devolution

Author Topic: Source code and debugging  (Read 5621 times)

Offline zodiac44

• Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
Source code and debugging
« on: November 01, 2009, 12:49:19 AM »
I'd like to extend an offer to help debugging code.  It's been quite some time since I've done any programming outside visual basic macros for Excel, but once I get readjusted I might be able to help out.  An extra pair of eyes can't hurt anyway.

I don't know if anyone else is interested, but I'd like to take a crack at it if you are amenable to releasing the source code.
Capitalization is the difference between "I had to help my uncle Jack off a horse" and "I had to help my uncle jack off a horse."

Offline DocClox

• Dev Team
  • Messing Around With Python
Re: Source code and debugging
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2009, 02:19:38 AM »
I don't know if anyone else is interested, but I'd like to take a crack at it if you are amenable to releasing the source code.

There's a few of us interested :) necno wants to clean up the code before he releases it.

Offline zodiac44

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2009, 11:23:11 AM »
Clean code?  I do not know of this thing of which you speak؟  >;o)
Capitalization is the difference between "I had to help my uncle Jack off a horse" and "I had to help my uncle jack off a horse."

Offline Solo761

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2009, 11:45:10 AM »

Offline DocClox

• Dev Team
  • Messing Around With Python
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2009, 12:49:06 PM »
Clean code?  I do not know of this thing of which you speak؟  >;o)

I fear you must look to necno for enlightenment, young grasshopper :)

Offline Midnight_Amratha

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2009, 08:59:44 PM »
re bugs.
i ran into a DEP after i had accepted a girl from a customer and tried to let on of the old enemies go.  The help file said something about a program trying to run in an illegal manner, what's it mean? anyway windows shut the program down. oh btw i'm using a raptor drive for my system drives mounted as C: and i have a storage/game drive named E: wonder if that's got anything to do with it? seeing as my C: drive is blocked from running anything but system programs i mean.
The line between lunacy and genious is very thin.
So far i haven't been able to find it.

Offline zodiac44

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2009, 09:12:58 PM »
That's a known bug that's been hanging around for a while.  It's not related to your HDD configuration, and it happens to everyone who plays.  If you get a deadbeat customer and a defeated rival on the same turn, you crash.

Offline delta224

• Dev Team
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2009, 09:36:58 PM »
Thankfully as one of the coders I have fixed that bug and I do plan to release a fixed program with that fix and other fixes tomorrow.

Offline zodiac44

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2009, 09:42:08 PM »
Awesome!  I recall Necno saying that one was going to be a bitch to track down.  Congrats.  >;o)

Offline delta224

• Dev Team
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2009, 10:07:37 PM »
That was not the PITA. My method of finding it was to find the code that was being called right before the crash and try to fix that code, due to the fact that code must have caused the error since it was just called.  Even now I am not really sure what the exact problem was since I just commented out the offending code and replicated the functionality with some other minor changes and the use of the standard library.

The crash on next day bug on the other hand is a  total PITA, and still might exist, since it is totaly random and thus near impossible form me to track down.

Offline letmein

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2009, 10:48:28 PM »
Someone said "release"?  That is verboten!  You mustn't raise our hopes...
Still lurking.

Offline Midnight_Amratha

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2009, 11:09:39 AM »
game hangs when i send one girl to the dungeon and then yet another girl to the dungeon
The line between lunacy and genious is very thin.
So far i haven't been able to find it.

Offline zodiac44

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2009, 02:25:26 PM »
Midnight_Amratha, can you post your bugs over here in the bug report thread?  That way we can have everything in one place.  Thanks  >;o)