Author Topic: LS' Item pack  (Read 41395 times)

Offline LordShame

LS' Item pack
« on: November 13, 2009, 09:15:22 PM »
Important notice!
This pack is currently the default pack, and the links below are more or less obsolete. The latest version can be found at http://www.mediafire.com/?qmgtriwjn2n, but depending on when you view this post, you may not actually need it.

Now returning to our regularly scheduled programming...

---

Alright so, I made an expanded item pack, and I figured I'd share it since it was kind of a lot of work. Heh.

Here it is:
Version 3.0: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=WC27K4C4
Use the LSitemsDesc.itemsx file if you like the items' stats to be described in-game. Use LSitems.itemsx instead if you don't.

Old versions: (you don't need these, it's just for, say, historical purposes)
Version 2.1: http://www.mediafire.com/?hjmzyyzeu4j
First release: http://www.mediafire.com/?mznyg0m2kic

My main goal was to rebalance and replace all the default items, as well as expand on them so there is more variety. Almost everything has a new name and description. The only things I didn't change much were the drugs and the slave bands, and I only altered them to make them more expensive. You can keep the original items around if you want, the filename is different, but there will be a lot of redundancy.

Main changes:
-Items are generally more expensive. It's difficult to balance this, but it's very easy to make money right now, now to mention the game is kind of easy in general. I did make an effort to put in a wide variety of price points, however. Mostly I wanted to make sure you couldn't outfit a dozen girls in the best stuff by week 2.
-Many items have a letter grade in their description so you can compare them. Most have A to D, but there are S-grade uber items with extra bonuses only found in catacombs, and E-grade joke items that are cheap and crappy but sometimes have unique effects.
-Clothes are where I've expanded the most. There are three main types:
    -Gowns are "light side" clothing. They mainly increase charisma, happiness and player love, but also slightly increase confidence.
    -Dresses are seductive "neutral" clothes. They mainly increase charisma and libido but aren't as cost-effective as the gowns.
    -Lingerie is the "dark side" clothing that you only wear in public to tell the world you have sex for money. It slightly increases charisma but also increases the sex skills. It's meant for girls who have high stats already but could use better skills.
-There are all new shoes and jewelry but they're a little basic yet. They mostly serve to boost charisma but are usually much more expensive than equivalent clothes.
-Healing and relaxation come in 25/50/100 point varieties. The better ones are rarer but more cost-effective.
-There are various items to cure wound-type traits, including scars and missing eyes.
-The abortion items have a 6/7 chance of having a side-effect of varying gravity, from a tiny tiredness increase to permanent addition of the Fragile trait. (However, there is an item that only cures insemination, and it never has side effects.) I wanted to make pregnancy a bigger deal.
-I've put in a few semi-common items to reduce rebellion and add rebellion-suppressing traits. They're expensive but still overpowered and I'll probably take them out once that issue is sorted out.
-Weapons increase combat skills. They also provide a slight confidence boost, and reduce player hate and fear to compensate. (Giving a weapon to a girl is a sign of trust, after all.) There are luxury versions of the weapons that are more expensive but slightly increase charisma.
-Gift-type consumables increase happiness temporarily and may have other effects. Makeup increases beauty temporarily.
-I've got plans for armor and various magic jewelry but it isn't in yet, since my goal was to first expand what the default items already do. I'll certainly put them in later.
-There are no misc items since I'm not 100% clear on their working status right now.

Alright, I think that's about it. Feel free to suggest, criticize, and point out all the obvious mistakes I made.  ;)
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 10:49:19 PM by LordShame »

Offline letmein

Re: LS' Item pack
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2009, 09:40:08 PM »
Looks pretty awesome...   just finished skimming through with the editor, haven't actually used it yet, but I love the concepts so far.

You may wish to add a magic-lowering item, like sgb did.  The reason for that is because powerful mages can't get pregnant.
Still lurking.

Offline delta224

• Dev Team
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2009, 11:15:39 PM »
Forgot to mention, I removed that limitation in the recent patch.  So don't worry about the magic lowering item.   

Offline sgb

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2009, 01:50:29 AM »
Some nice work, I've cut and paste a number of things I liked about yours into mine.  I was actually thinking of adding a PC love bonus to most gifts as well, as it makes all kinds of sense.  I think you've got too many weak catacomb items though.  If I'm going to risk losing half my men, I kind of expect something better than what I could get in shops.  It's a mistake not in include item effects in the description though.  I'm simply not going to use an item if I don't know what the cost/benefit impact is upfront.

