Author Topic: General Discussion  (Read 3788245 times)

Offline CherryWood

Re: SimBrothel: -PyTFall- Dev Thread: Writers needed!
« Reply #435 on: February 27, 2013, 03:35:11 PM »
I personally think all these are ok as traits. And please yes, add bisexual trait, I would like to use it.
And If I may suggest, remove average boobs trait, because it's unlogical to have it.
And maybe, because girl's magic power depends on stat, it would sound better to call magic traits "magic talent" or something and not "strong magic" because they can be overpowered by girls who just train more.

I also think, because traits are so easy to add and call, that there is not a reason to limit how much of them we create if they makes at least a bit sense. I was actually thinking of adding a lot of really minor traits just because I  have a few lines for them in girlmeets... But tell me if Im mistaken.

Also WM traits are not a superb example, because they were created for system that used random girls and not many of relevant text lines and events like we plan. For us, I believe, it would be best to look at, for example, at all of the girls from series that Xela requested and think what traits would be best to describe them...

To sum it, I believe that any quirk that at least 2-3 girls with enough pictures to be considered for game have, and you can think of at least one situation in game where it will be fun to use it, is traitworthy  :)  but that's me...

For background locations try taking a look on Roman's resources (that's the guy who I learned game programming from and programmer for Alkion).

These are great! Trully no need to look for more, unles we need something really special...

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
  • "It's like hunting cows"
« Reply #436 on: February 27, 2013, 03:55:55 PM »
Code: [Select]
import os
import pyexiv2
def load_tags(dirpath, filename):
    '''Returns a list of tags stored as XMP metadata in the file at imgpath.
    '''
    imgpath = os.path.join(dirpath, filename)
    # read the metadata of the file at imgpath
    metadata = pyexiv2.ImageMetadata(imgpath)
    metadata.read()
    # read the XMP tag information in the metadata
    if "Xmp.dc.subject" in self.metadata.xmp_keys:
        tags = metadata["Xmp.dc.subject"].value
    else:
        tags = []
    return tags
Here you go.

Using self. inside a function, really  ::)

Actually this will not work in RenPy but it's my job to know that. Function should look something like this:

def load_tags(imgpath):
        '''Returns a list of tags stored as XMP metadata in the file at imgpath.
        '''

# read the metadata of the file at imgpath
        metadata = pyexiv2.ImageMetadata(renpy.loader.transfn(imgpath))
        metadata.read()
        # read the XMP tag information in the metadata
        if "Xmp.dc.subject" in metadata.xmp_keys:
            tags = metadata["Xmp.dc.subject"].value
        else:
            tags = []
        return tags

This code requires the pyexiv2 library to run. I'm not sure how to package external libraries with RenPy. I've uploaded the offical installer of pyexiv2 as well as a zip with the contents of the installer to my dropbox folder. I think if you just copy the contents of the installer directly into a directory that is in the PYTHONPATH you should be fine. To find a directory that is on the PYTHONPATH include "print sys.argv[0]" somewhere in your code.

Took me about an hour but I think I've figured it out... I believe pyexiv2 was properly imported.

Btw, 'file = "%s/%s"%(imagedir,file)' is kinda dangerous on Windows. If whatever you feed this path into expects a UNIX path, all is well, but if that thing expects a windows path, this code will fail. If it is unsure what path convention should be used, it is better to use 'file = os.path.join(imagedir, file)', because that will always return a path valid for the current OS.

You would've been absolutely right if it was pure Python, what you suggest however has not even the slightest chance of working in RenPy.

file = "%s/%s"%(imagedir,file)

This was done proper taking the framework into consideration.

You are very right, Python is an interpreted language and therefore Python programs don't have a compile time - that's why I put the expression in parentheses. What I meant was that I would read the tags in the images when the game is packaged for a release, not at runtime when players load the game and certainly not during instantiation of a new character.

There are two problems here...

