Author Topic: Item Balance  (Read 2668 times)

Offline Ravensdark

Item Balance
« on: June 06, 2011, 02:54:00 AM »
I took a long break from this game and decided to take a look at it again.  I never did finish my whole re-balance thing mainly out of frustration.

One thing that would probably be pretty easy to implement that would give the game a big potential shot in the arm sort of thing, would be to make an option in the item editor to make it so an item can not be found in the catacombs. 

When you start finding the super expensive game breaking items in the catacombs it makes it so the game looses a lot of the fun.  Kind of like cheating.  I would like to make it so some of the available uber items can only be bought in the store for exorbitant prices.  An example would be anything that adds the trait incorporeal.

I would like to also be able to have an item be unremoveable with maybe an extra step to make it so you do not accidentally equip items that you can not remove.  Kind of give the item a cursed attribute.

Both of these options should not be all that difficult to implement.  Unfortunately I have no real modern programing knowledge so I can not do these things myself.

Of course I would like to also have an option to give a rarity point for items being found in the catacombs.  Maybe have a slider or a value out of 10k or so with common being 20-50 and uncommon being 5-6 and rare being 1-2. 

Good luck and have fun.

Offline sgb

Re: Item Balance
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2011, 07:38:48 PM »
Item balance is something I discussed with another modder before, and we both came to the conclusion that it is utterly pointless to try and balance the items when the core difficulty is so low.  I've toyed with making some items really costly, but all that did was make me ignore them.  You don't need items to get gamebreaking income levels, so why bother with them unless they're really cost effective?  The best you can do is design your own item balance to suit your need and not worry about it.  It is impossible to lose a game of WM in its current state, so just customize your item list for personal preference.

Having an additional tier of catacomb rarity would be nice though.