Good to hear the silly magic/pregnancy thing got fixed.  I'll remove it from my items file.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2009, 02:06:35 AM by sgb »

Offline letmein

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2009, 02:12:39 AM »
Actually, in the latest version of the game, I have yet to lose a single gang member from the catacombs.  Of course, I never send them in until they're 100% across the board, with tons of potions and full weaponry, but still...   the only time I lose any is when a girl manages to kill all of my guards at once escaping from the dungeon.  Bad mojo...

As for your point about item effects, well, I don't really mind.  I can see an argument for both sides:  some people prefer not knowing explicitly, to make the game more interesting (especially for the rare items whose effects you haven't memorized), while others buy or use items only as they need them.  Me, I generally don't bother with items much at all, except for a couple "special" girls (I tend to have a favorite or two in every game, not sure why...) - so I don't care especially much about knowing the exact gains.  So long as I know the general idea of what an item does, I'm happy enough.

EDIT:  and why doesn't anyone seem to want to use armbands for anything?  I mean, at least toss in a couple bracelets, or something...
« Last Edit: November 14, 2009, 02:14:28 AM by letmein »
Still lurking.

Offline sgb

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2009, 01:24:47 PM »
If you're waiting until your gangs are 100% with level 4 weapons, the game is already over IMO.  At this point, you will be making thousands per day and can more or less do whatever you want and still win.  There's no need for catacomb items at this point, as you can fully outfit any girl you want without putting a dent in your reserves.  Thus if I know there's a chance my early catacomb adventures will result in a item that is marginally better than a normal dress, I'm just going to wait for the 100% level 4 weapon stage before I bother.

There were some armbands in his pack if I recall.  Nobody uses them because it's redundent (same reason I removed many of Necro's items from my item pack).  A good dress, shoes and a few makeup kits will bring just about any fresh girl to 100% looks.  The problem is that the game uses custom content, and nobody is going to make an ugly girl.  I don't think there are any girls from any pack whose starting looks are under 50%.  Random girls with under this are just quickly sold off by most people, as it isn't worth the investment.  This is a problem I'm not sure can be solved.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2009, 01:26:19 PM by sgb »

Offline DocClox

• Dev Team
  • Messing Around With Python
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2009, 04:27:09 PM »
If you're waiting until your gangs are 100% with level 4 weapons, the game is already over IMO. 

So, arguably, it shouldn't be possible to do that. Well, not be possible to withhold most of your gangs until they're fully trained and equipped. It should probably be possible (if not necessarily easy) to go the entire game without setting foot in the catacombs. How to do it, is the question...

One thing would be to make weapons cost more. It's a balancing issue, of course. 

The problem is that the game uses custom content, and nobody is going to make an ugly girl.  I don't think there are any girls from any pack whose starting looks are under 50%.  Random girls with under this are just quickly sold off by most people, as it isn't worth the investment.  This is a problem I'm not sure can be solved.

Well, I'm planning on adding a user controlled looks multiplier to the config screen, which will allow the player to dial down the starting looks from all girls.  So that'll help for that specific issue.  You're right though, in that there's a definite tension between user defined content and play balance.

Offline letmein

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2009, 05:30:16 PM »
I agree, Doc.  Weapons, at least, should be more costly - health potions should also probably be dialed down in effect.

As for the looks config, I don't mind having a few exceptionally good-looking girls around to start.  However, they should be quite rare (and expensive, if they're slaves).

Anywho, let's not hijack this thread too much, guys.  Thanks again to LS, by the way:  excellent job you've done here.
Still lurking.

exodia91

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2009, 06:24:05 PM »
However, asking girl makers to make gorgeous anime girls that they like ugly is... well thats not gonna happen. I try to alleviate this by giving them a good beauty stat, but lower starting charisma, so most don't at least start at 100%.... however its gotten mixed results, and most of my girls still start off with high looks. I might tweak my girls a bit eventually. Another solution would be to make custom girls rarer, and to adjust the prices of slavemarket so high look girls are considerably more expensive. I think the take a walk bit needs to be considerably reworked, cause right now its pretty much just free high grade custom girls every turn.

Offline LordShame

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2009, 07:14:17 PM »
I think you've got too many weak catacomb items though.  If I'm going to risk losing half my men, I kind of expect something better than what I could get in shops.

