devolution

Author Topic: trait creator  (Read 5004 times)

Offline highx9

trait creator
« on: January 09, 2010, 07:03:48 PM »
I dont know if this could be able, but could we have like we have a girls or an item creator, a Trait editor? I just came up with it while making a girl =)

Offline Mehzerz

• Rockin' the after life after party
Re: trait creator
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2010, 07:30:05 PM »
You a tool to create new traits? I don't think the game can handle that... plus thinking about it through a gameplay aspect... Imagine if someone created a bunch of traits and added them into girls that they shared? The game might crash due to these traits being missing. Or the traits won't show up due to them being missing in another.

I believe necno made a comment about traits not being able to be customizable. But do they really need to be? The traits we have now should be plenty to describe any girl.
Starter girls image additions progress:
26 girls, 18 to go

Offline Solo761

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2010, 07:51:45 PM »
Traits are not just tags that actually do nothing, they change stats of the girls (most of them anyway). They're hard coded into the game. Potentially they could be made completely external, currently there's CoreTraits.traits file that contains trait names and trait descriptions. That could be expanded to also store what exactly that trait does. But as Mehzerz said that wouldn't be such a great idea because of character packs. There should be some anchor point that keeps it all compatible, at the moment it could be said that it's current implementation of traits.

Offline highx9

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2010, 08:11:42 PM »

Offline delta224

• Dev Team
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2010, 08:32:41 PM »
Once we finish up the jobs, I am thinking of changing up how traits are handled, and maybe allow for user created traits along with some handling if they are not there.

Offline zodiac44

• Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2010, 01:58:33 AM »
I could see a limited ability to custom design traits, insofar as making ones that modify stats or skills or act as fetishes, but beyond those I can see any way to create traits with different functionality (like, for example, the Yandere trait).
Capitalization is the difference between "I had to help my uncle Jack off a horse" and "I had to help my uncle jack off a horse."

Offline ShiningRadiance

• I command thee!
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2010, 03:45:12 PM »
I'd think it would be possible, when making traits, to share them with others along with packs that use those traits. If it's handled differently, it could be handled like .girlsx files, in that there could be multiple files that hold different traits, couldn't it? If not, then couldn't the one file be editable, with character packs that use traits not made in-game just having instructions as what to add?
Please treat me well even though I don't deserve it.

Offline delta224

• Dev Team
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2010, 03:49:56 PM »
Yeah, it would not be that hard to have multiple trait files, but I would need to code some sort of collsion detection for when you have traits of the same name.

Offline ShiningRadiance

• I command thee!
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2010, 04:00:08 PM »
If a tool is made for trait files likes girl files, then couldn't people check that themselves when they load up each of them?

It's a little lazy, but it seems to make sense that if there were big problems about that, people could do things themselves like they do now for .girlsx files.

Offline delta224

• Dev Team
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2010, 04:03:43 PM »
Not really since the traits are tracked by name internally so two names would screw it up.

Offline ShiningRadiance

• I command thee!
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2010, 04:08:46 PM »
What I mean is that if there were a tool similar to the girl editor/adder one, then would it be possible to load multiple traits files simultaneously onto that tool, then just merge those two traits manually, or delete an old version of the trait, or a new one? It works with girls. I'm just wondering whether a user could delete or change files like that using a tool.

Offline DocClox

• Dev Team
  • Messing Around With Python
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2010, 04:34:35 PM »
If past experience is any guide, Solo's editor will code with user defined traits shortly after the format stabilises.

Offline delta224

• Dev Team
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2010, 05:19:27 PM »
What I'm more worried about is if someone does not do that before starting the game.

Offline DocClox

• Dev Team
  • Messing Around With Python
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2010, 06:02:12 PM »
Easiest thing would be to have the later loaded trait replace the original one entirely. Or just drop a trait definition if one already exists.

Probably with a warning in the gamelog so people could find out why their new trait didn't appear.

Maybe we could have a separate tag for extending traits, when the intention was to add to the effect of an existing one

Offline Mehzerz

• Rockin' the after life after party
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2010, 07:48:00 PM »
I'm really not concerned about adding traits. I think the pre-existing ones are plenty. It seems like too much of a hassle for too little a reward.
Starter girls image additions progress:
26 girls, 18 to go