devolution

Author Topic: General Discussion  (Read 3788354 times)

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
  • "It's like hunting cows"
Re: SimBrothel: -PyTFall- Dev Thread: Writers needed!
« Reply #495 on: March 06, 2013, 02:54:29 AM »
Okay, easy change. Which stats are important for which encounter depends entirely on the capability method of said encounter. So, only TrapEncounter.capability needs to be changed if you think it should depend on different stats. So, what stats should it depend on in your opinion? Can you give me a formula, or a list where each relevant stat has a percentage that describes how important it is for the TrapEncounter?

Good morning! To much new information about PyGame and RenPy yesterday, still traces of headache remain... but it's a new day nonetheless :)

For trap encounter I think:

["agility", "defence", "magic"] This is a very good list, there should be 'intelligence' there as well since brains help avoid/get out of traps on occasion as well.

Maybe we can do it like this:

1) First check against intelligence and (in the future (For now just leave a TODO comment), level that we do not have today :( ). If intelligence and experience (level) failed...

2) Second check is against all three of these stats on equal bases: ["agility", "defence", "magic"]. Your normalization of fatigue to get freshness is also an awesome idea, which should be taken into consideration on equal bases as well!
Like what we're doing?

Offline rudistoned

« Reply #496 on: March 06, 2013, 04:52:59 AM »
1) First check against intelligence and (in the future (For now just leave a TODO comment), level that we do not have today :( ). If intelligence and experience (level) failed...

2) Second check is against all three of these stats on equal bases: ["agility", "defence", "magic"]. Your normalization of fatigue to get freshness is also an awesome idea, which should be taken into consideration on equal bases as well!
I like the idea to check against intelligence and experience first to avoid a trap and check defensive stats only if the "spot the trap" check fails. It makes sense. However, the system currently is to simply to support that in one encounter.

Possible solutions
A) We create a SpotDangerEncounter. The capability for characters in this encounter would depend on intelligence, experience and possibly a stat that represents the senses (I think I saw a stat called something like awareness?). If the characters succeed, they avoid the trap/fight/other danger and continue with their quest directly. This can be realized with a branched quest. The caveat here is that only diverging branches are possibly, not converging branches (diamond structures). Bigger quests with multiple traps are hard to code without converging branches.
Example
Code: [Select]
# diverging branches are possible
quest start
       |
SpotDanger
     /   \
Trap    end 
    |
   end

# converging branches are (currently) not possible
quest start
       |
SpotDanger
     /  \
 Trap   |
     \  /
    end

B) We recreate the branching functionality of quests for encounters and define encounter checks also in an ElementTree. I would advise against that as it adds complexity we don't really need.

C) We create a new encounter base class that allows characters to perform one or several "spot the danger checks" and win the encounter if they succeed. That's probably the solution that is easiest to code for me. It makes creating new encounters more difficult as then there are two base classes new encounters can be subclassed from and they will work slightly different.

My opinion
I think the best approach is to go with solution A). We can stick with the current system as it's IMHO good enough and before we start loading quests from XML I will figure out how to do converging branches in quests. That way we can keep the encounter classes relatively simple and you don't have to jump from quest to encounter classes constantly if you want to figure out the sequence of checks necessary to complete a quest.

EDIT: added a solution C). That one would be doable too, but is not as flexibel as solution A) and we proably want converging branches for quests anyway.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 05:04:20 AM by rudistoned »

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #497 on: March 06, 2013, 05:14:12 AM »
Yeah, A) sounds more then sufficient. I am not sure this can be used for actual quests since those or at least most of those will be done in VN Style and require different approach. There should also be some form of string variable that these classes return so it can be appended to next day report lists, pictures here are obviously all combat (but that's on me), maybe tagged for better precision in the future.
Like what we're doing?

Offline rudistoned

« Reply #498 on: March 06, 2013, 05:30:22 AM »
When I was talking about quests in the last few posts, I always refered to automated quests used for warrior jobs. These have nothing to do with quests the player character is involved in ;-)

The run_quest method of the quest classes, which is used to perform the quest, can return a string describing the results.

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #499 on: March 06, 2013, 05:59:42 AM »
A quick question: does game support animated gifs? Can't say there are a lot of them, but sometimes I come across ones.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #500 on: March 06, 2013, 06:14:44 AM »
A quick question: does game support animated gifs? Can't say there are a lot of them, but sometimes I come across ones.

Disadvantages:

- Does not support .gif, .swf or anything that has to do with Flash.

Actually there is now a way to port some flash, but it's in early stages of development.

Unless you want to to rip that gif apart, there is no way. RenPy is excellent with animations otherwise.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 01:17:10 PM by Xela »
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #501 on: March 06, 2013, 06:19:46 AM »
Maybe I'll convert it to animated png then if I'll find really interesting gif.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 06:32:49 AM by DarkTl »

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #502 on: March 06, 2013, 06:41:47 AM »
Maybe I'll convert it to animated png then if I'll find really interesting gif.

Will not work either.

