Author Topic: New Event Submission/Discussion Thread (Unlocked, sorry bout that!)  (Read 43417 times)

Offline Krayben

I mentioned this in a reply to another topic, but I wanted to make sure people could see and provide opinions, should I join the project.

Like the title says, I'm a writer (although not published) and an English minor. I'd like to offer my services in giving the game a bit more of a narrative so the player can see a complete story unfold around his actions toward his customers, his rivals, and all the fine "ho's and bitches" under his employ.

If you're interested, Necno, please let me know via PM or e-mail and give me a list of events you'd like me to write for. I can't code to save my own life, but I can write short yet descriptive erotica to make your work load at least a little lighter. I hope you'll take me up on my offer because this game is great and I'd love to be a part of it. Hope to hear from you soon.

EDIT: I don't mean to say that the writing isn't good already. Believe me, I love the writing so far. I just want to do my part and make the development process easier.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2009, 06:42:00 PM by Krayben »

Offline letmein

Re: Short-Fiction writer looking to help out.
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2009, 08:07:11 PM »
It's always nice to see fresh blood...
Still lurking.

Offline Krayben

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2009, 08:25:35 PM »
Thanks, I hope I actually get to help out with the game.

Offline Fstop

• I <3 Deadpool
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2009, 11:43:43 PM »
those fresh blood rhyme with flesh bud ?
Deadpool: Shhh. My Common sense is tingling
Common sense so rare it's a god damn super power!

Offline Krayben

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2009, 01:09:15 AM »
No idea, but fresh blood makes sharks go into a feeding frenzy.

Offline necno

• Core Developer
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2009, 04:05:17 PM »
Plenty of sharks here in OZ.
In fact we have a really inviting river in Brisbane where even on the hottest day you will never see anyone swim. Its rather frustrating as the weather here is starting to warm up.
I could definitely use someone to write new or improve dialog. Also coming up with additional ways of saying the existing text. As I can add multiple feedback for each event (ie the same event may happen twice but you get different text). More useful though, would be if you or  anyone could write short branching stories (like the choose your own adventure books) for the girls that come with the game. Then i would have no problem scripting them.
Click here to donate
After you do so please pm me the email address you used so I can add you to the donation forum.

Working on:
Whoremaster II (Official)
Birthright (Now a commercial rougelike)

Offline Krayben

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2009, 05:03:30 PM »
I'll get right on that, hombre. 8) *Zips off to write, leaving the cigarette and sunglasses hanging in mid-air.*

Offline letmein

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2009, 08:53:57 PM »
Oh, necno, my respect for you just shot up yet another thousand points.  Australia is, in a word, terrifying.  *Everything* there kills people.  The animals there are just on a whole different level of "scary" than anywhere else, the only possible exception being the central Amazon.
Still lurking.

Offline Krayben

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2009, 11:03:16 PM »
Like dingos and wombats or something? Sorry, the wildlife of Australia hasn't been one of my areas of study. Wouldn't mind hearing about some of these scary creatures. Or just names so I can look them up on my own time.

Offline letmein

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2009, 12:02:15 AM »
http://www.cracked.com/article_17579_7-terrifying-giant-versions-disgusting-critters.html

http://www.cracked.com/article_16868_6-deadliest-creatures-that-can-fit-in-your-shoe.html

Sure, they're not *all* Australian, but close enough.  When traveling there, just assume everything is either a) carniverous, b) poisonous, c) parasitic, of d) absolutely, completely horrifying.  Basically the only thing that won't kill you on sight are the kangaroos, which instead opt for the "suicidal destruction" also favored by the American whitetail deer, and try to find cars to wreck.

EDIT:  little-known fact:  platypus (native to Australia), beside being absolutely ridiculous to behold, have poisonous barbs on their rear legs.  Just because having a beak wasn't crazy enough...
Still lurking.

Offline necno

• Core Developer
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2009, 12:05:13 AM »
Maybe look up drop bears
Click here to donate
After you do so please pm me the email address you used so I can add you to the donation forum.

Working on:

Offline letmein

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2009, 12:18:18 AM »
SEE!!!?!!!  I told you...  I bet necno has to grab a .45 just to get to car.
Still lurking.

Offline Krayben

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2009, 02:26:26 AM »
I can upload the designs I have for a flaming potato gun if I can just find them. Halloween night, I set up zip-lines all around town and rained down fiery spud-based terror on passing trick-or-treaters. I was a good Halloween. But I digress, if I can find them, you'll have a projectile weapon that guarantees amusing stories to tell when you use it.

"I shot flaming potatoes at a kangaroo and the bastard came up and kicked the shit out of me."
"One unfortunate koala got a flaming potato to the face when it thought it could drop down and rape me."
"Sixteen children were mauled by a rampaging platypus before a masked hero brought down the beast with a fiery potato barrage."

Safety measure AND a conversation piece.

Offline DocClox

• Dev Team
  • Messing Around With Python
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2009, 02:36:58 AM »
I can upload the designs I have for a flaming potato gun if I can just find them.

Unquestionably the weapon of choice when dealing with drop bears :)

[edit]

Since we're talking about improving the text, I thought I'd fiddle a bit with the opening text:

Welcome to Crossgate, a city in the realm of Mundiga,  where criminals rule and space and time overlap with  other worlds and dimensions.  Once a powerful crime lord in the city,  your father was recently assassinated and his assets looted by rivals. All that remains  is the fire-gutted shell of an old brothel that served as your father's  headquarters.

However this building hides some interesting secrets. Still concealed in the cellars is the dungeon where your father conducted  the less savory aspects of his business. Underneath,  endless catacombs extend, constantly shifting in the dimensional flux, which draws in beings and plunder  from a thousand different worlds.

Your job now is to return the brothel to its former glories of exotic women and carnal pleasures. That will give you the income you need to avenge your father, and resume your rightful place as his successor.

It is up to you if you will be as evil as your father or not, but in any case you start with very little gold and your first  order of business should be to purchase some girls from the slave market, and to hire some goons to guard your headquarters.

Just came across the text in source code, couldn't resist the urge to fiddle...

Here's a thought: the idea of the first building being gutted by fire crept in because it made the prose more evocative. Still, it makes me wonder if a luxury level for the brothel might be in order. Say level zero has the clients shagging girls on stained mattresses in the burnt and blackened ruins. Level one costs 500 gold and has the place aired out and sheets on the beds. It could be tied to accommodation level, so that you couldn't put a girl up in better  accommodation than the luxury level of the brothel.

And of course, the more luxurious the decor, the better the class of clients you can attract.

[edit]

Also, there's the possibility of putting the girls to work cleaning the place up. Which I find oddly appealing. Be nice to do both, but I can't think how they'd dovetail, offhand.

[edit]

necro, how do you pronounce Mundiga, anyway? "Mun-didj-a?" "Mun-dee-ga?" "Mun-dig-er?"

I have got to stop editing this post...
« Last Edit: November 02, 2009, 04:29:45 AM by DocClox »

Offline necno

• Core Developer
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2009, 03:16:31 PM »
I used your new intro text over the one i had in there.
Cleaning brothels is already planned.
As for luxury level, it would make sense to make accommodation level for the girls affect the customers, that way it is realistic in that the girls sleep where they work and the higher class girls have more luxury rooms.
Click here to donate

Working on: