devolution

Author Topic: Bugs: 1.30 Alpha  (Read 154590 times)

Offline Dagoth

• Administrator
Re: Bugs: 1.30 Alpha
« Reply #120 on: May 15, 2010, 01:31:45 AM »
HuiBui and RyRain, I'll check on your saves in a little bit.

Matron tends to come back on line in the evening shift but doesn't change the morning shift while doing so. This seems to leave her in a "stuck" non-functional state until I change it back manually.
That should be a simple fix for the next release.

Early in the game the matron chose to "help a girl relax" instead of taking her off-line. From then on the matron would do absolutely nothing at all in the game but "help a girl relax", allowing a number of girls to reach near death before I intervened and started management myself. I tried both taking the matron offline and letting her rest, as well as switching the matron job to another girl. This went on for several game years until I finally made a girl matron who had under 10% health. The turn the matron should have died she finally decided to "help girl heal" as well as "help girl relax" and after that things returned to their normal state. (When I reported about this before I had said the matron "comforts" a girl. This was an error on my part. It was "help girl relax" before as well.)
Thanks, I'll add those details to the earlier report. It should help me track down the problem, though I haven't encountered it myself yet.

I finally fired up the game to play, but after an hour of walks and checking the slavemarket, not one of my girls has shown up in either, only random girls and girls that come packaged with the game. The commandline window does bitch about none of them having trigger files, if that has anything to do with it.

Edit: I think running it in admin and starting a new game fixed it. Or I was incredibly unlucky for an hour straight.
If you look in the save file at the top you should see the available girls. If your new girls are listed there with the original ones, they should presumably show up the same. I've tested briefly with a couple of girl packs now in Win7 x64 and the girls were added to the save file, and I then had one of them show up in game.
The lack of trigger files is of course fine, as the only original girl with one is Cammy.
So, you were probably just unlucky.

As for the income issues, at some point I plan to rework the Turn Summary screen a bit (while switching it to XML layout), and include a bit more detailed accounting info somewhere there. I doubt I'll look any further into money accounting issues before then.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2010, 01:33:25 AM by Dagoth »

Offline LordShame

« Reply #121 on: May 15, 2010, 03:26:00 AM »
I'll assume security and cleaning detail cost money that isn't being shown to get to 184 profit.

There's a mystery 40 gold that goes away every week; if you do nothing at all in an empty house (like in the beginning of the game) you lose that amount no matter what. That's been there for a long time, but I've always assumed it was the player's living expenses and I've never thought twice about it. Also, just having a girl in a room costs money depending on her accomodation (girls in the dungeon are free). A brothel with one completely idle girl on "adequate" accomodations and nothing else loses a total of 118 gold per week.

These expenses seem to be included correctly in the weekly profit  report, or at least they are in the beginning... but unless you've put the six girls in your example on "very poor" accomodations your overhead should probably be bigger than your 275 -> 184 calculation, so there still might be something weird going on.

Offline xorgroth

• Not active, RIP WM
« Reply #122 on: May 15, 2010, 03:45:08 AM »
Unsure if this has been reported as of yet but in r372. Unable to interact with girls or at least the dialog doesn't show up after hitting it. Does however eventually go gray after about 10 clicks.

Edit: Jumped a couple rev releases. :P
« Last Edit: May 15, 2010, 03:55:06 AM by xorgroth »

Offline Dagoth

• Administrator
« Reply #123 on: May 15, 2010, 06:33:08 AM »
Unsure if this has been reported as of yet but in r372. Unable to interact with girls or at least the dialog doesn't show up after hitting it. Does however eventually go gray after about 10 clicks.
Anyone else having this problem? I can't reproduce it. I just extracted a fresh copy of r327 and extracted the r372 update over it, started a new Test (cheat) game, got Alena from walking around town, and chatted with her in the brothel.

Offline Dagoth

• Administrator
« Reply #124 on: May 15, 2010, 08:21:05 AM »
Committed a couple more.

Fixed:
* a bug prevented girls on their free time from buying things from the shop; it's back to functional again
* girl fights can now end in draw if still going after 1000 attacks rather than potentially getting stuck in an infinite loop

Offline Dagoth

• Administrator
« Reply #125 on: May 15, 2010, 08:50:01 AM »
"I   have found a bug about earning money as whores in brothel .

The girls suddenly, dont see any customer , so they earn no money.
But the brothel has , at the same time , each week : "65524 customers visited the building"
OK, nailed this one down. The number of customers was actually in the negative, causing it to display the wrong number. I've fixed it so the number of customers can't go into the negative. I've also adjusted the filthiness to lost customers ratio to be a little more forgiving in general, but to have no cap on how many customers can be lost that way (it was capped at 50 customers and was figured as filthiness/3, now it is uncapped and is filthiness/10).
As for why you had no customers, your brothel's filthiness was too high and  no customers wanted to wade through the nastiness. Set a girl or two to do cleaning.

