devolution

Author Topic: New Event Submission/Discussion Thread (Unlocked, sorry bout that!)  (Read 43779 times)

Offline letmein

Re: Short-Fiction writer looking to help out.
« Reply #45 on: November 09, 2009, 12:36:32 AM »
I like it, Kray.  Keep working on these - some great ideas coming in.
Still lurking.

Offline Krayben

« Reply #46 on: November 09, 2009, 01:18:15 AM »
I like it, Kray.  Keep working on these - some great ideas coming in.
Much appreciated!
Well, I had another brain-fart and this is what came of it. Hope you like it.

A well-known guard asks to inspect your premises. Knowing that your "less than legal" activities take place in a well-hidden area that unless one knows exactly what to look for there's no chance they'll find the entrance, you allow the guard to search thinking that it will only take an hour or so. After four hours of disrupting the activities of the brothel, the guard leaves and gives you the impression all is well. An hour later, a troop of guards rush into your brothel and hold you at sword-point, charging you with possession of an illegal mind-control substance, Zubadai.
     You've never used Zubadai because you know that long-term use of Zubadai leads to random outbursts of violence. You chuckle to yourself as one of your father's anecdotes about one of his girls (she'd been bought from a Zubadai dealer) tearing off a customer's penis and beating him to death with a table leg.
     Thankfully, your old man was good enough to teach you how to get out of such situations without putting yourself in harm's way. When the guards go to bind your arms, you crack open a small ball full of a potent knock-out gas. Because you hold your breath and the gas is odorless, the guards quickly pass out. You practically cackle at the crooked guards' attempt to frame you. Your goons haul the guards to the dungeon for interrogation...

I figured I would give you guys the premise of my next one, see what you think of it. Writing out the choices at the next chance I get.

Offline zodiac44

• Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
« Reply #47 on: November 09, 2009, 01:35:56 AM »
Sounds good, but how would it play out when the player isn't actually breaking the law (assuming running a brothel isn't illegal)?  If you're playing a "good" route, there should be an alternate resolution to the problem - perhaps using your contacts in the city government to get you out of trouble?
Capitalization is the difference between "I had to help my uncle Jack off a horse" and "I had to help my uncle jack off a horse."

Offline letmein

« Reply #48 on: November 09, 2009, 01:38:35 AM »
:thumbs up:
Still lurking.

Offline Krayben

« Reply #49 on: November 09, 2009, 04:28:40 AM »
Sounds good, but how would it play out when the player isn't actually breaking the law (assuming running a brothel isn't illegal)?  If you're playing a "good" route, there should be an alternate resolution to the problem - perhaps using your contacts in the city government to get you out of trouble?
Upon interrogation, you find out that the crooked guards planted evidence in your place. They were crooked, meaning corrupt. Someone paid them off to plant the evidence, pretend to arrest you, and kill you on the way to prison. "Justifiable homicide in apprehending a suspect". It was an attempt at sabotaging you. Attempt by who? You'll have to wait and see.  ;)

Offline letmein

« Reply #50 on: November 09, 2009, 04:31:09 AM »
I'd start taking out kneecaps, personally.  Not because those blokes were at fault, but because it seems like a healthy way to blow off some steam after being blamed for the one illegal thing I *don't* do.
Still lurking.

Offline Midnight_Amratha

« Reply #51 on: November 09, 2009, 10:31:02 AM »
well why do the dirty yourself if you have sadistic girls who will be even more grateful to you if they are permitted to go full hog on the crooked guard?
The line between lunacy and genious is very thin.
So far i haven't been able to find it.

Offline zodiac44

• Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
« Reply #52 on: November 09, 2009, 10:57:42 AM »
Upon interrogation, you find out that the crooked guards planted evidence in your place. They were crooked, meaning corrupt. Someone paid them off to plant the evidence, pretend to arrest you, and kill you on the way to prison. "Justifiable homicide in apprehending a suspect". It was an attempt at sabotaging you. Attempt by who? You'll have to wait and see.  ;)

I guess what I was getting at is that I'm not sure the "good" player would choose to knock the guards out in the first place.  Maybe go with them, sit and stew for a day in jail before being bailed out by the mayor (or other high-ranking public official) who is "outraged" at the treatment such a distinguished citizen has been exposed to by the city guard.  Investigations then lead to the guard's corruption and the fact that he was paid off to plant the evidence.
Capitalization is the difference between "I had to help my uncle Jack off a horse" and "I had to help my uncle jack off a horse."

