Author Topic: Java based game  (Read 16512 times)

Offline bobjohn

Re: Java based game
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2011, 06:44:13 PM »
Girl Stats: Attack, Defense (to hit or defend in combat), Strength, Toughness (to deal or absorb damage), Agility, Stamina (plays into job performance), beauty, charisma, intelligence, wits.  Obedience, loyalty (a girl might not be obedient to most, but loyal to her boss, raised by perks/rewards/bailing her out of jail), confidence, spirit.  PCLove/fear/hate.  Considering suspicion/disposition for girls and henches, altered by what jobs they do.
still too much stat, it'll be hard to fit that into one screen along with traits, job, image, and whatever else
if you put it into 2 screen, that's bad UI (which is currently what WM has).

not sure how you intent to display those stats but you could streamline them by combining Attack with Strength and Defense with Toughness (if combat is a small part of the game, then there's no reason to create so many stats for it; might even just combine all 4 stat into "physical combat")

Obedience, loyalty, confidence, and spirit are too similar to warrant 4 different stats.  Have you consider combining confidence and spirit into "Happiness"?  You can move whatever property under confidence and spirit that can't be thematically covered by happiness into Trait

You can probably combine stamina into HP too.  Each job cost some HP and each turn the girl regenerate X% of her total HP.  Whatever game-play that comes with high stamina, can be easily move to HP

I'm curious as to why you want Henchmen to be guys instead of just moving all those jobs to the girls.

you can also probably combine Disposition into Reputation

also, if you're having trouble designing the UI with two shifts, you might want to just combine them (the current WM UI for day/night shifts is rather bad).  The current gameplay difference between day and night shift in the current WM is fairly negotiable anyway (you won't even know the difference until you open up the codes)

Offline Popuri

« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2011, 06:23:20 PM »
Still finalizing my stats and UI.  The examples I listed are things I'd like to use.  And combat won't be a small part of the game.

Henchmen are because there has been some interest in people adding male characters.  And as a girl gamer, I wouldn't mind me some beefcake. :3

As well, obedience, loyalty, confidence, and spirit will tie in and be used different ways.  For example, loyalty can be built to get a girl who might be iron willed and fearless to listen, instead of trying to beat her until a submissive, or get her to fall in love.  Spirit will be used to help determine defense against magic in combat.  And Attack/Defense will handle whether or not a girl hits or hits, while strength and toughness are related to damage.

Stamina and HP combined is a no, they're for different things.  Reputation = Fame, Disposition = Alignment.

Mak:

As an example, the girl's portrait in her details screen will have a heart in the corner to indicate player love, and a face to indicate her mood (smiling, frowning, etc).  Mousing over these will give a numerical indicator of where that stat is.  Also having the player have an option to pick their 'flavor'.  Strawberry, Chocolate, Blueberry.  Each option would use a different skin for the game.

I'm considering making it so traits don't add to stats at all, but affect other types of bonuses.  Maybe 'Tough' reduces damage taken in combat by x%, or something along those lines.

Still in very rough stages here, figuring out a lot of my logic and laying out my UI.

Debating having the girl screen have tabs.  Sex stats, combat stats, general stats, equipment, etc.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 06:27:20 PM by Popuri »

Offline Crisis21

« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2011, 08:28:16 PM »
I'm guessing that Confidence affects general performance then? i.e. A girl can have all the skill in the world, but if she's not confident then she can still do poorly. A confident girl usually does better in a fight that an unconfident girl of the same skill level, and a confident stripper is a heck of a lot more fun to watch than one who is simply going through the motions.

And any chance you can add a 'Mint' flavor? I'm quite fond of green. (I like the taste of mint too, the fact that it is often green is just a bonus)

Offline Popuri

« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2011, 01:33:35 AM »
And any chance you can add a 'Mint' flavor? I'm quite fond of green. (I like the taste of mint too, the fact that it is often green is just a bonus)

Possibly!

