Author Topic: Alpha: Discussion thread ==>  (Read 105324 times)

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
  • "It's like hunting cows"
Re: Alpha: Discussion thread ==>
« Reply #150 on: October 10, 2015, 01:54:29 AM »
Hi.

There are too many unfinished systems and content that is plainly not setup for testing yet. You can test some gui elements and a couple of features like new items screens but that is about it.

Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #151 on: October 10, 2015, 05:06:57 AM »
@DarkTI: your Naruto pack was removed from MEGA, can you reupload it?
My bad, I forgot to update links in the thread, they should work now. The chances of them being removed by Mega staff are slim thanks to password protected archives with meaningless, numeric names, so it's usually my fault when something is not available  :D

Offline Alex250

« Reply #152 on: October 10, 2015, 06:07:45 PM »
If there are so many unfinished systems, maybe I could help? I am a good programmer, but I haven't really coded in Python. I have looked through the Issues listed on GitHub but couldn't figure out which ones were already being worked on and which ones A newbie could start on.

Would you accept my help? What could I work on that is not too Advanced and isn't too large?

I already have made changes on my local version to the .gitignore, to track the chars/ and rchars/ folders but ignore their content. I needed to add a line to the function loading RandomGirls to make it ingore non-folder in the rchar/ directory. If you allow me, I could push it to the main branch.

@DarkTI: The datafiles link for your Naruto pack is also broken. I can always make new ones with the stats from Alpha but I'd like to have the same stats as you all.

Also I didn't find a "Luck" stats for CW's ninjas int the alpha files so I used the value of Boa (20). Is it balanced? I haven't played yet but in the alpha Luck didn't seem to do anything.
French -> please tell me when I make writing mistakes.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #153 on: October 10, 2015, 06:39:01 PM »
Feel free to help out, I don't really know what to suggest atm, most of the code is fairly complicated and you need to know well how it works.

PM me your nickname on GitHub is you want to be added to collaborators.
Like what we're doing?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #154 on: October 10, 2015, 08:07:15 PM »
I already have made changes on my local version to the .gitignore, to track the chars/ and rchars/ folders but ignore their content. I needed to add a line to the function loading RandomGirls to make it ingore non-folder in the rchar/ directory. If you allow me, I could push it to the main branch.

I don't get what you mean by this btw, everyone may have different setups for chars and especially rchars (Dark just throws them into rchars folder and I use generalization folders based on race/type). It may mess things up.

Not mentioning that local data.json files may differ from one another for testing purposes and syncing may not be desirable at all...

I haven't played yet but in the alpha Luck didn't seem to do anything.

I thought it meant quite a bit at several places.
Like what we're doing?

Offline Alex250

« Reply #155 on: October 10, 2015, 09:03:40 PM »
In the Alpha I had minmaxed a character with over 40 Luck from the start but never noticed any difference with a regular character. Either it has no effect, or it was too subtle.

About the .gitignore thing: adding .gitignore files in character folders allows you to select what you want the tracking to ignore. In my case, I ignore everything in the folder except the .gitignore itself, a fresh clone of the project would have chars/ and rchars/ folders without any characters in them. It would also allow you to track only certain characters/packs. This would be useful to make sure everyone has the characters you use in your quests.
French -> please tell me when I make writing mistakes.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #156 on: October 11, 2015, 04:44:44 AM »
In the Alpha I had minmaxed a character with over 40 Luck from the start but never noticed any difference with a regular character. Either it has no effect, or it was too subtle.

It would be hard to gauge, there were decent advantages but there obviously isn't anything game-breaking/changing bound to luck.

About the .gitignore thing: adding .gitignore files in character folders allows you to select what you want the tracking to ignore. In my case, I ignore everything in the folder except the .gitignore itself, a fresh clone of the project would have chars/ and rchars/ folders without any characters in them. It would also allow you to track only certain characters/packs. This would be useful to make sure everyone has the characters you use in your quests.

Still sounds a bit chaotic or maybe I still don't understand the setup. Dark for example has loads of content with Naruto girls involved, I use them for testing often overwriting many fields that may be crucial to it. We have already discussed this in the past and decided against keeping track of characters using version control, instead Dropbox/Mega is used. Main question here is: "Are those extra gitignore files in chars folders private?" If they are not, we'll still all be stuck with the same data files.

One alternative solution that was suggested to us was using a separate repo for chars/rchars folder. We still decided to go with Mega/DB setup, prolly cause we're used to it.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #157 on: October 11, 2015, 10:00:12 AM »
I thought recently about creating a repo for packs. But I figured that a huge repo almost without text files and with thousands of binary files (aka pictures) will draw too much attention, and will be closed by repo staff as soon as they see tons of h-content. And using password protected archives in repo kills the whole purpose of using a repo.

@DarkTI: The datafiles link for your Naruto pack is also broken. I can always make new ones with the stats from Alpha but I'd like to have the same stats as you all.
Ok, I fixed links for them too. It won't help much though, they are quite outdated (but still sufficient for testing), I'm waiting for conformation from Xela that data files won't have any more fields before updating all jsons.

Offline lothran

« Reply #158 on: October 14, 2015, 02:04:23 PM »
I have played up to brothel 4 or 5 four times now and have always found the progress to be deadly slow.  Is there a file I can tweak to increase profits a bit or reduce costs?  I know that going bankrupt was designed in and have come very close a couple of times, but I want to reach top levels in a couple of weeks instead of a few months.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #159 on: October 14, 2015, 02:24:18 PM »
I don't believe that there are centralized variables for those things even in the dev version. It's prolly simpler to give yourself a lot of cash, find script.rpy file, there should be:

Code: [Select]
label after_load:
    # Some code

at the end of it, add:

Code: [Select]
label after_load:
    $ hero.gold = 1000000

to it and load one of your saves. Make sure to delete that or it will be annoying having your gold reset all the time, that will mess up your finances as well (a bit). You can use hero.add_money(100000, "Cheating") if you want finances to remain intact.
Like what we're doing?