1) I have no f%cking idea on how to do that, save creating some form of persistent data and ship that with the game, that would take me a while to figure out.

2) WM and SimBrothel are NOT OW where you have just 7 - 8 girls that are VERY hard to mod (due to paperdolls). Modders in WM and SimBrothel want to add girls by 100s. It's not going to work if they have to mess with persistent data or go through me every single time they want to add a new girl...

This will be really slow for 15000 image files (think 15 minutes here, maybe more).

This is likely to be a dealbreaker because this makes modding the game that much harder... I may have just wasted 3 or 4 hours, still I learned something about a new package and that there are tags inside picture files (I seriously never had heard of that :D )

I don't think this is worth it in the end and now knowing that adding tags will make adding girls a lot harder because they take to long to read on gamestart, I think most people in development team that sided with adding tags to PyTFall will agree that image categories are a better bet for Next Gen of SimBro/WM even if they are a lot less powerful.

Another thing, I do not understand why are you messing around with this tags inside images BS. If you just used xml for this, you could load the required amount of data about images on runtime in a matter of seconds and xml database is likely to be easier to maintain. You can simply check inside a method that calls for the image, if it no longer exists or has been renamed by some nub, game simply chooses a different image... It would also solve the issue with modders not being able to add girls on gamestart. Simply have game look for picture.xml file inside image folder of each girl and load info from there...

=============================================================
All and all, I just got this error in the end :D

Function needs some form of filter for filetypes... Windows is messing us up :) Developers of this package should have thought of that by the way.

IOError: D:\Dev\Dropbox\SimBro Dev\renpy-6.14.1-sdk\SimBro PytFall v0.26/game\content/chars/persona4/Rise_Kujikawa/Thumbs.db: The file contains data of an unknown image type
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 04:00:59 PM by Xela »
Like what we're doing?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #437 on: February 27, 2013, 04:06:42 PM »
Nope, I mean Frigid, Lesbian, Hetero (I guess we can call it a "hidden trait", since if girl is not something else, she is a Hetero) and Bisexual.
I think it makes more sense than traits system. Because girl may or may not have any particular trait, but she can't have any sexual orientation at all. For example, take a look at Slavemaker, it has an "orientation bar" which changes during the game depending on girl actions rather than a fixed value.

You could tell the same about boobs, they can be small or huge, but they are exist anyway  :)
Current "boobs system" was taken from wm ex, but I begin to doubt that decision.
Of course, if it means a lot of work for you, than forget about it. Current system is working too, after all.

We can add orientation bar if desired, it's 10 minutes for me to write logic and 5 - 30 (depending on if we use a new style and graphics for the bar or go with default) to create the bar, but may I suggest this for WM version?

We are not going to have a boob system that can change because it cannot be reflected with pictures. Only in OW it makes some sense because there are paperdolls there.
Like what we're doing?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #438 on: February 27, 2013, 04:15:16 PM »
I personally think all these are ok as traits. And please yes, add bisexual trait, I would like to use it.
And If I may suggest, remove average boobs trait, because it's unlogical to have it.
And maybe, because girl's magic power depends on stat, it would sound better to call magic traits "magic talent" or something and not "strong magic" because they can be overpowered by girls who just train more.

I also think, because traits are so easy to add and call, that there is not a reason to limit how much of them we create if they makes at least a bit sense. I was actually thinking of adding a lot of really minor traits just because I  have a few lines for them in girlmeets... But tell me if Im mistaken.

Also WM traits are not a superb example, because they were created for system that used random girls and not many of relevant text lines and events like we plan. For us, I believe, it would be best to look at, for example, at all of the girls from series that Xela requested and think what traits would be best to describe them...

To sum it, I believe that any quirk that at least 2-3 girls with enough pictures to be considered for game have, and you can think of at least one situation in game where it will be fun to use it, is traitworthy  :)  but that's me...

These are great! Trully no need to look for more, unles we need something really special...

Sure, add as many traits as you like. Maybe we should make something other than traits...