Found a crash glitch. For some reason my current save has a high chance of crashing if I go to the next day. Just try next day a couple times and it should happen. Save attached. Didn't know if I just needed the base file or the master file so both are there.
I can't duplicate this one; I tried clicking Next Week about 10 times, and reloading the save twice more and going through ~10 more weeks each.

EDIT: also, I've just added a turn summary message for brothels to show you how many customers are lost due to brothel filthiness.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2010, 09:09:18 AM by Dagoth »

Offline Dagoth

• Administrator
« Reply #126 on: May 15, 2010, 01:24:34 PM »
More committed.

Fixed:
* number of customers could go into the negatives due to high filthiness; added a check to set number of customers to 0 if it's in the negative
* girls now properly train in groups of up to 4 girls. The grouping of girls is now randomized, and the turn summary report indicates which girls trained with which. Also, training can no longer give negative gains ("+-1" indeed :P).
* girls who train alone (only possible if you have only 1 girl training) now have 50% chance to gain 1-3 points in a random stat, instead of 10% chance to gain 1 point; also, turn summary output for it is updated

* number of customers lost due to filthiness is now reported in the turn summary for each brothel

EDIT: and:
* Matron was still a bit bugged; should work perfectly now. Also, the Matron can put herself back to work (if she took herself off duty due to getting too tired or whatever).
« Last Edit: May 15, 2010, 04:49:57 PM by Dagoth »

Offline Dagoth

• Administrator
« Reply #127 on: May 15, 2010, 05:08:52 PM »
Since I'm releasing r385, here are the major included changes since the last release (r372):

* switching between day and night on Girl Management screen no longer rebuilds the girl list, maintaining multi-select
* on Girl Management screen, "Fire", Sell", and "Free" buttons now work on multi-selected girls (it properly ignores slaves for "Fire", and ignores non-slaves for "Sell" and "Free")
* Selling or releasing multi-selected girls and/or customers from the Dungeon screen could cause crash

* You're now told how much gold you got when you sell girls directly from the dungeon
Fixed:
* girl working as matron now gets full pay (you get no house perc) and the money is deducted from you; her pay is now 200-400, depending on service skill (200+(service*2))
* jobs which do not gain money externally (from customers, exploring, whatever) now have wages deducted from you; you do still get your house percent back, though

Modified:
* Updated job enjoyment changes, very slight decrease for whoring but major increase for all other jobs (+1/-1 to +3/-3)
* girls exploring the catacombs now list each gained item in turn summary
* girls doing beast care and beast capture gain a bit of bestiality skill
* girls who do the Torturer job can sometimes become Sadistic or even Merciless if they enjoy their job enough
* girls who do the Matron job can sometimes become Charismatic or even Psychic if they enjoy their job enough
* girls exploring the Catacombs or Capturing Beasts can sometimes gain the traits Adventurer, Tough, and Aggressive if they enjoy combat enough
* girls defeated in the Catacombs might end up with one of the 3 types of Scars, or even rarely One Eye or Eye Patch
* bestiality now only has a chance to harm your beasts if the girl has lower than 50 skill in bestiality; it ranges from 50% chance at 0 skill to 1% chance at 49 skill; chance was 25% regardless before
Fixed:
* a bug prevented girls on their free time from buying things from the shop; it's back to functional again
* girl fights can now end in draw if still going after 1000 attacks rather than potentially getting stuck in an infinite loop
Fixed:
* number of customers could go into the negatives due to high filthiness; added a check to set number of customers to 0 if it's in the negative
* girls now properly train in groups of up to 4 girls. The grouping of girls is now randomized, and the turn summary report indicates which girls trained with which. Also, training can no longer give negative gains ("+-1" indeed :P).
* girls who train alone (only possible if you have only 1 girl training) now have 50% chance to gain 1-3 points in a random stat, instead of 10% chance to gain 1 point; also, turn summary output for it is updated
* Matron was still a bit bugged; should work perfectly now. Also, the Matron can put herself back to work (if she took herself off duty due to getting too tired or whatever).

* number of customers lost due to filthiness is now reported in the turn summary for each brothel

The r385 update with the above changes is available here.

Offline LordShame

« Reply #128 on: May 15, 2010, 08:16:45 PM »
Huh. I just tried it again to be sure, and for an empty brothel's first few weeks of complete inactivity, I go from 4000 to 3960 to 3920 to 3880 gold. So's I don't know what's goin' on.  :o

Offline sgb

« Reply #129 on: May 15, 2010, 08:39:38 PM »
Okay, I just tried it 5 more times (quitting out entirely each time) and it's just taking away -40.  I don't get it either, but I'll report if I can get it to take away extra gold again.