Offline krakr

« Reply #160 on: November 10, 2015, 01:16:31 AM »
Hi folks, thanks for all the hard work. Nice to see a more graphical representation of the whole Whoremaster game

I just DL'd the Alpha 0.45 & been playing a few hours now.  I got a few game breaking bugs early on till I figured a workarund.

They all looked like this:

I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
  File "game/library/screens/pyt - screens - nextday.rpy", line 15, in script
  File "game/library/screens/pyt - screens - nextday.rpy", line 119, in python
  File "game/library/classes - support.rpy", line 117, in python
  File "game/library/classes - characters.rpy", line 1403, in python
  File "game/library/classes - characters.rpy", line 799, in python
  File "game/library/classes - characters.rpy", line 585, in python
  File "game/library/classes - characters.rpy", line 212, in python
AttributeError: 'disposition' is neither a gamestat nor an attribute of Player

I got others too, they were all whore attributes "joy" & such. Workaround I figured out was to take off all my gear before hitting "next day" that seemed to fix it, I didn't mod any of the gear either.

Got a few observations:

-got my guard's ass kicked for the 2nd time cuz guard duty gives 8 or 9 xp & she's still Lv1 & guard school isn't much better.
-good gear makes no difference to a maxed out stat. I think combat gear should be exempt OR the MAX stat should add to the stat as I thought it would.
-Witch trainer works great for mgc & intel, but Arena trainer works like crap on Con

Those are my biggest whines atm. I know you can create a player team, but shit I just got the game & am on first play-thru at Lv4 for MC, tough enough to get through the golblns, only managed it 3 times so far.
Thanks again.

[edit] Oh pet peeve of mine is stat bonuses from clothes/items being in the end of day summary. Makes it nearly irrelevant
« Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 02:09:31 AM by krakr »

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #161 on: November 10, 2015, 07:36:00 AM »
I just DL'd the Alpha 0.45 & been playing a few hours now.  I got a few game breaking bugs early on till I figured a workarund.

All bugs should have been fixed so you are prolly playing an unpatched version.

They all looked like this:

I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
  File "game/library/screens/pyt - screens - nextday.rpy", line 15, in script
  File "game/library/screens/pyt - screens - nextday.rpy", line 119, in python
  File "game/library/classes - support.rpy", line 117, in python
  File "game/library/classes - characters.rpy", line 1403, in python
  File "game/library/classes - characters.rpy", line 799, in python
  File "game/library/classes - characters.rpy", line 585, in python
  File "game/library/classes - characters.rpy", line 212, in python
AttributeError: 'disposition' is neither a gamestat nor an attribute of Player

I got others too, they were all whore attributes "joy" & such. Workaround I figured out was to take off all my gear before hitting "next day" that seemed to fix it, I didn't mod any of the gear either.

It's a weird error...

Got a few observations:

-got my guard's ass kicked for the 2nd time cuz guard duty gives 8 or 9 xp & she's still Lv1 & guard school isn't much better.
-good gear makes no difference to a maxed out stat. I think combat gear should be exempt OR the MAX stat should add to the stat as I thought it would.
-Witch trainer works great for mgc & intel, but Arena trainer works like crap on Con

Gear is working fine, you just need a lot higher levels to use it properly. Con is really hard to increase...

Those are my biggest whines atm. I know you can create a player team, but shit I just got the game & am on first play-thru at Lv4 for MC, tough enough to get through the golblns, only managed it 3 times so far.
Thanks again.

Game was created to be difficult...

[edit] Oh pet peeve of mine is stat bonuses from clothes/items being in the end of day summary. Makes it nearly irrelevant

I don't remember if that was fixed with patches or not, I'll take a look at it before we release next.
Like what we're doing?

Offline krakr

« Reply #162 on: November 10, 2015, 06:31:55 PM »
^Thanks for the prompt response.

I just DL'd the available one, didn't know there was a patch. I'll search for it.
Oh the error seems to be linked to dissappearing items in my inventory.
They're still there, just ....gone.
If I unequip a similar item from a girl into my inv. they pop back up for a while. really odd

If you're reffering to this:

New patch:Patch- Girls can be equipped from MC inventory- Number of bugfixes and improvements- Constitution has a much higher chance of increasing during the training with Xeona- WM Crazy packs have a much better support now (close to perfect I think)- Loads of code improved (No notable effects on the game)======================This will break saves! Without a chance to fix them other than reverting to the old patch!I will not update the front post with this for this reason.

The mega link is broken :(
I just assumed you had swapped out the original link with the patched link in the Original DL post.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 06:45:41 PM by krakr »

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #163 on: November 11, 2015, 05:50:03 AM »
I just assumed you had swapped out the original link with the patched link in the Original DL post.

I have... at least that was the plan.
Like what we're doing?

Offline krakr

« Reply #164 on: November 11, 2015, 08:49:35 AM »
hmmmmm without a release candidate stamp, I can't tell if it's patched or not, but based on the changelog for the patch, I would say no.

Anyway you could re-post a link please?

Once again, I'd like to thank you for your hard work.
For an Alpha, it's a very good release.

I'll avoid any critiques until I get it properly patched & start a fresh game.