Author Topic: General Discussion  (Read 3789321 times)

Offline DarkTl

Re: SimBrothel: -PyTFall- Dev Thread: Writers needed!
« Reply #450 on: February 28, 2013, 09:54:26 AM »
What might be possible is to create a button that checks if new girls have been added to the game after you load the last save but it would be a weird button and I have no idea on which screen it belongs.
I don't see any problems with a button, if it saves us a lot of time. Something like "Check for new girls in the city" in some public location, like City Hall, Market or City Gates, with corresponding tooltip.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
  • "It's like hunting cows"
« Reply #451 on: February 28, 2013, 10:42:11 AM »
I don't see any problems with a button, if it saves us a lot of time. Something like "Check for new girls in the city" in some public location, like City Hall, Market or City Gates, with corresponding tooltip.

I asked this question on forums, only if to learn something new. If noone knows of a good way (I know of a bad way actually, but it's way stupider than a button), I am 100% confident that I can make a failsafe button system :)
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 10:48:26 AM by Xela »
Like what we're doing?

Offline rudistoned

« Reply #452 on: February 28, 2013, 12:17:00 PM »
I am not a big fan of polite but reasonably polite with a small joke or a little stab here and there doesn't hurt anyone. If I came straightout offensive at any point, I do apologize! I greatly appreciate any help people offer to develop PyTFall!
It's okay, thank you for the clarification.

You've basically said that it would have been better to use file = os.path.join(imagedir, file).
No, I said it would be better to use "file = os.path.join(imagedir, file)" if whatever you need the path for expects a path formatted according to the conventions of the operating system ;-)

However changing that line of code in RenPy:

file = "%s/%s"%(imagedir,file)

to

file = os.path.join(imagedir, file)

simply breaks the game. The reason for that RenPy as it has it's own way of accessing system.
I realize that. My comment was aimed at bringing different path building conventions to your attention, so you don't try to use a RenPy-formatted path for pyexiv2, as that might break. Sorry if I told you something you already knew.

Framework does have it's charms as well! It's not only downsides :)
I know! I'm looking forward to people creating lots of nice quests :-)

All of your fixes and suggestions make sense, I'll have to try to adapt them to RenPy but I want to write some game code for now
Take your time. You can PM me if a question pops up.

And why would either of us give a damn about what happens in OtherWorld?
I used it as an example for a game that loads tag information from XML files. Yes, it's Flash, but I beleive that hard disk access is so slow that there will be almost no performance difference between reading XML from Flash and reading XML from Python.

I wonder how fast PytherWorld can do it?
Me too. I know loading my tag info for a several thousand image files causes a slight delay on a slow notebook harddisk, but I have to look up the exact number of tags loaded and measure how long it takes. Will report back on that one when I know more.

x = 400
      while x > 0:
          traits = load_content('traits')
          x -= 1

This code loads it 400 times.
No it does not. The XML file is read once, maybe a few times, then the operating system will cache it somewhere and also the harddisk will cache it into it's RAM(?) cache. So, this code basically gives you one to a few harddisk accesses and 390+ times where the file is read from some kind of RAM, which tremendously faster than harddisk access. You would need 400 separate XML files to simulate reading 400 XML files.

You said it yourself, hardware gets faster than we can program :)
That is certainly true, but hard disk access is kind of an exception. They are getting faster much slower than the other components. Solid state disks are a big performance increase, but almost nobody has one. I'm not saying we should worry a lot about accessing files on the disk, but there are limits to what can be done in a few seconds.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #453 on: February 28, 2013, 12:57:56 PM »
I realize that. My comment was aimed at bringing different path building conventions to your attention, so you don't try to use a RenPy-formatted path for pyexiv2, as that might break. Sorry if I told you something you already knew.

That is EXACTLY what I was thinking! And that is also what took me 3 hours to figure out. The only way to make it work was using RenPy formatted path. Maybe that is why you have to import something from RenPy into every single .py file of pyexiv2 module... but my knowledge of RenPy is also limited so I kept trying to reformat data using different os.path normalization methods on different stages of program and kept getting Windows path Errors and no such file exists errors.

It only occurred to me as the very last resort to try and force RenPy path transformation method and that is when pyexiv module started to function properly :)

This is something that seems insane to me but it was the only way to make it work.