I'll try to write another 50 lines of relevant code since all time today went into figuring out tagging system that may not even work out for us.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #439 on: February 27, 2013, 04:26:29 PM »
Why? If you mean lack of stat changing, then this trait only task is to block 3 other boob traits to avoid any conflicts.
And if you mean it purpose, well, many girls should use this trait. If I remember correctly that system, A = Small, B and C = Average, D = Big, more than D (very rare, but still exists, in life and in many titles) = Abnormally Large.

OK, make sense.

There is a reason. Because I, you, Xela or someone else should also write texts, events and checks for each of them. If you want to add some traits, sure, go ahead. You even can add them in that xml in my folder, or make you own, if you prefer it that way. But please don't add too many, like 100-200  :)

For us, I believe, it would be best to look at, for example, at all of the girls from series that Xela requested and think what traits would be best to describe them...
I don't have any objections, but if we are going to use a very large number of traits describing every detail, we probably should use wm ex stat system as well, where traits are cores of characters, and stats depending on traits and items only. Otherwise we'll quickly end up with overpowered girls.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 04:28:19 PM by DarkTl »

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #440 on: February 27, 2013, 04:32:52 PM »
Otherwise we'll quickly end up with overpowered girls.

This should be avoided at any cost. We can also make traits "weaker".
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #441 on: February 27, 2013, 04:46:42 PM »
Oh, and besides, if we'll have a trait for any or almost any characteristic, then there is no need in initial stats, because the character is completely described by initial traits already, and initial stats are coded within them.
I personally don't have anything against this idea. I would prefer to use many traits rather then some traits and some initial stats.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 04:48:24 PM by DarkTl »

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #442 on: February 27, 2013, 04:49:12 PM »
Oh, and besides, if we'll have a trait for any or almost any characteristic, then there is no need in initial stats, because the character is completely described by initial traits already, and initial stats are coded within them.

Hgehe, that's what happened in Alkion... We'll figure it out when we seriously start to balance the game.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #443 on: February 27, 2013, 05:01:44 PM »
Hgehe, that's what happened in Alkion...
That's not a good example  :D
I mean wm ex, as more or less playable game. It doesn't use initial stats, and it has more traits than wm. So if we take such system, and still allow player to train girls like in wm, we'll get a middle ground.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #444 on: February 27, 2013, 05:11:02 PM »
That's not a good example  :D
I mean wm ex, as more or less playable game. It doesn't use initial stats, and it has more traits than wm. So if we take such system, and still allow player to train girls like in wm, we'll get a middle ground.

Controlling all stats when girl is being created is remarcably easy in PyTFall, if we decide to go with traits only, we will not even have to remove stats from .xml files.

I've done my 50 lines of code (or rather changed 50 lines of code) for tonight. To tired to continue coding...
Like what we're doing?

Offline rudistoned

« Reply #445 on: February 28, 2013, 03:40:29 AM »
Using self. inside a function, really  ::)
I copied the code from a method, so I knew it was working and did not test it. Don't tell me a simple oversight like that caused you problems :P
You know, I could have just copied a nice, simple class that offers the same functionality. Would have been less effort for me and it would have worked without problems, because it's well tested code. However, I know you hate code not written specifically for PyTFall, so took the extra effort of copying together a function that does exactly what you asked me for. And here you are, complaining about an error that takes a few seconds to fix...

Actually this will not work in RenPy but it's my job to know that.
Why would it not work in RenPy? pyexiv2 knows nothing about RenPy, so giving it a path formatted RenPy-style should break, unless you are on Linux or pyexiv2 fixes the path itself. You told me specifically to write a function that takes a dirpath and a filename. Those two need to be joined into a filepath to be of any use. Don't come to me crying if I give you what you asked for...

Took me about an hour but I think I've figured it out... I believe pyexiv2 was properly imported.
Ah, the joy of using frameworks...

