Author Topic: Alpha: Discussion thread ==>  (Read 107330 times)

Offline Thought Crime

Re: Alpha: Discussion thread ==>
« Reply #90 on: April 10, 2014, 02:46:13 PM »
That's a version from 8 or 9 month ago? I mean where did you get the link for it???

from the PytFall alpha relase page. 1st post has a link to a torrent that says
Torrent: (Someone has set this up for us, maybe it will work out...)

under the torrent link are the links to mega. (which i'm DLing now)
~*Build a man a fire, and he stays warm for the night. Set a man on fire, and he stays warm for the rest of his life.*~
       -T. Prachett

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
  • "It's like hunting cows"
« Reply #91 on: April 10, 2014, 03:09:38 PM »
from the PytFall alpha relase page. 1st post has a link to a torrent that says
Torrent: (Someone has set this up for us, maybe it will work out...)

under the torrent link are the links to mega. (which i'm DLing now)

Even the folder name does not match... The zip-file is called PyTFall-0.45-Alpha.zip.

Are you saying that you've renamed it after extraction, put it on an ancient Ren'Py version and tried to run it that way? I'll try to unzip the torrent version and take a look inside, I am not the one who set it up but I did test it once before.

Edit:

Nah, just tested it, torrent download is not capable of generating that error. You may have tested an old version last year, forgot about that file on your harddrive and mistaken it for the new torrent download.

btw: How do you run the game? Maybe you have an old .exe linked to a shortcut somewhere??? Anyway, tell us how this works out :)
« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 03:22:43 PM by Xela »
Like what we're doing?

Offline Thought Crime

« Reply #92 on: April 10, 2014, 03:37:21 PM »
Even the folder name does not match... The zip-file is called PyTFall-0.45-Alpha.zip.

Are you saying that you've renamed it after extraction, put it on an ancient Ren'Py version and tried to run it that way? I'll try to unzip the torrent version and take a look inside, I am not the one who set it up but I did test it once before.

Edit:

Nah, just tested it, torrent download is not capable of generating that error. You may have tested an old version last year, forgot about that file on your harddrive and mistaken it for the new torrent download.

btw: How do you run the game? Maybe you have an old .exe linked to a shortcut somewhere??? Anyway, tell us how this works out :)

AFAIK this is the first time i have downloaded your version. the torrent link does say PyTFall-0.45-Alpha.zip.
I'm speculating now(since i just deleted the torrent) the torrent might have had both a .45-alpha folder and a zip of .2-alpha. since i had both a folder and a zip after my torrent download. i didn't read or run the folder. i just unzipped the the zip. which may have overwrote the .45 with a .2 version (if the folder was .45).

sorry i'm not being very helpful. i'll give the megadownloads a try and see if this solves my problem. maybe i'm just an idiot, lol. i'll post later if i get the game up and running.
~*Build a man a fire, and he stays warm for the night. Set a man on fire, and he stays warm for the rest of his life.*~
       -T. Prachett

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #93 on: April 11, 2014, 03:40:25 AM »
i'll give the megadownloads a try and see if this solves my problem. maybe i'm just an idiot, lol. i'll post later if i get the game up and running.

Good luck! I have no explanation for this, maybe something unexpected came from the author of the torrent... it's one of the strangest errors I've seen.
Like what we're doing?

Offline Thought Crime

« Reply #94 on: April 11, 2014, 10:08:09 PM »
Good luck! I have no explanation for this, maybe something unexpected came from the author of the torrent... it's one of the strangest errors I've seen.

Yeah, i'm just an idiot. lol. both torrent and mega work fine. Turns out that i must have downloaded the .2 build 8+ months ago and forgot that the old version was floating around on my computer. i just unzipped the .2 and it overwrote the .45.

I'm embarrassed by my own stupidity. sorry for bothering you guys about something so trivial.

The game is great so far!! nice work! I'm gonna spend a little more time playing before i offer up some thoughts, and suggestions. Since this is still alpha, more content is most likely already being developed.

