Eventually, main character's shop becomes a pretty good adventurer's item shop.

Turns out the loan was a really bad loan and the gangs starts extorting the main character for money.  Being forced to expand his or her business to cover different niches, main character hires "workers" for a bar and brothel expansion to fill a niche that is missing in the local area.

Then here is where the player takes over, goals are to meet the minimum extortion costs per month that rises at a linear rate while trying to balance training/gearing up warrior girls to fight off the gangs or whatever.

The player is in charge of hiring and managing workers for the itemshop/brothel while trying to fund for training and gear for warrior type girls.

This would make sense for warrior type classes to actually stick around in a brothel since the main character is offering paid training and discounts on equipment while also factoring in why he or she would actually want to train warriors for their brothel.  You can further expand gameplay by simulating an item shop. 

Perhaps hiring girls to fabricate generic items that slowly sells overtime, and placing items/loot hauled from warrior's quests to be sold.  Obviously the player needs to buy supplies to fabricate items, and need to supply the warriors for the quests.  This would prevent the player from becoming instantly rich after a really successful random quest run and would slow the inflow of cash to make quest running not instantly profitable.

Bit clumsy.

Also would require an advanced items system for the SimBro version.
Like what we're doing?

Offline dorkosaurus

« Reply #289 on: February 16, 2013, 04:43:38 PM »
Bit clumsy.

Also would require an advanced items system for the SimBro version.

hmmm why not have an advanced item system? Maybe sometime later down the line when all the other mechanics are done?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #290 on: February 16, 2013, 05:05:12 PM »
hmmm why not have an advanced item system? Maybe sometime later down the line when all the other mechanics are done?

Because the plan was to stick with the original SimBrothel design with new features. If advanced items system is installed, I doubt that we even need a simbro version then because it will open an avenue to insane amount of interesting quests and plotlines. I want a simple game first, more advanced stuff later.
Like what we're doing?

Offline dorkosaurus

« Reply #291 on: February 16, 2013, 05:07:36 PM »
Because the plan was to stick with the original SimBrothel design with new features. If advanced items system is installed, I doubt that we even need a simbro version then because it will open an avenue to insane amount of interesting quests and plotlines. I want a simple game first, more advanced stuff later.

oh i guess i should have read up on what the plan was.  Silly me for skipping around on the thread then.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #292 on: February 16, 2013, 05:37:47 PM »
oh i guess i should have read up on what the plan was.  Silly me for skipping around on the thread then.

It's ok.

Anyway, I've been tracking a nasty error and right now I am completely sure that it is a renpy screen design issue and not a code issue (my code). I am also fairly sure it is an actual error and not some weird RenPy design feature. Tomorrow I'll find a workaround (there are a few dozen things I can try and it will definitely be fixed.) Or to be more exact, not fixed, since it is impossible to fix without modifying the framework itself that would take days for one stupid little issue, but will simply be done in a different manner.

PS: I am going to sleep but if anyone from States or with insomnia can find cool looking buttons to put the jobs on or pictures that represent jobs (whore, servicegirl, striptease and rest) it would be VERY helpful because that is where the damn bug is in. I'll get some sleep and resume working on this first thing in the morning.

Otherwise, g'night.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 05:47:49 PM by Xela »
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #293 on: February 17, 2013, 04:29:18 AM »
I've found some pics for combat school.
What do you mean by service school? Maids, waitresses and so on?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #294 on: February 17, 2013, 04:54:42 AM »
I've found some pics for combat school.
What do you mean by service school? Maids, waitresses and so on?

Yeap, that's what I mean.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #295 on: February 17, 2013, 07:09:05 AM »
Schools are done. Let me know if you need more pics.

You have to explain jobs representing pics, I'm not sure I understand what do you need. Why and how to use such pics instead of buttons with text in the first place?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #296 on: February 17, 2013, 07:47:13 AM »
Schools are done. Let me know if you need more pics.

You have to explain jobs representing pics, I'm not sure I understand what do you need. Why and how to use such pics instead of buttons with text in the first place?

I did have time to start programming today yet but still have those plans for the evening. Trouble is that by some odd RenPy bug, fourth button doesn't display. I am 100% sure that it is not a fault of my code because any other element like text or picture instead of a button displays correctly.

When I get around to it, I'll try using different type of buttons. Alternately I though about using pictures as buttons like with brothels. In any case, that will be fixed.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #297 on: February 17, 2013, 09:15:38 AM »
Well, it's not hard to find some cleaning, resting and other icons for sure. Check icons folder in my dropbox folder for some examples.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #298 on: February 17, 2013, 10:03:09 AM »
Well, it's not hard to find some cleaning, resting and other icons for sure. Check icons folder in my dropbox folder for some examples.

Thanks, will try buttons first and fall back on that after.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #299 on: February 17, 2013, 10:08:15 AM »
Let me know if you won't have a choice but to use icons. Those are just examples, I will find a better ones then.