Edit: One of the sh!ttiest things about RenPy is lack of advanced documentation, what is required to make a visual novel for someone who may not know nothing about programming at all is VERY well documented. Semi-difficult stuff like creating GUI elements in pure Python or RenPy languages is somewhat poorly explained and lack decent examples. But when it comes down to really advanced stuff, like inheritance from powerful RenPy classes to make your own custom ones, or unique cases when you want to do something out of general flow... I do not believe it is explained anywhere at all and it is assumed that you just have to open RenPy source files and figure it out for yourself, which is not really convenient to put it lightly :(

No it does not. The XML file is read once, maybe a few times, then the operating system will cache it somewhere and also the harddisk will cache it into it's RAM(?) cache. So, this code basically gives you one to a few harddisk accesses and 390+ times where the file is read from some kind of RAM, which tremendously faster than harddisk access. You would need 400 separate XML files to simulate reading 400 XML files.

That has never occurred to me...
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 01:13:13 PM by Xela »
Like what we're doing?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #454 on: February 28, 2013, 01:36:01 PM »
http://www.mediafire.com/?8z8p6ulsb2b7tz2

Someone has created a track for PyTFall. This is supposed to be battle but is kinda better suited for some event, place or a cave. Kind of reminds me of when Crono's Trigger crew traveled to 65 000 000 y. B.C.

Oh and this is for Dark or anyone else who speaks Russian and likes RPG:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/43556362/%D0%A2%D0%B5%D0%BC%D0%B0%20SAO%20-%20%D0%B3%D0%B8%D0%BC%D0%BD%20%D0%BF%D1%80%D0%BE%D1%85%D0%BE%D0%B4%D1%87%D0%B8%D0%BA%D0%BE%D0%B2%20-%2021%20-%20%D0%AF%20%D1%88%D0%B0%D0%B3%D0%B0%D1%8E%20%D0%BF%D0%BE%20%D0%BB%D0%B8%D1%81%D1%82%D0%B2%D0%B5....mp3

Edit:

Oh and looks like RenPy 6.15 is gonna be awesome, console and screens that take positional parameters are going to be beyond useful!

• An interactive console that allows you to type Ren'Py and python command, that can be accessed by typing ~.
  • Screens now take positional and named parameters,
  • Support for creating a replay gallery.
  • Voice improvements, including the ability to mute particular voices.
  • Support for skinning the launcher.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 01:52:47 PM by Xela »
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #455 on: February 28, 2013, 02:38:30 PM »
Oh and this is for Dark or anyone else who speaks Russian and likes RPG:
Heh, remindes me another band, "Epidemic". Which band is this? I don't see its name in file properties, and even google is unable to find anything decent.

Someone has created a track for PyTFall
If you looking for tracks for various locations, I suggest trying this OST from another game.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #456 on: February 28, 2013, 02:44:26 PM »
Heh, remindes me another band, "Epidemic". Which band is this? I don't see its name in file properties, and even google is unable to find anything decent.

No clue...
Like what we're doing?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #457 on: February 28, 2013, 03:07:07 PM »
OK. It should be fine now.
I suddenly remembered one more thing. WM has one unpleasant feature: if you want to add one or several girls in the game, you have to start a new game after adding their files, otherwise game will ignore them. I don't know if Aika and Crazy have fixed it, but Future has fixed it definitely.
Hopefully, PytFall won't have such restriction.

Done and done and without the need for any buttons :)

I received an answer on forums. One of those cases when RenPy really came through and it took me about 3 minutes to code it.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #458 on: March 01, 2013, 06:06:04 AM »
OK, let's clarify categories and their names once and for all to avoid any misunderstanding.

rest: rest_bed, rest_onsen, rest_garden, rest_beach and so on
blowjob pics: bj_deep, bj_titjob, bj_lickjob
normal sex: sex_69, sex_doggy, sex_got
anal: anal_69, anal_doggy, anal_got
lesbian: <------- which subcategories here?
mast for mastrubation
bdsm: <------- which subcategories here?
group: <------- which subcategories here?
a couple of battle sprites
profile with optional subcategories profileneutral, profilesad, profilehappy, profileangry
schools: dance, maid, etiquette, beauty, combat, (XXX = any sex pic, isn't it?)
shop for shopping
club for waitress (= maid school, isn't it?)
date, date_beach and so on
ent for entertainment (girl having fun of any kind or what?)
strip for striptease

Anything else? Like clean for cleaning (those pics are very rare even for popular characters)?
And do we still need quest sprites for each character? I doubt each of them will have a personal quest, after all. Or I'm wrong?
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 06:26:55 AM by DarkTl »

Offline rudistoned

« Reply #459 on: March 01, 2013, 06:40:29 AM »
Hey guys,

I timed timed tag loading in Pytherworld:
It took 2.7 seconds to load a database containing 4887 images and 44736 tags from a pickled python object in a binary file. This is necessary every time the program is loaded.
It took 216 seconds to create this pickled object by reading the tag information stored in the 4887 image files. This is necessary every time the program is released and every time a modder changes the tag information on the image files.