Offline Popuri

« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2012, 04:16:46 PM »
Annnd I'm back.

Did some tinkering with the Java game over the holidays, but have since decided to simply work on modding the existing game instead.  Will start a new thread about my mod later as I get closer to releasing.  Stay tuned!

Offline sentza

« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2012, 05:04:49 PM »
Hello, I read that you mod the game. I start some little changes (script + add method in cGirl.cpp for my script). Now i try to include a clinic. My idea is to extend to Brothel class (for tranfert girl and manage her as in the brothel) and after add the jobs doctor class. What do you include in your next release?

Offline de.809tp

« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2012, 06:30:54 AM »

Hi, I am interested by your idea of a Java implementation. I am also a Java guy so may be I can help writing a class or two. :)
But be warned that sometimes I lost my coding passion quickly. :-\

Ok, so having made a little progress in my UI experiments, I'm going to go ahead and move forward a bit on my own game, vaguely based on WM.  Expect progress to be slow, but I'll post my alpha/beta on here once I move forward a bit.  Java based, so cross platform.

Major changes from WM that I have planned:

- Player chooses a part of town for first brothel.  Each has benefits/drawbacks (i.e. by the docks has more customers (sailors), but greater chance of violence/disease (sailors) ).
- Player stats.  The player will have stats and be male or female, with a portrait picked by the user.  Player will have job entries for shifts.  Female player can choose to work brothel shift.  Player can also personally supervise an area to give it a boost to obedience/profits.
- Gangs gone, replaced with 'Henchmen'.  Similar to girls, uses guy portraits, fill the old roles of gangs plus some more.
- Player only begins with a bar.  His brothel is expanded over time, adding rooms for actual brothel work, gambling hall, stage.  Girls have waitress and barmaid options at the bar to begin with, or whoring on streets, or other ones that don't involve working at home.
- Different jobs.  From Training to specific types, to 'Adventure' which includes exploring catacombs (alone or in a group of up to 4), mercenary work for city guard, or hired jobs for city's 'Adventurer Guild' which can take 1-4 weeks with increasing danger/prizes.
- Total overhaul to stats, traits, combat system.
Girl Stats: Attack, Defense (to hit or defend in combat), Strength, Toughness (to deal or absorb damage), Agility, Stamina (plays into job performance), beauty, charisma, intelligence, wits.  Obedience, loyalty (a girl might not be obedient to most, but loyal to her boss, raised by perks/rewards/bailing her out of jail), confidence, spirit.  PCLove/fear/hate.  Considering suspicion/disposition for girls and henches, altered by what jobs they do.
Player Stats: Attack, Defense, Strength, Toughness, etc. etc.  Suspicion, Disposition, Reputation (think PCFear for the city).
- Overhaul to graphics.  Will be a bit more 'cutesy'.
- Sibling/Relative/Teammate tracking.
- Brothel 'upgrades'.  Fence (reduces chance of runaways), Security Cameras (gives security a boost), Sauna (increases effects of rest), Employee lounge and upgrades (increases loyalty/happiness), etc. etc.

That's most of the major stuff I have planned, and I'm open to suggestions/offers to help.

Offline Popuri

« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2012, 01:22:12 PM »
Yeah my own passion has fallen by the wayside.  Ever since I discovered Mass Effect. :3  May return once I finish next month.

Offline de.809tp

« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2012, 05:45:50 PM »
So how is the progress now? If you wish, I can do some coding while you are enjoying your game.

Offline Popuri

« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2012, 02:56:45 PM »
Ok, thread necromancy time.

I've recently picked this back up and gotten started.  Have a lot of ideas, though my biggest challenges will be scripting events, my graphics, and loading/saving from XML files. :D

Anyway, current plan includes some of the following:

Girl Stats:
 Physical: Strength, Agility, Stamina
 Mental: Smarts, Wits, Willpower
 Social: Charm, Beauty, Manners
 Personality: Confidence, Obedience, Spirit

Those are the basic 12 stats.  Other stats will not be displayed with those, but have their own indicators.  These include:
 Loyalty, Love, Health, Energy, Happiness, Fame, Experience, Level, Age.