You would've been absolutely right if it was pure Python, what you suggest however has not even the slightest chance of working in RenPy.
It will definitely work in RenPy if you give it a correct path. Why should it not? RenPy does not prevent you from accessing the file system, does it?

I did not say something contrary to that statement. Read what I write.

There are two problems here...

1) I have no f%cking idea on how to do that, save creating some form of persistent data and ship that with the game, that would take me a while to figure out.

2) WM and SimBrothel are NOT OW where you have just 7 - 8 girls that are VERY hard to mod (due to paperdolls). Modders in WM and SimBrothel want to add girls by 100s. It's not going to work if they have to mess with persistent data or go through me every single time they want to add a new girl...
1) I already solved that problem and it is also not hard to do :P
It goes something like that
# store persistent data after it has been generated
import pickle
f = open(filepath, "wb")
pickle.dump(python_object_containing_data_to_store, f)
f.close()
# load persistent data when you need it
f = open(filepath, "rb")
python_object_containing_data_to_store = pickle.load(f)
f.close()

2) So? Have a button inside the games option menu, that recreates the persistent data when clicked. Or, if you think modders are too dumb to do that, detect changes automatically and recreate the persistent data when needed.

This is likely to be a dealbreaker because this makes modding the game that much harder... I may have just wasted 3 or 4 hours, still I learned something about a new package and that there are tags inside picture files (I seriously never had heard of that :D )
I warned you two times already that reading all image files upon character instantiation will be very slow. It's not my fault if you don't read what I write.
Btw, depending on how many characters you intend to instantiate at once, it might not be a real problem. One to five might be okay, fifty will be a problem. Still, IMHO it is not a good idea to recreate that information on every character instantation.

Another thing, I do not understand why are you messing around with this tags inside images BS. If you just used xml for this, you could load the required amount of data about images on runtime in a matter of seconds and xml database is likely to be easier to maintain.
You do realize Otherworld takes about one minute to load all the girl XML data, and they have fewer images than you plan to have? No, you can't load tags for 15000 images in a matter of seconds from XML, especially if they are spread over several hundred XML files (one file per girl).
I use tags inside images because they are easier to maintain than XML files (for example, they don't need to change if the path to the file changes...) and they can be loaded faster than XML files if you store the information in a pickled object (=the persistent data we were talking about before). XML files are persistent data too, are they not?

I also offered to do this in XML for PyTFall, but you never came back to me about that, so I assumed you don't want to do that.

Function needs some form of filter for filetypes... Windows is messing us up :) Developers of this package should have thought of that by the way.

IOError: D:\Dev\Dropbox\SimBro Dev\renpy-6.14.1-sdk\SimBro PytFall v0.26/game\content/chars/persona4/Rise_Kujikawa/Thumbs.db: The file contains data of an unknown image type
Well, they did think of that. That's why you get this nice error message telling you exactly what's wrong. They wrote a parser for image metadata, so why would you give it a non-image file?

I've solved all these problems already, but you want to learn the hard way. Here is your filter.
import os
filename, ext = os.path.splitext(filepath_or_filename)
if ext.lower() in ["jpg", "png"]:
    load_tags(filepath)

You know, Xela, I've tried being polite with you, but you either don't get polite or you don't like polite. So, here you go, an answer matching your tone.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 03:46:17 AM by rudistoned »

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #446 on: February 28, 2013, 06:09:44 AM »
Finally Rest texts are done.
Except for Malicious trait, for unknown reason I was unable to think up any decent Rest event for it, so any suggestions are welcomed. Check for errors is welcomed too. Feel free to add even more events if you want.

Now when I'll have some free time, I'll begin to create Naruto girls packs step by step.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 06:18:43 AM by DarkTl »

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #447 on: February 28, 2013, 06:57:04 AM »
You know, Xela, I've tried being polite with you, but you either don't get polite or you don't like polite. So, here you go, an answer matching your tone.