I apologize if this has already been addressed and i know it's still early in design but, is there a plan to release an editor for the community to make their own content? You guys left the game wide open for all sorts of additions. more locations, girls, story, items, arena and battles.

gonna spend some time reading through the forums before making more posts.

again nice work! and thanks for making the game!
       -T. Prachett

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #95 on: April 12, 2014, 01:43:07 PM »
I apologize if this has already been addressed and i know it's still early in design but, is there a plan to release an editor for the community to make their own content? You guys left the game wide open for all sorts of additions. more locations, girls, story, items, arena and battles.

Not before we release the final version.

I personally prefer messing with text files so I never understood the need for editors for stuff like traits and items... There are two taggers for images already by the way :)
Like what we're doing?

Offline Thought Crime

« Reply #96 on: April 13, 2014, 04:13:10 AM »
played for a little bit. leveled MC to 7. bought 2 brothels and have 3 girls. not far yet. plan to play for a little more and then will change settings to try out a late game example.
so far a bug and a few suggestions.

bug? - using Nico at around lvl 2-3,  misc. item manual of sex when equipped does not increase pro stats. but when unequiped and left in girls inventory, will increase her pro stats and manual of sex item can not be re-equiped.

UI
Clicking the 'girls' button takes you to the filter screen it would be nice to show each of the girls current fatigue/health on this screen. instead of clicking each individual girl to check fatigue levels. unless the intended game design is to just let the girls run until they autorest. for people like myself who tend to micromanage, this would save me a few mouse clicks.

-also, probably don't need to show the girls AP on the filter screen.
-also missing from the filters list under category 'current job:' is the 'rest' option.

a fast button for potions would be nice too. i try to keep a stock of healing potions for my MC so i can skip resting and just go back to grinding arena. it'd be cool to click 'H' at the top of the screen, go to hero page and maybe have another slot under the equiped weapon slot that lists a current potion. just click on current potion box and voila! gain 50 health! no need to use the equipment button and cycle through to the consumable filter for something i will be doing frequently.

same with girls and serenity potions to decrease fatigue. WM had an option to buy anti-pregnancy potions in bulk that stayed in a brothels inventory. the girls would auto use them as needed. possible idea for late game and when players have enough gold, might have an option to mass purchase serenity potions from the brothel screen and have girls auto use once their fatigue reaches a certain %.

Arena
-dogfights would be nice to have some indicator that the fighters are within the players lvl. instead of just randomly clicking every fighter and getting a message that says  "you are a waste of time come back later."
I'm not sure how the game checks the MC for being a potential match. if it's based on reputation lvl, then could the game show the dogfighter's reputation lvl on their profiles? instead of just clicking on everyone's portrait and hoping for a correct match?
-magic needs rebalancing. unless intelligence is playing a factor (which would make sense, my MC only has 11 int) feels like the best option is just to equip a sword and a small weapon to increase attack stat. equiping a magic staff/club with a magic rod small weapon doesn't seem to match the dmg done with a sword. if having high int icrease damage done with magic spells then what increases attack dmg? constitution?

another suggestion about arenas. currently survival and dogfight gives both gold and reputation. maybe:
  survival fights give gold and little to no reputation and dog fights could build reputation and give little to no gold.
the way it is now, there is no need to ever do dogfights. but just grind survival.
- after a victory, it's hard to see the message that scrolls over the MC portrait that tells how much exp and gold was gained. maybe make the text darker or not scroll over the portrait?

i like that there is some obvious planning for long term players. the players that collect over 100+ girls and keep going. the filter screen is great for micro management as well as the reports buttons on the next day page. Something that sim brothel and whore master didn't seem to plan for, were the players that try to micromange while having a massive number of girls. something i did in WM and could end up spending 20 mins on one turn checking to many stats on to many girls. most likely i should just adjust my play style and just not care if girl x does not have 100 joy or whatever... now i'm just rambling.

liking the game so far!! eager to see what the new patches will bring!

-T. Prachett

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #97 on: April 13, 2014, 05:19:02 AM »

- Noted strange item behavior, Dark should test it  ::)

- Screens will be improved, I'll try to get some of the stuff you've requested for the girls list done with the next update.