Girl Skills:
 Combat: Attack, Defense, Magic
 Service: Healing, Maid, Advertising
 Work: Barmaid, Waitress, Gambling
 Sex: Normal Sex, Fetish Sex, Stripping (will probably wind up expanding this section a lot)

Girl Fields:
 Name
 Genre (sci fi?  Magic girl?  Fantasy?)
 Hair
 Mother, Father, Siblings

Traits are a work in progress.  My intention is, rather than adjusting a girl's stats, traits will play into how she performs in jobs and how her stats are used.  For example, a line of tiered 'Martial Artist' traits, that allows her to add a portion of her Attack skill to her Strength to determine damage in combat, when unarmed.

More details to come, and as always, open to suggestions.

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2012, 06:26:22 AM »
You probably need magic defense as well unless spells can only heal and support.

Offline Popuri

« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2012, 07:56:02 AM »
You probably need magic defense as well unless spells can only heal and support.

The way I have it planned for now, Stamina resists Physical damage and Willpower resists Magic damage.

Offline sentza

« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2012, 04:20:29 PM »
Hi popuri,

Have you make progress ?

You can use xstream for parsing xml. It's easy to use ( http://xstream.codehaus.org/ )

I trought about a java implementation too.
Maybe slick for game framework and Swing or TWL (http://twl.l33tlabs.org/) librairies for GUI
http://slick.cokeandcode.com/
I'm testing TWL for other project...

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
  • "It's like hunting cows"
« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2012, 02:29:05 AM »
Hi popuri,

Have you make progress ?

You can use xstream for parsing xml. It's easy to use ( http://xstream.codehaus.org/ )

I trought about a java implementation too.
Maybe slick for game framework and Swing or TWL (http://twl.l33tlabs.org/) librairies for GUI
http://slick.cokeandcode.com/
I'm testing TWL for other project...

xml parser is a must I think. Slick looks really good too!
Like what we're doing?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
  • "It's like hunting cows"
« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2012, 02:37:34 AM »
Ok, thread necromancy time.

I've recently picked this back up and gotten started.  Have a lot of ideas, though my biggest challenges will be scripting events, my graphics, and loading/saving from XML files. :D

Anyway, current plan includes some of the following:

Girl Stats:
 Physical: Strength, Agility, Stamina
 Mental: Smarts, Wits, Willpower
 Social: Charm, Beauty, Manners
 Personality: Confidence, Obedience, Spirit

Those are the basic 12 stats.  Other stats will not be displayed with those, but have their own indicators.  These include:
 Loyalty, Love, Health, Energy, Happiness, Fame, Experience, Level, Age.

Girl Skills:
 Combat: Attack, Defense, Magic
 Service: Healing, Maid, Advertising
 Work: Barmaid, Waitress, Gambling
 Sex: Normal Sex, Fetish Sex, Stripping (will probably wind up expanding this section a lot)

Girl Fields:
 Name
 Genre (sci fi?  Magic girl?  Fantasy?)
 Hair
 Mother, Father, Siblings

Traits are a work in progress.  My intention is, rather than adjusting a girl's stats, traits will play into how she performs in jobs and how her stats are used.  For example, a line of tiered 'Martial Artist' traits, that allows her to add a portion of her Attack skill to her Strength to determine damage in combat, when unarmed.

More details to come, and as always, open to suggestions.

You are not making the mistakes we make :)
 Start slow with a limited amount of jobs and stats but think those through and implement well and with good texts + events.
 No plans for items? Or are you going to use item list from another game like WM/DoD or something else?
 As another idea, think about adding job levels to the game as traits, they can raise stat caps! Easy to implement and adds depth to the game!
 Good luck
Like what we're doing?