Author Topic: Scripting and Coding  (Read 2446 times)

Offline DocClox

• Dev Team
  • Messing Around With Python
Scripting and Coding
« on: October 31, 2009, 03:44:26 PM »
I've just been playing with the script editor: I've got a coding itch and since I don't have the game itself to hack on, I thought I'd look at implementing some ideas I have for the dungeon menu.

Having looked at it: I seem to remember there was a command line compiler for the scripts. What happened to that, and is it likely to come back at all? The messed up indenting in the editor, along with the small window and the complexity of the code is going to make the current script close on unmaintainable, so far as I can see. Now if I can edit the stuff in an external editor, it's a different story. But right now I can't even copy the text so I can paste it into a text editor and see what matches up with what.

Also, and since I'm on the subject of coding: any sign of an ETA for that code release, necno?

Offline letmein

Re: Scripting and Coding
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2009, 08:11:25 PM »
Heh...  I had the same idea, for all of thirty seconds.  I was sure my one semester of Java would make it easy...  how wrong was I.

I wish *you* luck, though, Doc.
Still lurking.

Offline DocClox

• Dev Team
  • Messing Around With Python
Re: Scripting and Coding
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2009, 02:27:53 AM »
Heh...  I had the same idea, for all of thirty seconds.  I was sure my one semester of Java would make it easy...  how wrong was I.

I wish *you* luck, though, Doc.

Thanks.  The scripting itself doesn't look so bad. Then again, I've been coding for a living for a couple of decades now :)

I still think I'd like to set up Lua as an alternate scripting engine. The game could check for scriptname.lua and then scriptname.script and run the first one it found. Get that done and then there are lua editors already out there we can use.

Menawhile, it's just too damn hard to figure out what's going on. Broken indentation,  a 15 line window, and you can't even print the code out.