PyTFall > PyTFall: Game design

Characters+traits concept

<< < (2/8) > >>

DarkTl:
That's how our mobs work. I don't see much difference between them.

I hope you don't think that people gonna calculate how many charisma character can have at 80 level. That's what the system about. You set the level you want, and how every stat should be close to possible max at this level. Without calculating something that the game can do better.

I don't really understand how else you can do it. Explain if you have a better idea. Unless you want all characters to be lvl1 only in the beginning, in which case I disagree.

Xela:

--- Quote from: DarkTl on January 02, 2015, 03:21:33 PM ---That's how our mobs work. I don't see much difference between them.

--- End quote ---

That's not how mobs work and it's not the same :(

--- Quote from: DarkTl on January 02, 2015, 03:21:33 PM ---I hope you don't think that people gonna calculate how many charisma character can have at 80 level. That's what the system about. You set the level you want, and how every stat should be close to possible max at this level. Without calculating something that the game can do better.

--- End quote ---

Actually if (when) we make an actual editor for the same, we can have it calculate exactly what they end up with, even counting in complex traits mechanics we have now at higher levels... but this is not the point.

I would argue that knowing absolute stat levels are useless. When I develop a character I think about how to assign her stats relative to one another. If a character is not particularity smart but powerful, you assign intel to 30% of whatever the max is and battle stats + constitution high (70 - 100%). It's by far the best system and does trump your proposal both in possibilities and coding complexity (being simpler to code).

It's the same thing we have now but instead of using percentages from maxes at level 1, we level up a character up and use the percentages relative to the max of assigned level. It makes perfect sense... because relative values is all you should care about.

DarkTl:

--- Quote from: Xela on January 02, 2015, 03:59:21 PM ---If a character is not particularity smart but powerful, you assign intel to 30% of whatever the max is and battle stats + constitution high (70 - 100%). It's by far the best system and does trump your proposal both in possibilities and coding complexity (being simpler to code).

--- End quote ---
...Perhaps I explained it poorly. That's exactly how it is supposed to work.

However, unlike mobs, you set it not from 0 to 100 (%), but from 0 to 10. This is because I want girls stats to be more random, thus high accuracy is not needed. Charisma 1 means charisma from 5 to 15% if it would be a mob.

DarkTl:
No, wait. I have a better idea. We could use a separate value, random factor. It will be up to pack maker (and players) how random characters stats will be.

So we use the same system like mobs, ie relative values from 0 to 100. Plus with the help of random factor (from 0 to 100 too) we set possible deviations, ie no deviations with 0 and ±100% with 100.

Xela:

--- Quote from: DarkTl on January 03, 2015, 04:07:45 AM ---No, wait. I have a better idea.

--- End quote ---

I can't tell if you're being serious or messing with us as part of Holidays cheer :)

--- Quote ---“No! Wait! I've got a better idea..."

"Your ideas tend to result in unnecessary violence, Sergeant Schlock."

"And your point is..."

"Let's broaden the definition of 'necessary'."

-Sergeant Schlock & Captain Tagon”
― Howard Tayler, The Tub of Happiness

--- End quote ---

In any case, it will work as I've described because it's a good, easy to explain, logical system that is already in play!

--- Quote from: DarkTl on January 03, 2015, 04:07:45 AM ---It will be up to pack maker (and players)

--- End quote ---

Yeap, it always is! There is a file a modder/player can include with his/her pack that can make a characters be exactly what they wish them to be, it's actually very simple. In fact one could even not have any script in data file at all and create a character in that file from a scratch.

If you weren't kidding and want your characters to have unique unique, random initialization sequences, I/Thewlis will write you the code exactly as you want it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version