devolution

Author Topic: economic balancing  (Read 5371 times)

Offline Midnight_Amratha

economic balancing
« on: February 01, 2011, 04:38:33 AM »
while skills are trainable to 100% it seems to me that girls without any type of make-up and clothing should not have the ability to reach 100 in beauty or charisma, the two main stats for attracting customers.
hardwired stat maxes to around 80 seems to be working fine with boosters of lipgloss, makeup and pretty dresses that all wear and tear after 3-5 uses with the odd special item that has double the amount and of course cost  a proportionate amount more. that will give the incentive of getting those materials in bulk and of course make sure girls are presented best possible.

while torturing will improve the relationship with the owner it will certainly not have a beneficial effect on their looks (bruises and scratches, burnmarks and so on) which only have a very limited appeal to most customers.

also, breeding your own super stock should mean a drop in customer attraction since not all find having sex with a pregnant woman to be the top of their desires. Perhaps impose a longer term of forced inactivity during last 10 weeks before birth?

most games have a tendency to have a "threshold" after which the rest of the game is a sure winner, the size of the win is merely a manner of how much you pool together. it seems to me, the more fame you have and the more girls you can support, the more the local authorities will bleed you. "pay this and this or we'll bust your business"

The line between lunacy and genious is very thin.
So far i haven't been able to find it.

Offline ShiningRadiance

• I command thee!
Re: economic balancing
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011, 11:23:17 AM »
while skills are trainable to 100% it seems to me that girls without any type of make-up and clothing should not have the ability to reach 100 in beauty or charisma, the two main stats for attracting customers.
hardwired stat maxes to around 80 seems to be working fine with boosters of lipgloss, makeup and pretty dresses that all wear and tear after 3-5 uses with the odd special item that has double the amount and of course cost  a proportionate amount more. that will give the incentive of getting those materials in bulk and of course make sure girls are presented best possible.

Micromanagement is painful.

also, breeding your own super stock should mean a drop in customer attraction since not all find having sex with a pregnant woman to be the top of their desires. Perhaps impose a longer term of forced inactivity during last 10 weeks before birth?

Err. Not all do, but there are plenty of fetishists out there in Crossgate. Just have a drop in the number that find her attractive, not force her out.

most games have a tendency to have a "threshold" after which the rest of the game is a sure winner, the size of the win is merely a manner of how much you pool together. it seems to me, the more fame you have and the more girls you can support, the more the local authorities will bleed you. "pay this and this or we'll bust your business"

All you have to do is bribe a high amount. You'll be raking in far more money through your business than you'll be losing in bribes.
Please treat me well even though I don't deserve it.

Offline LordShame

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011, 09:37:37 PM »
Micromanagement is painful.

To you, maybe.

Offline ShiningRadiance

• I command thee!
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2011, 02:11:55 AM »
To you, maybe.

Well, you may be right. To me.
Please treat me well even though I don't deserve it.

Offline Ctwo

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2011, 03:01:25 AM »
To you, maybe.

For a lot of people, adding too many layers of complexity results in unwarrented frustration. Especially since the implimentation is overly complex.

You could just drop the amount of money made at 100 beauty/charisma and add a straight bonus or a percentage bonus for using each kind of perfume or makeup. It is easier on the math, doesn't screw with the rest of the coding for the game, doesn't screw with existing girls, and it achieves the same results. I honestly don't think this is a good idea, but if there is a simpler method to get the desired results, go simple.

Offline Midnight_Amratha

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2011, 04:25:34 AM »
oh right, i forgot the first programmers rule :)

KISS

the money should not be easily accessible when you hit a certain threshold but then improving your stock should ALSO not be as easy as it is currently.
the problem is most of the unique girls start out being super hot goddesses of sex.  to keep some kind of purpose for getting these girls in the first place you should probably say that they won't be so easily accessible, perhaps make them rare even, both when kidnapping girls and when you go dungeon crawling. perhaps impose some kind of probability in encountering them at all with the generic girls being the majority of your available stock. the main problem as i see it, is the amount of money you gain from customers but on the other hand you will never be able to fulfill the special "quests" if you don't have enough gold on hand to also keep expanding, buy more brothels/get special rooms or get more gangs/train them for safekeeping.   it all comes from having a surplus of superhot girls

Offline Ctwo

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2011, 04:45:15 AM »
I find that gang management skills actually make far more money than girls in the early game. If you get lucky and get a few items or girls with insubstantial you can make more from one girl catacomb crawling than you can from 1 girl whoring. The insubstantial girl doesn't even need decent combat stats. When the catacomb crawler comes back typically you'll have 1 or 2 girls captured per shift. In a fairly short amount of time you can brand those girls and just out right sell them for between 700-1400g each. That means a profit of about 2k per day on sold slaves for each insubstantial girl. Add in items and gold brought back and it far exceeds the 1k per day made by my most tallented girls working inside the brothel (because I don't like having them constantly attacked).

Insubstantial girls don't exactly come along every day but once you have one you can get about the same profit as a whoring girl with a 90-100% constitution girl with around 130+ magic+ combat. The extra bonus is the occasional rare item that can pay 10k+ gold.

Sure, it is easier to make whores but it isn't the only source of long-term income in this game. Honestly, if you reduce the profits from whoring then players will discover the other methods for bringing in cash. In a game called Whoremaster, shouldn't it be easier to make money whoring?

Offline Midnight_Amratha

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2011, 06:12:28 PM »
the price for selling girls should probably also get a thorough looking into, as you point out yourself, why call it whoremaster if you can make a profit selling girls, perhaps the right name is Whore emporium. We deliver services and girls for any and all of your desires and needs.

what i miss with the game "as is" is the ability to boost the income from girls via other sidebusinesses like gambling and so on.

there has to be a benefit to having roulettes and fighting booths and combatcages and torture rooms and sybarithic luxury castle rooms (romanesque orgies).