Author Topic: Game Design/Ideas  (Read 123586 times)

Offline CherryWood

Re: -PyTFall- Dev Thread: Game Design/Ideas
« Reply #60 on: May 30, 2013, 04:49:39 AM »
I'll try to find portraits and battle sprites for MC this evening.

I created some portraits for girls, but I was not sure what they should look like so I just pick some random proportion for first one and created all other to be alike. Depends on where we want to use them, it may not be a good size.
I didn't normalize battle sprites in any way yet.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
  • "It's like hunting cows"
« Reply #61 on: May 30, 2013, 04:54:59 AM »
As long as they're not to large or to small. Game will take care of resizing.
Like what we're doing?

Offline CherryWood

« Reply #62 on: May 30, 2013, 05:14:10 AM »
As long as they're not to large or to small. Game will take care of resizing.
Sorry, I didn't know how to simply name it in english. For portraits it's a decision how closeup they're are (how much of face and body is shown) and for novel and battle spites it's about creating of empty space above the head of "standart" girl so she will have same proportions as a girl with same body height, but with a big hat/stand-up hairstyle or long spear/staff after resizing.
But maybe there is a clever function I didn't know about...
« Last Edit: May 30, 2013, 05:17:29 AM by CherryWood »

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #63 on: May 30, 2013, 07:08:18 AM »
Sorry, I didn't know how to simply name it in english. For portraits it's a decision how closeup they're are (how much of face and body is shown) and for novel and battle spites it's about creating of empty space above the head of "standart" girl so she will have same proportions as a girl with same body height, but with a big hat/stand-up hairstyle or long spear/staff after resizing.
But maybe there is a clever function I didn't know about...

Just a head and a little bit of neck maybe. Your Sakura portrait was pretty good. Just do whatever you think will look best in the game. Portraits will be used in Arena lineups as well as screen design. + They can have backgrounds btw. I don't think that's gonna be a problem unless we wish portraits to appear in the dialogue window during conversations as well.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2013, 07:11:46 AM by Xela »
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #64 on: May 30, 2013, 08:18:11 AM »
I wonder if we should use as MCs random generic characters, or known male characters from the same shows we used for girls (because any pics for them can be found without any problems at all).
« Last Edit: May 30, 2013, 08:22:13 AM by DarkTl »

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #65 on: May 30, 2013, 08:50:12 AM »
I wonder if we should use as MCs random generic characters, or known male characters from the same shows we used for girls (because any pics for them can be found without any problems at all).

Nah, we just need one battle sprite and maybe a couple of portraits(one can prolly be cut from the battle sprite). I don't think we need more than that... and not to many choices or I will have to do XML imports for them as well...

PS: Maybe types based on previous occupation? Like cutthroat, knight, mage, merchant... that type of thing.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #66 on: May 30, 2013, 01:59:34 PM »
You can't imagine how much easier to find a decent female or even completely non-human MC than male one  :D

I've found several characters that could be used for different occupations, they are in MC shared folder. How many do you need?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #67 on: May 30, 2013, 02:17:18 PM »
You can't imagine how much easier to find a decent female or even completely non-human MC than male one  :D

I've found several characters that could be used for different occupations, they are in MC shared folder. How many do you need?

3? 5? 6? Not more than that, not for the first release.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #68 on: May 30, 2013, 02:50:48 PM »
Done then. 6 battle sprites and 6 portraits for them.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #69 on: May 30, 2013, 03:12:10 PM »
Done then. 6 battle sprites and 6 portraits for them.

Thanks! I'll check it out when I get the chance, I am tired as hell but still trying to code us new upgrades system :)
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #70 on: June 08, 2013, 04:42:08 PM »
I have found another python game recently, Spirited Heart. It has several rather original stats and jobs, but what I liked most is MC creation system. We really could use some ideas from it.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2013, 04:43:52 PM by DarkTl »

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #71 on: June 09, 2013, 03:03:34 AM »
I have found another python game recently, Spirited Heart. It has several rather original stats and jobs, but what I liked most is MC creation system. We really could use some ideas from it.

Took a look at it, it's based around the idea that characters come from very different backgrounds and requires a good amount of text but on the other hand, not difficult to code in.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #72 on: June 09, 2013, 10:56:50 AM »
Not just that, but random events with multiple outcomes during MC childhood as well.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #73 on: June 09, 2013, 11:44:47 AM »
Not just that, but random events with multiple outcomes during MC childhood as well.

Yeap, well, we'll figure it out when we write concept for MC. I prefer simpler approach cause it makes little sense to write childhood stories unless we're planning to use those in game.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #74 on: June 09, 2013, 11:54:02 AM »
It shouldn't be exactly childhood, you know. Just events in the past of MC, perhaps even in the recent past. It opens a good possibility to create more or less unique MC without things like traits or races.