These times can probably be improved because I never looked into making this process faster - it was always fast enough for my requirements.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #460 on: March 01, 2013, 07:23:47 AM »
OK, let's clarify categories and their names once and for all to avoid any misunderstanding.

rest: rest_bed, rest_onsen, rest_garden, rest_beach and so on
blowjob pics: bj_deep, bj_titjob, bj_lickjob
normal sex: sex_69, sex_doggy, sex_got
anal: anal_69, anal_doggy, anal_got
lesbian: <------- which subcategories here?
mast for mastrubation
bdsm: <------- which subcategories here?
group: <------- which subcategories here?
profile with optional subcategories profileneutral, profilesad, profilehappy, profileangry
schools: dance, maid, etiquette, beauty, combat, (XXX = any sex pic, isn't it?)
shop for shopping
club for waitress (= maid school, isn't it?)
date, date_beach and so on
strip for striptease

Anything else? Like clean for cleaning (those pics are very rare even for popular characters)?
And do we still need quest sprites for each character? I doubt each of them will have a personal quest, after all. Or I'm wrong?

More or less, but please remove location properties for now. I still haven't given up on Rudi's idea of adding tags to images and location should definetly be a tag. Same for specific sexacts. Those should also definetly be tags. Otherwise we are keeping simpler image categories like data, maid, anal, rest and so on, also profileneutral, profilehappy and so on.

Work as we have until now but add new categories. Maid is for cleaning by the way, most popular girls have at least one of those. quests, I wanted there to be quests for any characters, not just unique once.

Hey guys,

I timed timed tag loading in Pytherworld:
It took 2.7 seconds to load a database containing 4887 images and 44736 tags from a pickled python object in a binary file. This is necessary every time the program is loaded.
It took 216 seconds to create this pickled object by reading the tag information stored in the 4887 image files. This is necessary every time the program is released and every time a modder changes the tag information on the image files.

These times can probably be improved because I never looked into making this process faster - it was always fast enough for my requirements.

I hope I can figure this out as well...
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #461 on: March 01, 2013, 08:06:38 AM »
Very well. So, to put it in a single format:
sex-related: sex, anal, blowjob, les, bdsm, mast, group

work/school: maid, strip, combat, etiquette, beauty, dance

sprites: battle, quest

other: date, rest, ent, shop, nude, profile, profilehappy, profileneutral, profilesad, profileangry
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 09:17:30 AM by DarkTl »

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #462 on: March 01, 2013, 08:44:12 AM »
Very well. So, to put it in a single format:
sex-related: sex, anal, blowjob, les, bdsm, mast, group

work/school: maid, strip, combat, etiquette, beauty, dance

sprites: battle, quest

other: date, rest, ent, shop, profile, profilehappy, profileneutral, profilesad, profileangry

Exactly! We will need that no matter what, if I figure out tag system and it works out for us, we add tags and use checks for those after image category is called.

If I don't figure out tags, we will create even more specific image categories from the once we already have.

BDSM and Group? That is with future in mind I guess. If we add some form of events where the girl gets raped or injured by costumers if security fails, we could use something for that as well.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 09:08:37 AM by Xela »
Like what we're doing?

Offline CherryWood

« Reply #463 on: March 01, 2013, 09:07:28 AM »
Do you think we need more than one?
yup, it was part of dates nighthalkex suggested, where you take girl out to have fun. But because these are not written yet, I kind of randomly put something in for first Naruto girls as I'm not sure what would fit...
By early Xela's request, I also added battle (probably part of warrior report) and nude (dunno where this was supposed to be) category. But that's his call :)
Yes, but it's set in a way that it will work fine with only questneutral 0.png (other three fall to it) to not force people into photoshoping that much.
If you (or anyone), by chance, feel not like creating them, just send applicable pics to me, as I kind of enjoy this type of work.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #464 on: March 01, 2013, 09:11:00 AM »
Do you think we need more than one? yup, it was part of dates nighthalkex suggested, where you take girl out to have fun. But because these are not written yet, I kind of randomly put something in for first Naruto girls as I'm not sure what would fit... By early Xela's request, I also added battle (probably part of warrior report) and nude (dunno where this was supposed to be) category. But that's his call :)Yes, but it's set in a way that it will work fine with only questneutral 0.png (other three fall to it) to not force people into photoshoping that much.
If you (or anyone), by chance, feel not like creating them, just send applicable pics to me, as I kind of enjoy this type of work.

Battle we need for schools and warrior job reports. Nude for events and maybe also with future in mind, for gameevents.
Like what we're doing?