EDIT: Okay, I've found the mystery.  A) Gang fees aren't being included in the weekly report and B) sometimes when you quit to main menu and start a new game, it doesn't initialize the gangs and gang item auto-buy settings. You can end up with 'ghost gangs' repeating the last action in the old game with no way to turn them off.  The easiest way to check for this is to start a new game, buy some gangs, turn on potion and net auto-buy, quit, and start a new game.  If the auto-buy is still checked on, it's failed to initialize and you'll lose extra money every turn for the 'fake' gangs.  It also doesn't seem to initialize the two 'boosted gangs' if you buy them, quit to the main menu and start again.

I wouldn't worry to much about this one, as the only reason I even ran into it is because I keep quitting and restarting games to quickly test things.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2010, 08:52:11 PM by sgb »

Offline Dagoth

• Administrator
« Reply #130 on: May 15, 2010, 10:12:29 PM »
EDIT: Okay, I've found the mystery.  A) Gang fees aren't being included in the weekly report and B) sometimes when you quit to main menu and start a new game, it doesn't initialize the gangs and gang item auto-buy settings.
The auto-buy settings for healing potions and nets were indeed not being reset on "new game". However, everything else (including gangs and by extension gang missions) is properly reset, so I don't know what sort of problems you were actually having there.

It also doesn't seem to initialize the two 'boosted gangs' if you buy them, quit to the main menu and start again.
What do you mean? When you start a new game, buy the two boosted gangs, and then quit and start a new game without exiting, the boosted gangs are not showing up? If so, I can't duplicate that.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2010, 10:14:43 PM by Dagoth »

Offline LordShame

« Reply #131 on: May 15, 2010, 11:06:59 PM »
The "Items with a non-zero "How bad is it" stat crash the game 100% of the  time when going directly from the store inventory to a girl's  inventory." bug is back. It was definitely fixed in 372, but it's happening on 385 again.

Offline sgb

« Reply #132 on: May 15, 2010, 11:49:49 PM »
The auto-buy settings for healing potions and nets were indeed not being reset on "new game". However, everything else (including gangs and by extension gang missions) is properly reset, so I don't know what sort of problems you were actually having there.
What do you mean? When you start a new game, buy the two boosted gangs, and then quit and start a new game without exiting, the boosted gangs are not showing up? If so, I can't duplicate that.
Yeah, the boosted gangs wouldn't show up when this bug occured.  It seems to happen rarely actually, it just happened to occur for me when I happened to be watching it closely.  Like I said, unless more people notice this I wouldn't worry about it will only be factor for people who keep starting new games without exiting the program.

Offline Dagoth

• Administrator
« Reply #133 on: May 15, 2010, 11:59:50 PM »
The "Items with a non-zero "How bad is it" stat crash the game 100% of the  time when going directly from the store inventory to a girl's  inventory." bug is back. It was definitely fixed in 372, but it's happening on 385 again.
I can't duplicate this now in r385 (tried with Slave Band, Shackles of the Mundane, Ritual of Domination) and the affected code hasn't been changed since then. Are you sure it's not something else causing the crash?
Also, can you provide a save file in which it seems to consistently happen with a specific girl?

Yeah, the boosted gangs wouldn't show up when this bug occured.  It seems to happen rarely actually, it just happened to occur for me when I happened to be watching it closely.  Like I said, unless more people notice this I wouldn't worry about it will only be factor for people who keep starting new games without exiting the program.
Very strange. Every time you start a new game, it runs the Gangs.Free() routine which first deletes the gangs linked list and recruitable gangs linked list and then sets them to 0, no possibility of failure. The New Game process then later explicitly generates the new recruitable gangs based on the numbers set in the config file; there's nothing which should be able to tamper with those stored config values, so... it's beyond me what could possibly cause that to happen.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2010, 12:01:59 AM by Dagoth »

Offline sgb

« Reply #134 on: May 16, 2010, 12:12:51 AM »
Has something been changed with the calculations in the number of customers that a girl sees?  I've been genuinely stuggling to get started with the current build as girls generally only see 1 or 2 customers a shift now.  I've actually gone broke twice now even with 4-5 girls all working as I simply don't make enough money.  Once you add a cleaner, your reported income WILL go in the negatives.  Using gangs to steal early on is out of the question, as a gang with ~70% in all stats got completely wiped trying a pretty theft.  If this an attempt to increase the difficultly, that's good.  But this is a little overboard at the moment.  Girls need to see at least 3 customers or they aren't even making their housing costs back.

Edit: Seems to be based very heavily on Looks.  A couple random girls who generated with 90+ looks are getting 4-5 customers.  Girls with < 75 are only getting 1-2.  Fetish categories don't seem to impact it much or at all.  While this makes some logical sense, there's no guarentee the player can get enough 'supermodel' girls to stabilize and buy items to buff the rest.  A more fair guideline would be something like:
< 50 looks - 1 customer
50-59 looks - 2 customers
60-75 looks - 3 customers
76-89 looks - 4 customers
90+ looks - 5 customers

And regarding the 'bad for you' crash, I haven't been able to duplicate it with the current build either.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2010, 01:05:14 AM by sgb »