I am not a big fan of polite but reasonably polite with a small joke or a little stab here and there doesn't hurt anyone. If I came straightout offensive at any point, I do apologize! I greatly appreciate any help people offer to develop PyTFall!

I copied the code from a method, so I knew it was working and did not test it. Don't tell me a simple oversight like that caused you problems
You know, I could have just copied a nice, simple class that offers the same functionality. Would have been less effort for me and it would have worked without problems, because it's well tested code. However, I know you hate code not written specifically for PyTFall, so took the extra effort of copying together a function that does exactly what you asked me for. And here you are, complaining about an error that takes a few seconds to fix...

LoL

It was a joke, it didn't cause problems and it did take a few seconds to fix.

Why would it not work in RenPy? pyexiv2 knows nothing about RenPy, so giving it a path formatted RenPy-style should break, unless you are on Linux or pyexiv2 fixes the path itself. You told me specifically to write a function that takes a dirpath and a filename. Those two need to be joined into a filepath to be of any use. Don't come to me crying if I give you what you asked for...

First, where the feck did you get a hint of crying?   ???

Quote from: xela
Instead, lets say you write a function that loads tags from the file and we call it "rudis_tagloader()" that takes file path and filename as argument (simply a variable called file in the above function) and returns a list or a dict of tags:

content[key].__dict__['gfx'][acttype] = [dict(file = rudis_tagloader(file))]       

Not 'specifically', I actually said 'argument' that is a single variable that includes filename and filepath... But the function you wrote for me did exactly what is required otherwise so it's all good in the end!

It will definitely work in RenPy if you give it a correct path. Why should it not? RenPy does not prevent you from accessing the file system, does it?

I did not say something contrary to that statement. Read what I write.

Contrary to your statement, you should read what I write:

Quote from: rudistoned
Btw, 'file = "%s/%s"%(imagedir,file)' is kinda dangerous on Windows. If whatever you feed this path into expects a UNIX path, all is well, but if that thing expects a windows path, this code will fail. If it is unsure what path convention should be used, it is better to use 'file = os.path.join(imagedir, file)', because that will always return a path valid for the current OS.

You've basically said that it would have been better to use file = os.path.join(imagedir, file).

I said that it would have been better to use file = os.path.join(imagedir, file) if programming environment was pure Python. However changing that line of code in RenPy:

to

file = os.path.join(imagedir, file)

simply breaks the game. The reason for that RenPy as it has it's own way of accessing system. It's not something you could have known and as I said in my previous post, it is my responsibility to know that, but you'll have to agree that it is not very useful or rpoductive for you to keep insisting that using file = os.path.join(imagedir, file) should work in RenPy, even after I specifically told you that it isn't, taking framework into consideration...

Ah, the joy of using frameworks...

LoL

You're right, that sucked. But I can do it in 2 minutes next time since I now have learned where to put the module and that two of RenPy modules have to be imported into every .py file for the reasons I did not fully understand.

Framework does have it's charms as well! It's not only downsides :)

1) I already solved that problem and it is also not hard to do :P
It goes something like that
# store persistent data after it has been generated
import pickle
f = open(filepath, "wb")
pickle.dump(python_object_containing_data_to_store, f)
f.close()
# load persistent data when you need it
f = open(filepath, "rb")
python_object_containing_data_to_store = pickle.load(f)
f.close()

2) So? Have a button inside the games option menu, that recreates the persistent data when clicked. Or, if you think modders are too dumb to do that, detect changes automatically and recreate the persistent data when needed.
I warned you two times already that reading all image files upon character instantiation will be very slow. It's not my fault if you don't read what I write.
Btw, depending on how many characters you intend to instantiate at once, it might not be a real problem. One to five might be okay, fifty will be a problem. Still, IMHO it is not a good idea to recreate that information on every character instantation.
You do realize Otherworld takes about one minute to load all the girl XML data, and they have fewer images than you plan to have? No, you can't load tags for 15000 images in a matter of seconds from XML, especially if they are spread over several hundred XML files (one file per girl).
I use tags inside images because they are easier to maintain than XML files (for example, they don't need to change if the path to the file changes...) and they can be loaded faster than XML files if you store the information in a pickled object (=the persistent data we were talking about before). XML files are persistent data too, are they not?

