Author Topic: Removal of Spam Threads: How can this be achieved?  (Read 15973 times)

Offline hewhocumsbynight

• All Hail the Crimson King!
Removal of Spam Threads: How can this be achieved?
« on: November 30, 2012, 12:47:03 PM »
Hey, does anyone know if there's any way we can block and/or destroy all the junk threads spammers have recently opened on this forum?
My MEGA folder can be found at:  https://mega.co.nz/#F!EYhAgTyI!keiMX47NrnGOEozwNb2Vfg

Torrent link of my version, effective September, 2016:  magnet:?xt=urn:btih:4606F11A1C216337D7F3DFD6716307F48CFB996A&dn=WhoreMaster.06.02.29&tr=udp%3a%2f%2ftracker.openbittorrent.com%3a80

Offline crazy

Re: Removal of Spam Threads: How can this be achieved?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2012, 04:11:44 PM »
Hey, does anyone know if there's any way we can block and/or destroy all the junk threads spammers have recently opened on this forum?
Only a mod can do it and there isn't but a few of them most of them old devs so just gotta wait for one of them to stop in and take care of it.

Offline hewhocumsbynight

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2012, 09:20:25 PM »
Ah, that's a pain.  I wonder if we can figure out some other way to reduce the infestation...
My MEGA folder can be found at:  https://mega.co.nz/#F!EYhAgTyI!keiMX47NrnGOEozwNb2Vfg

Torrent link of my version, effective September, 2016:  magnet:?xt=urn:btih:4606F11A1C216337D7F3DFD6716307F48CFB996A&dn=WhoreMaster.06.02.29&tr=udp%3a%2f%2ftracker.openbittorrent.com%3a80

Offline E.

• Till the end of Eternity.
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2012, 09:28:35 PM »
Drastic measure: Ban them and shut off forum registration for a while.

Offline Dagoth

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2012, 04:37:48 PM »
I check in every couple of days or so to the forums and clean up any spam as needed, banning the spambots in the process.

Offline hewhocumsbynight

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2012, 08:29:10 PM »
Thank you, Dagoth.  I appreciate it.

Offline letmein

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2012, 11:07:16 PM »
Dagoth:  badass moderator three years running.
Still lurking.

Offline Solo761

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2012, 03:40:44 AM »
I just deleted and spammed newest bots. Also I installed a mod that adds "Are you human" dropdown menu to registration page. We already have custom question on registration page so either they hardcoded bots for pinkpetal to pass it or that mechanism is broken. Hopefully that will solve the issue of spam bots registering.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
  • "It's like hunting cows"
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2012, 07:15:21 AM »
I just deleted and spammed newest bots. Also I installed a mod that adds "Are you human" dropdown menu to registration page. We already have custom question on registration page so either they hardcoded bots for pinkpetal to pass it or that mechanism is broken. Hopefully that will solve the issue of spam bots registering.

8) Awesome, Great job!

\\We did get a new one thou: http://pinkpetal.org/index.php?topic=1048.0
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 07:19:37 AM by Xela »
Like what we're doing?

Offline Dagoth

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2012, 07:50:59 AM »
I've recently heard that more spammers are human these days rather than bots, so that would explain the CAPTCHA stuff not keeping them out.

Since their whole purpose is to post links for search engines to pick up, maybe there's something available to prevent that. I'll look into it when I have some spare time.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 07:55:06 AM by Dagoth »

Offline hewhocumsbynight

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2012, 10:02:16 AM »
Thanks.  They're bothersome to me, so I appreciate your efforts immensely.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2012, 07:42:19 AM »
There are a lot more spammers on new domain then on old one... that is kind of odd by itself.
Like what we're doing?

Offline F-Trill

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2012, 03:57:42 AM »
I know that I'm new here, and haven't contributed much at all- (A report of spam and a few questions related to errors)- But I'd like to offer my services in helping with the forum.

I've been a Moderator on several other forums in the past, as well as having a few of the old phpBB from WAAAY back, so I have the ability to drop into such a position pretty seamlessly.  I also have insomnia, which means I can be here at any given time, day and night, which would give spammers an extremely hard time.

If any of the staff here would like to contact me, please feel free.  I'll be happy to answer any questions you may have, and it may be a good idea to have someone like myself taking care of moderation here so that developers can focus on the game and not worry too much about the state of the forum.  I'll also be updating my email address as well, since the service which I used when I signed up with had a major security breach.  I believe I gave the staff permission to email me, so please do.

Thanks for the dedicated work, folks.

Offline Dagoth

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2012, 11:59:16 AM »
There are a lot more spammers on new domain then on old one... that is kind of odd by itself.
That's explained by the old domain being on co.cc, since Google blocked indexing of all sites on that domain quite some time ago. With Google picking up the new domain here and now indexing the site since the domain is not on their blocked list... there you go.
Based on it being newly picked up by Google and thus being "fresh", the tide of spammers might hopefully decrease after a while.

I'm considering setting up an old member or two as Global Moderator to handle these when I'm not around.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2012, 08:14:11 PM »
That's explained by the old domain being on co.cc, since Google blocked indexing of all sites on that domain quite some time ago. With Google picking up the new domain here and now indexing the site since the domain is not on their blocked list... there you go.
Based on it being newly picked up by Google and thus being "fresh", the tide of spammers might hopefully decrease after a while.

I'm considering setting up an old member or two as Global Moderator to handle these when I'm not around.

Well, let's hope they all disappear but I am online a lot if you need help moderating.
Like what we're doing?