- Fast button for potions... prolly not very soon, maybe after auto-equipping, it's not difficult to do but I don't want to create a mess.

- I'll take a look at the arena thing next time I visit it's code.

- Magic is powerful is you can strategize properly, that's difficult to impossible at the moment.
Like what we're doing?

Offline CherryWood

« Reply #98 on: April 13, 2014, 05:52:10 AM »
- Noted strange item behavior, Dark should test it  ::)
I used "manual of sex" a lot in alpha, and I just tested it now, and I didn't noticed nothing abnormal about it. Seems to be working just fine, like any other book. Unequipping stops the learning process like it should... If there is a bug, if must be caused by some specific conditions or something...

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #99 on: April 13, 2014, 05:57:42 AM »
Nothing new here.
mtemp = '6'
mreusable = 'false'
mdestruct = 'false'
cmax = '100'>
<mod normalsex = '30'/>
<mod anal = '10'/>
<mod disposition = '-20'/>
You cannot have more than 100 with that type of manual. And it does not increase max stats, which cannot be high at 2-3 lvl.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2014, 05:59:58 AM by DarkTl »

Offline Xipomus

« Reply #100 on: April 13, 2014, 12:04:27 PM »
Hey guys,

Finally had some time to test. Like I said ... looks solid.
Found one screen that's keeps open, unless you go to the arena.

That's the hero profile screen and open the equipement screen then leave and go to another shop.. you'll see the screen still open.

To fix this i added a hide screen to the pyt - screens - heroprofile.rpy

Namely

In the first label hero_profile:
I added the line above unload the pyt_hero_profile
The line is:
    hide screen pyt_hero_equip

After that the screen stays hidden.

Included is the rpy file.

Will upload the dayscreen update later.. for some readability.

Cheers Xip

almost forgot... found a bug/cheat .
When you start a new game... you can keep doing stuff like talking to girls to get disposition up and tax won't influence you as long as you don't have a brothel. Off course at some point your health fails, but still you can gain a few girls before even buying a brothel.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2014, 12:08:12 PM by Xipomus »

Offline Xipomus

« Reply #101 on: April 13, 2014, 12:35:53 PM »
As promised the changed classes - jobs.rpy.

changes with screenshots are in the pdf that is located http://www.iedereenkanlerenduiken.nl/pyt/Pytfall text cleanup.pdf

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #102 on: April 13, 2014, 12:43:18 PM »
You have access to the SF? Use it :)

It'll prolly be a pain to try and update it from my end if I made previous changes, I haven't tried...

PS:

How did you get the leftover equipment screen error by the way? I managed to replicate it using hotkeys but it should not be fixable inside of hero profile file. I'll disable hotkeys in hero profile screen as well.
Like what we're doing?

Offline Xipomus

« Reply #103 on: April 13, 2014, 12:50:25 PM »
it wasn't neccesary an error.. but more a screen that keeps visible.
I did it as this.. went to the H (Hero profile screen) in the main screen, activated the equipment so it show the inventory.
Then closed the hero_profile screen and went to the city and a shop. It still showed the inventory in the screen.
With the hide on the hero_profile screen, you don't have that issue.

Will have a look how to do sourceforge again... has been awhile. And working to much doens't do wonders for my memory.

* edit *

Should be commited... I hope...

« Last Edit: April 13, 2014, 01:03:21 PM by Xipomus »

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #104 on: April 13, 2014, 01:32:58 PM »
it wasn't neccesary an error.. but more a screen that keeps visible.
I did it as this.. went to the H (Hero profile screen) in the main screen, activated the equipment so it show the inventory.
Then closed the hero_profile screen and went to the city and a shop. It still showed the inventory in the screen.
With the hide on the hero_profile screen, you don't have that issue.

Will have a look how to do sourceforge again... has been awhile. And working to much doens't do wonders for my memory.

* edit *

Should be commited... I hope...

Unable to replicate it as you've described. Also, committing is not enough, you need to push as well.
Like what we're doing?