Author Topic: General Discussion  (Read 3788847 times)

Offline DarkTl

Re: SimBrothel: -PyTFall- Dev Thread: Writers needed!
« Reply #480 on: March 03, 2013, 10:03:20 AM »
Any notes about characters skills, maybe list of all skills in the game? Or it is better do not touch them at all yet?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
  • "It's like hunting cows"
« Reply #481 on: March 03, 2013, 11:21:55 AM »
Any notes about characters skills, maybe list of all skills in the game? Or it is better do not touch them at all yet?

Skills will not come until WM version so it's to early. Maybe missions are more to the point. Due to lack of time, I didn't get us much done on the project as I hoped this weekend but I made some progress in advanced logic and girl's finances. If I finish that by next weekend, I'll do image tags then.

Past that point, modding guide, modding system, jobs for warriors, missions and jokers remain as larger code blocks + Screens redesign. Rest is content like new girls, location, texts, events, endings and balancing of the game.

It still sounds like a lot but I can see the end :)
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 11:28:59 AM by Xela »
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #482 on: March 03, 2013, 11:28:20 AM »
So, all skills strings can be safely removed from data.xml?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #483 on: March 03, 2013, 11:29:58 AM »
So, all skills strings can be safely removed from data.xml?

What do you mean by skills strings? I though there were non in current data.xml?
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #484 on: March 03, 2013, 11:37:06 AM »
All yours characters have some skills in their xml, and because of that mine have them too. You know,
        <bskill name = "FistAttack"/>
        <mskill name = "Fire 1"/>
        <mskill name = "Fire 2"/>
that kind of strings.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 11:53:02 AM by DarkTl »

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #485 on: March 03, 2013, 11:58:07 AM »
All yours characters have some skills in their xml, and because of that mine have them too. You know,that kind of strings.

Nope, those stay, they are for battle engine and determine what attacks and magic spells girls have.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #486 on: March 03, 2013, 12:09:36 PM »
So, it is better do not touch them at all yet? Or game does have a lot of them already? Like, wind magic for Temari instead of fire?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #487 on: March 03, 2013, 01:57:50 PM »
So, it is better do not touch them at all yet? Or game does have a lot of them already? Like, wind magic for Temari instead of fire?

We need to add those, wind graphics effects and wind sound effects. It's a whole other online search, for now just use fire, earth and water. Preferably only level one of each per character or non at all. Attacks are claw, knife, sword and fist I believe.
Like what we're doing?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #488 on: March 04, 2013, 07:26:43 AM »
RenPy 6.15 has officially been released. I have already moved my dev version to it, I'll upload it to drop box after I had a chance to do more work on finances and advanced logic.

_ Bug where bar was not updating values in real time has been fixed.
_ Console works!
_ Several others updates and bugfixes as well.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 06:28:36 AM by Xela »
Like what we're doing?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #489 on: March 05, 2013, 02:39:55 PM »
RenPy 6.15 has officially been released. I have already moved my dev version to it, I'll upload it to drop box after I had a chance to do more work on finances and advanced logic.

_ Bug where bar was not updating values in real time has been fixed.
_ Console works!
_ Several others updates and bugfixes as well.

I got caught up in checking out 6.15 abilities (which are awesome by the way, we can have slider screens with 5 - 6 lines of code. I want main menu to be this way) and some rl stuff :)

I'll start writing code again tomorrow or the day after (evening).
Like what we're doing?

Offline rudistoned

« Reply #490 on: March 05, 2013, 04:17:56 PM »
Hey guys,

I made some good progress today on the quest system. The encounter mechanics work already, so I started implementing quest mechanics. A quest is a series of encounters.

To create a  linear quest from existing encounters, you can currently write this:
Code: [Select]
    trap = TrapEncounter()
    trap.difficulty = 5
    quest = BaseQuest()
    quest.add_encounter("quest", "always", "trap1", trap)
    quest.add_encounter("trap1", "always", "trap2", trap)
    quest.add_encounter("trap2", "always", "trap3", trap)
A quest like this will require the questing characters to master the encounters trap1, trap2 and trap3.

