Author Topic: Daughter suggestion  (Read 12130 times)

Offline Wispowill

Daughter suggestion
« on: December 04, 2009, 10:46:15 AM »
I would suggest for daughters, instead of using a random girl, reusing the mother's file as a template. You could assign a random name and perhaps random stats, but as they say "like mother, like daughter."

Offline Alugere

Re: Daughter suggestion
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2009, 03:10:10 PM »
I would agree with this. Especially for non-human girls.

Offline elementalforce

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2009, 07:28:19 PM »
I also agree. It would be more realistic if the mother and daughter looked alike.

Offline delta224

• Dev Team
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2009, 07:55:15 PM »
This should not be too hard to do.

Offline Zeus

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2009, 01:27:00 AM »
how do i know my Daughter get grown up? i think i get more than 60 weeks after the Firt bird in my game but nothing happens... 
why fear 6 7? 7 8 9! (just say it loud and you understand ... mh... jokes you have to explain are crap... Sorry ^^)

Offline DocClox

• Dev Team
  • Messing Around With Python
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2009, 01:48:56 AM »
You get a message on the turn summary. It's easy to miss if you just click-click-click through 'em like I do.

That said, girls will appear in the dungeon

Offline Midnight_Amratha

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2009, 01:03:31 PM »
so far i haven't had one single turn summary saying This-or-that girl has come of age and are in dungeon, i have had to scroll through every list of the girls and see if there is a note attached to them to see if their girls are matured out. how about having the message appear like the "you get umpty-zillion gold from your extortion racket" kind of message so it reads "the daughter of "Really nifty-looking girl in brothel (whatever)" has come of age and are placed in your dungeon."
The line between lunacy and genious is very thin.
So far i haven't been able to find it.

Offline zodiac44

• Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2009, 02:39:34 PM »
Ideally, the summary screen would just have a list (perhaps tabbed) that summarizes all events, with none of this clicking through a zillion boxes filled with easily ignorable information.  Maybe someday I'll sketch out what one should look like, but that day is not today.
Capitalization is the difference between "I had to help my uncle Jack off a horse" and "I had to help my uncle jack off a horse."

Offline sgb

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2009, 11:39:10 PM »
This makes sense for non-human girls, as, the child of a human and, say, an Elf or something producing a catgirl is kind of silly.  I wouldn't want to see this for human girls though.  I don't want a bunch of clones.  There are plenty of children who don't look at all like their mother.

Offline Wispowill

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2009, 11:56:44 PM »
I don't want a bunch of clones.

With the current game design you pretty much always end up with a bunch of clones, the difference is whether the clones come from the Random pool or from the Unique pool.  :) If you play for several years you will probably have 3 or more of the same of at least one of the Random girl classes, unless you deliberately sell off all the girls that non-paying customers foist off on you.

All in all though, from the responses so far, I wonder if cloning templates might be best as a game option.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2009, 11:59:33 PM by Wispowill »

Offline letmein

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2009, 02:07:16 AM »
Doesn't make a difference to me - Wisp has it right.  You're going to get clones no matter what happens;  the choice is whether to make them unique, or 'random' girls.
Still lurking.

exodia91

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2009, 04:29:13 PM »
Or, instead of making it so every daughter is a clone of the mother, have a number of random "daughter" templates, and have a variable in the mothers data saying which template her children use. Say, if the mother has red hair, you set a number so her daughters use the "redhead" template. Don't forget that the father influences looks as well, so you could have one template that says the daughters resemble him, if none of the templates apply to a girl, have her use the "father" template by default. it would naturally require adding another variable to the girls data, and it might take a bit of work to get a decent range of daughter templates, but it would be better then having a bunch of clones of mothers, or even more of the base random girl templates.

Offline sgb

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2009, 06:23:03 PM »
With the current game design you pretty much always end up with a bunchof clones, the difference is whether the clones come from the Randompool or from the Unique pool.  :)If you play for several years you will probably have 3 or more of thesame of at least one of the Random girl classes, unless youdeliberately sell off all the girls that non-paying customers foist offon you.
That word there, Unique.  Maybe it's just me but I kind of thought it meant NOTHING LIKE IT.  If I wanted multiple copies of a 'unique' character, I'd set them to be a random pack.  The entire point of having them be unique is so you can only get them once.  Having the daughter taken from the random pool is far more interesting to me, especially if you've added to the random pool with some add-ons and duplication is less of an issue.  If this does get implemented, I really hope it's a toggable option.

Alternatively, something more like exodia91 is thinking.  Rather than something so complex, just have a new field for unique characters: 'file to use as daughter'.  You enter the name of any character file, unique or random, and any daughter that character has would use that template.  Or you leave the field blank and it just picks from the random pool like it does now.  This option would keep everyone happy IMO.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2009, 06:26:58 PM by sgb »

Offline DocClox

• Dev Team
  • Messing Around With Python
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2009, 06:34:06 PM »
The "only as daughter" option works for me, I have to say.

Offline zodiac44

• Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2009, 10:21:57 PM »
Well, we already have a field for girl type, and it currently uses only 3 of the however-many possible entries: normal, slave, and catacombs.  I have suggested expanding the options in the past (primarily to add "rival leader") and adding a "player's daughter" entry would be fine with me.  Having one for deadbeat customers' or businessmen's daughters would be cool too.
Capitalization is the difference between "I had to help my uncle Jack off a horse" and "I had to help my uncle jack off a horse."