Well, the way I like to imagine the catacombs, is that it's a bizarre chaotic place that randomly connects to strange places, and that you're just as likely to bring back mighty artifacts as you are to bring back weird junk. And even then, the only outright garbage item is the Shroud Cola. Everything else is either just plain better than similar stuff you can buy, or does unique stuff, so I'm not sure what you mean by weak items. My guess is that you're talking about the books, but to me, free skill training that doesn't take up an equipment slot is kind of a big deal.

I agree that there should be more powerful items though, and I do intend to put in more rare and precious stuff in future versions, especially various magical rings and necklaces and armbands.

It's a mistake not in include item effects in the description though.  I'm simply not going to use an item if I don't know what the cost/benefit impact is upfront.

Yeah, I actually debated putting it in or not. In the end I decided against it, because seeing all the stats and numbers right there, it kind of puts me out of the game a bit. As long as I can tell if X is better than Y, which is what the letter grade is for, I'm satisfied. That said, in the future I'll probably make a separate .items file with the stats described because I completely see where you're coming from.

There was also the fact that when I started, there wasn't a lot of room for text, and I'd have had to cut the description to make room for the stats, especially for the rare stuff with lots of effects. But now that the screen can scale up it's not such a problem anymore.

Actually, in the latest version of the game, I have yet to lose a single gang member from the catacombs.
However, asking girl makers to make gorgeous anime girls that they like ugly is... well thats not gonna happen. I try to alleviate this by giving them a good beauty stat, but lower starting charisma, so most don't at least start at 100%.... however its gotten mixed results, and most of my girls still start off with high looks.

Heh, I know it can't be easy giving low stats to hot chicks. I think one of the main issues here is, well... You have to work with a system where, say, Cecile Croomy has 70 beauty and 40 charisma, and Morrigan Aensland has 100 beauty and 100 charisma (which I find completely reasonable, given that she's an ancient seduction machine from hell), and they both have 100% looks. That's gotta be a challenge.

Another solution would be to make custom girls rarer, and to adjust the prices of slavemarket so high look girls are considerably more expensive. I think the take a walk bit needs to be considerably reworked, cause right now its pretty much just free high grade custom girls every turn.

Yeah, that's sensible.

Thanks again to LS, by the way:  excellent job you've done here.

Yay! Woo! Score!  ;D

Offline letmein

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2009, 07:26:43 PM »
"Score", indeed.  Now stop posting, and go mod.  exodia, you too.  Think of yourselves as contributers to the greater game (which you certainly are), and leave the commenting and constructive criticizing to me.  ;)
Still lurking.

Offline Fstop

• I <3 Deadpool
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2009, 06:46:43 PM »
I personally love the description you have for all the items you my good sir are a great writer
Deadpool: Shhh. My Common sense is tingling
Common sense so rare it's a god damn super power!

Offline zodiac44

• Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2009, 07:35:37 PM »
I think I'm going to have to borrow the Amulet of the Cunning Linguist for a D&D game I'm running  >;o)
Capitalization is the difference between "I had to help my uncle Jack off a horse" and "I had to help my uncle jack off a horse."

Offline LordShame

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2009, 12:33:53 AM »
Alright, update time!

http://www.mediafire.com/?hjmzyyzeu4j

New in 2.0:
-There is now a separate file with all item effects added to descriptions! Use LSitemsDesc.items if you want that. (You shouldn't use both files, though I guess it's not a big deal if you do.)
-Armors added, at least one for each letter grade. They basically increase constitution and combat skill, at the cost of charisma and agility. (There is an effect on confidence, hate and fear, but less pronounced than with the weapons.)
-The skill gain from lingerie is increased.
-Perfume and make-up are slightly more effective.
-There are a couple of new armbands.
-New whip-type weapons increase BDSM skill.
-Probably some minor stuff that I forgot about.

Still in the pipeline:
-More magical jewelry with various effects.
-More specialized variants on items, like the Mistress Boots and Brothel Gown.
-???

Alright then. I'm still open to comments and such. And I appreciate the kudos, it means a lot!

EDIT:
Version 2.1 fixes a problem with the Bracers of Toughness being miscategorized as armor.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 01:55:16 AM by LordShame »

Offline letmein

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2009, 01:56:48 AM »
Looks great.  Hopefully, someday the Catacombs will work properly and all the neat toys you've planted there will actually start to show up...   ;)
Still lurking.