devolution

Author Topic: BUGS  (Read 13679 times)

Offline Fstop

• I <3 Deadpool
Re: BUGS
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2009, 03:44:44 PM »
Not really a bug but there currently no way to make a girl use a misc item that "Bad" for them since you cant use the equip/use button
Deadpool: Shhh. My Common sense is tingling
Common sense so rare it's a god damn super power!

Offline letmein

« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2009, 04:17:24 PM »
I'm not positive about this, but don't misc. items apply themselves automatically just by being in the girl's possession?

EDIT: And note, it sounds like the forum is going to move once again, to address a couple issues people have been having with forum stability.  I'll try to be the first to post a BUGS thread there, so if y'all could kindly wait before whining I'd appreciate it.  ;)
« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 04:20:10 PM by letmein »
Still lurking.

Offline necno

• Core Developer
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2009, 05:30:31 PM »
Hmmm misc items eh. As for that save corruption, that definitely points towards a pointer problem and probably the source of many of the crashes.
10000 is the limit to the pool, excess gold is automatically placed in your private gold stash.

Yes all jobs will be undergoing a major overhaul soon as I'm reorganizing the functions (currently they are all in one large function which is just poor/lazy coding really). Needless to say, this project is making me a better coder.
Click here to donate
After you do so please pm me the email address you used so I can add you to the donation forum.

Working on:
Whoremaster II (Official)
Birthright (Now a commercial rougelike)

Offline Thraxis

« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2009, 09:24:51 PM »
I'm not sure if this is a good place to put this, or if it and other Exploits should get their own thread... either way, here goes nothing.

The store inventory refreshes every time the player reloads a game: this means that someone could look for an item, buy it if it's in stock, save, quit, load that save, and then head right back to buy it again if it's in stock.  This allows some of the rarer items to pop up relatively reliably- if you're patient.  I'm not 100% sure on this, but I think the slave market inventory might refresh, too.  And I know a similar trick can be used for things like causing pregnancy or finding new girls while walking around.

Sure, it requires patience and that the game doesn't glitch horribly from the excessive saving, quitting, loading, etc., but I'm pretty sure it's an exploit worth mentioning.

Offline letmein

« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2009, 10:09:55 PM »
I'll note it, but in my opinion an exploit like that is almost certainly more effort to fix than its worth.  If someone thinks they need something badly enough to put up with the time it takes to exit and reload several times, more power to them...

As far as whether exploits should be in a separate thread, why bother?  Its simpler to keep everything compact, and exploits can be considered bugs.
Still lurking.

Offline Thraxis

« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2009, 12:44:11 PM »
I'll note it, but in my opinion an exploit like that is almost certainly more effort to fix than its worth.  If someone thinks they need something badly enough to put up with the time it takes to exit and reload several times, more power to them...
It seems like it'd be easy to fix if the store had an inventory, rather than (seemingly) randomly generated stock each day: just have the store's inventory be stored as part of the save.  Those other random chance things, like finding a girl or whether or pregnancy, could be 'rolled for' at the beginning of the turn, before the action is performed, and then stored until said action is performed, where they'd be referenced and the corresponding result would take effect.  I'm only familiar with Python, and I'm not entirely sure if it's as easy to do in whatever language this game's written in... but in my experience, changing when a variable is defined is pretty simple.

Though, now that I think about it, even those changes could be worked around by saving the day before, advance a day, and then reload if the result isn't favorable...

As far as whether exploits should be in a separate thread, why bother?  Its simpler to keep everything compact, and exploits can be considered bugs.
I'm new here, and each forum seems to have its own... peculiarities when it comes to rules.  Better safe and making unneeded apologies than sorry and banned or something.

Offline letmein

« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2009, 01:39:29 PM »
This forum's shiny new...  and soon to be moved to something even shinier and newer...  and I just started running the BUG thread, it's not like I was appointed or anything.  Just showing appreciation, and trying to help, since my programming knowledge is virtually nonexistant and modding isn't my thing either.
Still lurking.

Offline necno

• Core Developer
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2009, 07:56:54 PM »
Well, there is a new bug thread for the new version. there is a lot i didn't fix but I'm focused on those fixes for next version.

A side note is that my breaking down of the function used for updating girls (its all one function, jobs and all) is coming along nicely.

Also, i just had a bug where apparently it was trying to draw a girl image on the girl management screen that had been already released and not set to null. this is weird cause I'm quite religious about setting things to null. But it is probably the cause of some of the random crashes.... i suspect crashes when entering any screen may be related and think possible any screen that "remembers" your last selection has this problem.
Click here to donate
After you do so please pm me the email address you used so I can add you to the donation forum.

Working on:
Whoremaster II (Official)
Birthright (Now a commercial rougelike)