devolution

Author Topic: Discussing Gangs  (Read 10121 times)

Offline letmein

Re: Discussing Gangs
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2009, 05:18:45 PM »
I dunno.  You shouldn't really ever just talk to the gangs - give them orders, yes, but just stop by to chat?  No.
Still lurking.

Offline zodiac44

• Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2009, 06:50:41 PM »
If gang loyalty is implemented, it would make sense to implement some means of bolstering loyalty, though I don't think talk options would be the way to go.  Maybe have add the ability to give them perks, like a free pass to the brothel or a cash bonus, something like that.
Capitalization is the difference between "I had to help my uncle Jack off a horse" and "I had to help my uncle jack off a horse."

exodia91

« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2009, 07:26:11 PM »
who the hell chats with their minions/lower employees? even if you're a "good" guy, they're still just fodd- uhh, employees to be ordered to the glory of your empire.

Offline letmein

« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2009, 07:41:17 PM »
Screw that.  They're fodder.  I might try to keep them alive, but when it comes down to it, they're replaceable by definition.

As for loyalty boosts, you bring up a good point, zodiac.  Talking wouldn't be the way I'd go about it either - I would tie loyalty into wages, maybe death rates (who's loyal to a bastard that gets his men slaughtered?), even total number of goons (having fewer men would tend to make them more loyal).  I'm not sure what to think of the "perks" you mention;  it would depend on the specific case.
Still lurking.

Offline zodiac44

• Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2009, 08:06:16 PM »
I'm not sure death rates would be an appropriate thing to account for in loyalty.  Disloyal gangs should bug out before the death rate gets high.  Loyal gangs will stay that way, even with high death rates, if they come to believe that their deaths meant something, or that the leader(s) they follow care.
Capitalization is the difference between "I had to help my uncle Jack off a horse" and "I had to help my uncle jack off a horse."

Offline Command

« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2009, 11:21:01 AM »
How about a set up where you have the leader of each gang under your employ and you can discuss with them verious things.  You get various options and if one displeases you then why not have an opton of eliminating him like in that Mastermind: World Conquest flash game.

Or maybe an option for an inspection of one of your gangs to keep them on their toes and to see if you can see them doing something they aren't suppost to do durring a random inspection.

Also if your going to have more than 1 brothel and even a dungion why not have the guarde duty and where they are suppost to guard.  You will likely need more than 10 guards but it would give us more micro management.  I mean how is 15 men suppost to guard several brothels and a duntion since normally se use only 1 gang to guard.  This way it forces the player to expand more slowly and thus uncreases the duration of play.

Offline LordShame

« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2009, 06:34:21 PM »
Heh, I was thinking about what gangs look like, and the main picture that came to mind was teams of themed henchmen like in the 60s Batman TV show. Like with the Kings all wearing little crowns. :D

Anway, more seriously, it also made me think that maybe there could be different basic types of gangs you can hire.

You could have:
-Generic homies like we have now, without specific strengths or weaknesses.
-Mercenaries, good for guarding, sabotage and catacomb raids, but expensive to maintain, and lacking the subtelty to be effective at theft or kidnapping.
-Adventurers, like mercenaries but extra good for catacomb raids, and they absolutely won't do any actual crimes like kidnapping, theft or extortion.
-Collections of local hobos and other expendable rabble who aren't good for much but don't charge a lot of money and are easy to recruit back to maximum when they incur losses.
-Brigands and highwaymen, good at extortion, theft, kidnapping and other smash-and-grabs, but too cowardly to go into the catacombs and unskilled at defending your girls.
-Some sort of sneaky undercover rogue type, good at spying, theft and sabotage but crap at actual combat.

Offline necno

• Core Developer
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2009, 08:04:06 PM »
Some excellent suggestions being thrown around here. Keep'em comming :D
Click here to donate
After you do so please pm me the email address you used so I can add you to the donation forum.

Working on:
Whoremaster II (Official)
Birthright (Now a commercial rougelike)