However, I decided the most natural way to represent a quest is a tree of encounters. This means there are branches, more than one way to complete a quest and different encounters along the way, depending on how the previous encounters in the quest turned out. To create a branched quest, you could write:
    quest = BaseQuest()
    quest.add_encounter("quest", "always", "trap1", trap)
    quest.add_encounter("trap1", "success", "trap2", trap)
    quest.add_encounter("trap1", "failure", "trap3", trap)
    quest.add_encounter("trap3", "always", "trap4", trap)
In this quest, the characters first have to face trap1. If they succeed, they have to face trap 2. If they failed in the trap1 encounter, they have to face trap3 and trap 4.

To implement the tree structure, I used well-established code: the element tree API. This means it will be very easy to load quest definitons from XML in the future. The above quest in XML looks like this:
<?xml version="1.0" ?>
<quest>
        <trap1 if="always">
                <trap2 if="success"/>
                <trap3 if="failure">
                        <trap4 if="always"/>
                </trap3>
        </trap1>
</quest>

I'm pretty happy how this turned out. IMHO it is a powerful, flexibel system and especially using it should be quite simple. What do you guys think? Questions? Did I miss something?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #491 on: March 05, 2013, 05:05:15 PM »
Looks good. It checks only vs the highest of relevant stats, not a combination of all or several stats?

I'll have to adapt this to RenPy and PyTFall, this is a great option for warrior job.
Like what we're doing?

Offline rudistoned

« Reply #492 on: March 05, 2013, 05:33:18 PM »
Which stats are used is independent of this system and up to the implementation of the specific encounter. In the case of TrapEncounter, the best stat among agility, defence and magic is determined. Then, the value of the best stat is combined with the fatigue of the character. The problem with the current implementation (which I just noticed) is that higher fatigue improves the odds of success, but in reality high fatigue should make it more difficult. I'll fix that.
        # find the main trap-defeating attribute of this char
        anti_trap_stats = ["agility", "defence", "magic"]
        mainstatname, normmainstat = get_highest_stat(char, anti_trap_stats)
        # factor in fatigue
        minfat = char.min["fatigue"]
        maxfat = char.max["fatigue"]
        normfatigue = normalize_stat(minfat, char.fatigue, maxfat)
        # calculate capability
        # (the main stat is two times as important as fatigue)
        result = (normmainstat * 2.0 + normfatigue) / 3.0
        capability = int(round(result))

fix:
        freshness = 100 - normfatigue
        result = (normmainstat * 2.0 + freshness) / 3.0
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 05:35:47 PM by rudistoned »

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #493 on: March 05, 2013, 06:23:53 PM »
Sounds good. Still, it feels like all stats should be taken into consideration... I need to test this in the game to get a good grip on this system. I'll try to get back to coding tomorrow, I completely drowned in stuff we don't even need for the game like old fashioned alien shooters, objects becoming transparent the farther you move mouse from them, forced mouse pointer control, solitare card game with drag/drop, screens, buttons and pictures moving around the screen, flashing, exploding and bouncing off each-other.

If I get sucked into that, it'll be for a couple of weeks so tomorrow evening I am writing at least 500 lines of code for PyTFall :) I need to wrap up finances and jobs first (should be less than 1000 lines left). Then I'll add warrior jobs, one for guarding and one besed on your code. Then I'll make all screens look at the very least 'decent', fix some loose ends here and there and start writing a modding guide...
Like what we're doing?

Offline rudistoned

« Reply #494 on: March 06, 2013, 02:13:15 AM »
Still, it feels like all stats should be taken into consideration...
Okay, easy change. Which stats are important for which encounter depends entirely on the capability method of said encounter. So, only TrapEncounter.capability needs to be changed if you think it should depend on different stats. So, what stats should it depend on in your opinion? Can you give me a formula, or a list where each relevant stat has a percentage that describes how important it is for the TrapEncounter?