Offline Krayben

« Reply #53 on: November 09, 2009, 02:53:25 PM »
I guess what I was getting at is that I'm not sure the "good" player would choose to knock the guards out in the first place.  Maybe go with them, sit and stew for a day in jail before being bailed out by the mayor (or other high-ranking public official) who is "outraged" at the treatment such a distinguished citizen has been exposed to by the city guard.  Investigations then lead to the guard's corruption and the fact that he was paid off to plant the evidence.
The thing is that  whether you are good or not, you are the son of a big-time crime lord. As such, you've been taught and trained in his vast areas of expertise, even to the point where you can literally smell a hit in disguise. Your intuition (rightly) tells you they aren't planning on you getting to the prison alive whether you resist or not. That's a good idea, though. I will use that in another event where the underlying cause isn't one of your rivals trying to have you killed.
I'dstart taking out kneecaps, personally.  Not because those blokes wereat fault, but because it seems like a healthy way to blow off somesteam after being blamed for the one illegal thing I *don't* do.
That's what it's meant to make you think, "The one illegalthing Idon't do! These guys don't know shit about how I operate. If they were actually performing a legit investigation, then they'd have been briefed on things like that. I'm planning something to do with the kneecaps, but I can't tell you until I post the full version. I'm going to repost the whole thing once I write out the options. The kneecap thing will be unpleasant on their end and very satisfying if you happen to be in a sadistic mood.

Offline DocClox

• Dev Team
  • Messing Around With Python
« Reply #54 on: November 09, 2009, 03:44:35 PM »
The thing is that  whether you are good or not, you are the son of a big-time crime lord. As such, you've been taught and trained in his vast areas of expertise, even to the point where you can literally smell a hit in disguise.

I think that in this game "good" is always going to be relative. The PC may not torture girls or trade slaves, but I don't think he's ever going to be a milquetoast either. I think a little force in self defence is probably in character, even at the nicer end of the spectrum.

Offline Krayben

« Reply #55 on: November 09, 2009, 04:57:50 PM »
I think that in this game "good" is always going to be relative. The PC may not torture girls or trade slaves, but I don't think he's ever going to be a milquetoast either. I think a little force in self defence is probably in character, even at the nicer end of the spectrum.
Couldn't have put it better myself, Doc.

Offline letmein

« Reply #56 on: November 10, 2009, 07:18:43 PM »
Nice.  I'd try to think of a fourth option that could be a little more "good" (or at least neutral) for all the nice guys out there, but not bad.

What if you released them on the condition they worked for you?  They might not be the most loyal, but they'd like money and probably be pretty skilled...
Still lurking.

Offline DocClox

• Dev Team
  • Messing Around With Python
« Reply #57 on: November 10, 2009, 07:40:40 PM »
Have 'em stripped of armor and weapons, beaten halfway senseless by your goons, and then dump them in the nastiest slum in town with their hands tied behind their back, and "copper" tattooed on their foreheads. They might make it back alive, they might not, but it's more of a chance than they would have given you.

... and if they do survive, they'll think twice before trying to play you for a sucker again.

[probably a little too complex, but something like that...]

Offline Fstop

• I <3 Deadpool
« Reply #58 on: November 10, 2009, 08:21:02 PM »
I would personally like a choice to frame the rival who tried to get you killed probably removing them automatically from the rival list
Deadpool: Shhh. My Common sense is tingling
Common sense so rare it's a god damn super power!

Offline Krayben

« Reply #59 on: November 10, 2009, 10:09:19 PM »
Have 'em stripped of armor and weapons, beaten halfway senseless by your goons, and then dump them in the nastiest slum in town with their hands tied behind their back, and "copper" tattooed on their foreheads. They might make it back alive, they might not, but it's more of a chance than they would have given you.

... and if they do survive, they'll think twice before trying to play you for a sucker again.

[probably a little too complex, but something like that...]
Yes, Nec. Add this as the fourth option. XD

Iwould personally like a choice to frame the rival who tried to get youkilled probably removing them automatically from the rival list
I'll write that choice up next chance I get.