We'll have to use RenPy's own tools for animating an image or part of an image.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 06:51:39 AM by Xela »
Like what we're doing?

Offline Mederic64

• Donator
« Reply #503 on: March 06, 2013, 11:06:42 AM »
You guys seem so motivated, I stongly wish you good luck.

If you need help with something, you can send me mps, I'll see what I can do.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #504 on: March 06, 2013, 11:57:33 AM »
You guys seem so motivated, I stongly wish you good luck.

If you need help with something, you can send me mps, I'll see what I can do.

Oh yeah, we are planning to get this done. Content design is always required, if you want to design places, events, NPCs with texts/personalities/pics or just can write interactions, texts and so on, just act, I'll make sure they get coded into the game...

===============================
Otherwise, I've coded about 100 short lines of code today but it wasn't for PyTFall, there is an awesome concept design called S.L.U.T. in my Head on LoK. Someones wishes to learn RenPy and Python to give building that game a shot and asked me to help him with "filling the squares based on stats":

Took me about 20 minutes... I have still about four hours left for PyTFall tonight :)
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 01:18:14 PM by Xela »
Like what we're doing?

Offline GonDra

« Reply #505 on: March 06, 2013, 01:19:18 PM »
DarkTl, I skimmed over the traits a bit ago and it looked mostly fine if a bit bland since they are so similar to the WM ones.
The only thing I am not completly sure we need right now from that list are the scar related ones, although I guess the warriors could have some use from them I guess.
Also added another argument to the artificial body in the rest text document.
I will still try writing some texts for the SM traits but it seems I burnt myself out writing my pet projects.

Xela that looks pretty nice, how far along is the project?
You wanted to do something on the ui front if I remember right, any chance you would make the text window for the event texts bigger?
Also if I might suggest placing the buy brothel button inside the brothel managing screen?

Edit: Found the file where I had begun describing traits, feel free to scavenge from it for the trait descriptions if you want. [google doc]
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 01:26:11 PM by GonDra »

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #506 on: March 06, 2013, 01:44:25 PM »
You wanted to do something on the ui front if I remember right, any chance you would make the text window for the event texts bigger?
Also if I might suggest placing the buy brothel button inside the brothel managing screen?

I made a huge design flaw, Slaves should have been added ONLY to WM version, I am getting sick of with writing the code that has to track if girl is a slave all the time... It is becoming abundantly clear to me why they never made a distinction between how game handles slaves vs free girls in WM on higher level...

I'll do screen design after figuring out the finances, wages and personal girl reports.

Xela that looks pretty nice, how far along is the project?

Not far... there are a couple of coders trying to realize the design. Game has a pretty awesome concept so I am not surprised! Guy who wishes to code it in RenPy is not very good but at least willing to learn...

Edit: Found the file where I had begun describing traits, feel free to scavenge from it for the trait descriptions if you want. [google doc]

I think that was inside of your DB folder.

Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #507 on: March 06, 2013, 02:45:46 PM »
The only thing I am not completly sure we need right now from that list are the scar related ones, although I guess the warriors could have some use from them I guess.
Precisely. Failed trap check, loss of many hp during a combat, etc. = scar trait. This will enliven gameplay, I believe.

Also added another argument to the artificial body in the rest text document.
I don't see any new  arguments there. Maybe you forgot to save it or something?

« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 03:48:59 PM by DarkTl »

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #508 on: March 06, 2013, 03:49:15 PM »
Looks like we'll cover all Naruto characters which have enough pics to make a more or less decent pack when Cherry will finish Sakura and Ten-Ten.
I'm going to make Kos-Mos and maybe T-elos (if she has enough pics) from Xenosaga next, then I'll adapt Persona characters to new format. After that probably One Piece.

Also I think we should start to looking for another hosting for packs. My 3,4 Gb from dropbox is filled by 74% already.

We'll have to use RenPy's own tools for animating an image or part of an image.
So much for excellent with animations  :D

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #509 on: March 06, 2013, 04:21:00 PM »
Looks like we'll cover all Naruto characters which have enough pics to make a more or less decent pack when Cherry will finish Sakura and Ten-Ten.
I'm going to make Kos-Mos and maybe T-elos (if she has enough pics) from Xenosaga next, then I'll adapt Persona characters to new format. After that probably One Piece.

Sounds good. I am still struggling with damn wage cr@p I came up with myself. Didn't get as much done as I would have liked but there is progress here and there. There will be two bars, one for the house percentage, other for wage mod and series of functions balancing everything out... should have kept things simpler but now it's to late to go back.

Also I think we should start to looking for another hosting for packs. My 3,4 Gb from dropbox is filled by 74% already.

I am still below 5% I think. We can use MEGA account or something similar to that.

So much for excellent with animations  :D

Animations used in battle engines are made with 5 - 6 lines of code and called with one. It's fast, can use either OpenGL or DirectX and is fairly easy to code. I would say it's excellent... lack of format support has never been considered a problem as far as I know because most developers would prefer animations that they could easily control and adapt.
Like what we're doing?