devolution

Author Topic: Choosing Player Character Gender  (Read 4814 times)

Offline xgkf

Choosing Player Character Gender
« on: December 14, 2010, 11:47:56 AM »
I have something of an idea/request for future updates.

How about adding the ability to choose whether your player character is male or female, and then giving them the ability to perform tasks in a similar way that your gangs/slavegirls do now?

For example, if you choose to play as a female character, you can give yourself the same jobs during the day/night that you can give your slavegirls now (whore, stripper, maid, security, etc...), and involve yourself in the same way and increase the same skills. To go into a little more detail, if you choose to be a female character, you might start with less money but you basically just get free girl to start with (You) whom you can set the starting Stats, Appearance, and Traits of (within limitations), but with an extra "You" Trait, which grants you certain bonuses or some such as the player. That girl (You) then also shows up in the "Manage Girls" screen where you can assign jobs for yourself just like you do your slavegirls.

I'm not exactly sure what male characters would be able to do differently than they do now, but I would assume much the same options as female characters, except maybe disable the whore/stripper/etc. jobs and replace them with gang-related jobs like kidnapping/mugging/etc. (unless you wanted to allow male and/or female customers to come see your male character the same way they do your slavegirls, which is fine too).

Just a thought.

Offline ShiningRadiance

• I command thee!
Re: Choosing Player Character Gender
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2010, 04:45:08 PM »
This has been suggested many times, and yet...
Please treat me well even though I don't deserve it.

Offline xgkf

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2010, 11:53:49 PM »
Sorry for the repeat suggestion, I guess, but do you say "and yet..." as in...

"there's still no support for it./no one wants it."
or
"this finally makes it sound like a good idea."

...?

Offline DocClox

• Dev Team
  • Messing Around With Python
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2010, 03:41:26 AM »
First, suggestions are always welcome.

Second, there's nothing wrong with the idea, except a shortage of developers to implement it. My ToDo list is about a mile long, and this particular point was never very near the top.

Thirdly, Radiance, stop stirring. If you're that anxious to see this feature in place, you know where to find the code.

Offline ShiningRadiance

• I command thee!
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2010, 03:39:50 PM »
First, suggestions are always welcome.

Second, there's nothing wrong with the idea, except a shortage of developers to implement it. My ToDo list is about a mile long, and this particular point was never very near the top.

Thirdly, Radiance, stop stirring. If you're that anxious to see this feature in place, you know where to find the code.
Excuse me, master, I'm too stupid to understand what your words are. I've only memorized that sentence and this one explaining it.
Please treat me well even though I don't deserve it.

Offline Bluebeholder

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2010, 05:14:37 PM »
This is part of why the boards are so slow and WM is moving to obscurity.  Discussion of new ideas hits a quick wall as it's quickly pointed out the developers don't have time to implement.  Doc we understand that development is slow and there's a lot to do.  We're still here patiently waiting for your next release.  I also know that many of these ideas have been discussed before.  However for those who are relatively new these sorts of open discussions build interest and have the potential to bring in new developers/energy.

Rant over, back to attempting to encourage discussion. 

I like the idea where there are "officers" essentially leaders among who the WM is one.  Officers run either gangs/brothels and provide bonuses to to the institution.  As the WM is running the entirely of the syndicate I feel it more appropriate that they not whore them self directly as that takes too much of their personal time that should be used on talking with the girls and a whole bunch other things.

Wait strike that last line I'm totally for a system that the WM has an action pool per week and whoring for money is totally something one can burn that time on.  The WM is not an officer that's for your elite mooks the WM has better things to do.   

Offline Mehzerz

• Rockin' the after life after party
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2010, 11:02:32 PM »
I think the main argument with gender choosing was how the game is already developed. It's clearly written for a male lead, that's a lot to change and add for something with little return. I'm for the idea personally but I'd rather see a lot of things already on the to-do list be implemented first.

In all honesty I hear the WM code is a mess with the way it was originally structured. Adding new features from the original code was basically a patch job adding even more bugs into the mess. If anything, I personally wouldn't mind it WM was just halted in development where it is now and recoded completely with a lot of the to-do list and features already in mind essentially a WM2 if you will. It'd probably be a lot cleaner and a lot easier to code for one thing. :p

Either way we have Gladiatrix, Brithright AND Clonemaster to look forward to.
Starter girls image additions progress:
26 girls, 18 to go

Offline DocClox

• Dev Team
  • Messing Around With Python
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2010, 03:45:59 AM »
This is part of why the boards are so slow and WM is moving to obscurity.  Discussion of new ideas hits a quick wall as it's quickly pointed out the developers don't have time to implement.  Doc we understand that development is slow and there's a lot to do.  We're still here patiently waiting for your next release.  I also know that many of these ideas have been discussed before.  However for those who are relatively new these sorts of open discussions build interest and have the potential to bring in new developers/energy.

That's fair comment, I suppose. I shall endeavour to keep my nose out of future enhancement requests.