I also offered to do this in XML for PyTFall, but you never came back to me about that, so I assumed you don't want to do that.

Well, they did think of that. That's why you get this nice error message telling you exactly what's wrong. They wrote a parser for image metadata, so why would you give it a non-image file?

I've solved all these problems already, but you want to learn the hard way. Here is your filter.
import os
filename, ext = os.path.splitext(filepath_or_filename)
if ext.lower() in ["jpg", "png"]:
    load_tags(filepath)

All of your fixes and suggestions make sense, I'll have to try to adapt them to RenPy but I want to write some game code for now (Not exactly want to but I can rarely work on this undisturbed during the week and figuring these things out takes concentration and time) so I'll try to do it this weekend.

I remember that you offered .XML and I never came back to you about that because I had no knowledge of time that is required to load tags directly from images.

It is another option but I'll try to make it work as you suggest it right now first.

And why would either of us give a damn about what happens in OtherWorld? I wonder how fast PytherWorld can do it? We are programming our games in Python for a reason, do we not? Take a look at traits.xml file Dark and SW created for PyTFall, it's a very reasonably sized .xml file:

x = 400
      while x > 0:
          traits = load_content('traits')
          x -= 1

This code loads it 400 times. Every trait (there are like 50 of them already, maybe more) becomes an instance of Traits class. load_content() function formats the data to the required structure using a xml parser and parse() function (called from inside of load_content()) iterates over every line of the file, making sure it's all parsed into the class properly, reformatting strings, taking care of booleans and so on.

It's a lot of work and it only takes 9 second for the game to load (entire game, not just to load traits file 400 times) so .xml can at least be used as a backup option.

You said it yourself, hardware gets faster than we can program :)

PS: And let's not fight over BS, I'll try to be more on target in future posts!

=========================================================
@Dark and SW:

You guys are not allowed to leave comments inside xml trunks:

<trait

id="Alien"   #For demons, angels, etc.

desc="This girl has come from a distant dimension with absolutely other laws of physics, magic and society."
      temp='0'>

Do it like this:
   <trait

id="Alien"   

desc="This girl has come from a distant dimension with absolutely other laws of physics, magic and society."
      temp='0'> #For demons, angels, etc.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 08:25:49 AM by Xela »
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #448 on: February 28, 2013, 07:10:46 AM »
You guys are not allowed to leave comments inside xml trunks:
OK. It should be fine now.
I suddenly remembered one more thing. WM has one unpleasant feature: if you want to add one or several girls in the game, you have to start a new game after adding their files, otherwise game will ignore them. I don't know if Aika and Crazy have fixed it, but Future has fixed it definitely.
Hopefully, PytFall won't have such restriction.

« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 07:20:00 AM by DarkTl »

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #449 on: February 28, 2013, 08:25:13 AM »
OK. It should be fine now.
I suddenly remembered one more thing. WM has one unpleasant feature: if you want to add one or several girls in the game, you have to start a new game after adding their files, otherwise game will ignore them. I don't know if Aika and Crazy have fixed it, but Future has fixed it definitely.
Hopefully, PytFall won't have such restriction.

I am not sure it is possible to remove such a restriction in PytFall without taking extraordinary steps (Modifications to framework). What might be possible is to create a button that checks if new girls have been added to the game after you load the last save but it would be a weird button and I have no idea on which screen it belongs. It would have the same effect and would be quite easy to code (like 10 minutes). If it must be done automatically every time you load a saved game, I have to ask Roman (Alkion developer) or PyTom (RenPy developer) on how to approach that.

But I'll take a look on RenPy forum just in case.
Like what we're doing?