Author Topic: <--Archived--> (Pytherworld 0.4.0 released!)  (Read 18140 times)

Offline rudistoned

<--Archived--> (Pytherworld 0.4.0 released!)
« on: August 09, 2013, 06:51:35 PM »
Pytherworld is a slave-training game set in the world of Otherworld. Gameplay is meant to share some elements with SlaveMaker and, obviously, Otherworld.

For more information, please see the release post at the Otherworld forums: http://forum.otherworldgame.net/index.php?topic=221.0
« Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 03:23:40 PM by Xela »

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
  • "It's like hunting cows"
Re: Pytherworld 0.3 Release Candidate 1
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2013, 02:43:56 AM »
You've had more code for PytherWorld like an year go? Did you drop all of that or just didn't adapt to work with Qt yet?

As for PyTFall resources, I don't mind but I am not the one who created that content (parts of it were borrowed from WM if I recall).
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2013, 03:11:52 AM »
Maybe I missed something, but there is no Pytherworld.exe in your db folder.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2013, 04:09:57 AM »
Maybe I missed something, but there is no Pytherworld.exe in your db folder.

Look for this: Pytherworld_0_3_RC1_Windows.zip

Someone's deleted it but I had a backup in game folder.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2013, 08:20:25 AM »
Alex G deleted the file Pytherworld_0_3_RC1_Windows.zip.   Today 3:06 AM
Alex G added the file Pytherworld_0_3_RC1_Windows.zip.   4 hrs ago
Db has a history, you know  :)
----------------------------------------------------------------------
There is some kind of minor issue with PyTFall girls, from time to time it shows, for example, Sakura profile pic for Hinata.
More importantly, sometimes I cannot close End Shift screen no matter what I do, except for alt+f4.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2013, 10:24:19 AM »
Db has a history, you know  :)
----------------------------------------------------------------------
There is some kind of minor issue with PyTFall girls, from time to time it shows, for example, Sakura profile pic for Hinata.
More importantly, sometimes I cannot close End Shift screen no matter what I do, except for alt+f4.

LoL

I cannot figure out how my modified version of Windows work, usually when I drag/drop a file, it is being copied but every now and than it just gets moved instead :(

I have the same issues with pics/end shift but game is really fresh, mostly to show off modding capabilities.
Like what we're doing?

Offline Adamwest69

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2013, 03:32:10 PM »
Can you upload the game to mediafire or mega? I'm not fond of dropbox (like a lot of people). A Torrent would work too.

Offline rudistoned

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2013, 03:57:24 PM »
I cannot figure out how my modified version of Windows work, usually when I drag/drop a file, it is being copied but every now and than it just gets moved instead :(

I have the same issues with pics/end shift but game is really fresh, mostly to show off modding capabilities.
Usually on Windows, drag and dropping a file moves it. To copy it, you have to do the same while pressing CTRL.

Seems like you guys hit a fresh bug. Probably something in a job. Maybe one of your girls learned a class? That's pretty new code. Thank you for reporting.

Yeah, I noticed that after I posted the preview. Pytherworld is designed around girls that have a specific look, for example being a short asian woman with pale skin, long black hair and breasts of average size. That's different from all games I've seen so far, were a girl is defined by being a certain character, for example being Mio. I want to support character-based girls too, but I have not fixed all problems this creates yet. As a result, the image matching does not really work for PyTFall girls currently.

Sorry about that. If you start the game from a command line, you will get debug output on the command line, especially if you start it like this:
Code: [Select]
.\Pytherworld.exe -d -ll INFO
(there is also -ll DEBUG, but that is probably too much)

You've had more code for PytherWorld like an year go? Did you drop all of that or just didn't adapt to work with Qt yet?
Neither, kind of. I rewrote the whole game in order to fix design mistakes I made the first time around. So the old code is gone, but it's spirit lives on. Pytherworld is still designed following a Model-View-Controller paradigm and it still relies heavily on signals to drive the flow of the application. As a result, I now have a lot less code to worry about and a better game  :)

As for PyTFall resources, I don't mind but I am not the one who created that content (parts of it were borrowed from WM if I recall).
Well, I'll just leave things as they are until someone tells me to leave it out or in. I will not advertise the functionality, but if someone discovers it and downloads PyTFall as a result, it is likely he will play PyTFall instead anyway ;)

Can you upload the game to mediafire or mega? I'm not fond of dropbox (like a lot of people). A Torrent would work too.

I will, when the game's ready for that ;)
The "offical" release will take place in Otherworlds forum and I will post those links there. I will most likely also announce the release here.

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2013, 02:48:33 AM »
Seems like you guys hit a fresh bug. Probably something in a job. Maybe one of your girls learned a class?
I doubt it. Sometimes it happens on the very first turn.
Oh, and is it normal that I cannot start a new game and have to load some save to begin playing?

Offline rudistoned

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2013, 04:12:31 AM »
I see. Well, I was not able to reproduce it so far running the game from code (meaning I did not have any problems). Maybe I already fixed it, or maybe it happens only in frozen code. The good news is that I fixed the problem with character-based girls (girls based on images of a single character). I think they work properly now :)

Oh, and is it normal that I cannot start a new game and have to load some save to begin playing?
Starting or loading a game, then going back to main menu and starting another game is broken right now. However, starting Pytherworld and then starting a new game should work regardless of the number of savegames you have.

UPDATE: You can find new binaries for Linux and Windows in my dropbox.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2013, 05:00:49 AM by rudistoned »

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2013, 07:39:09 AM »
I don't have any more bugs, the only issue I have now is a problem with scaling some interface elements, like names of talents, if I select different resolution in game settings.
To scale them properly each time after staring a new game and buying a girl I have to go to main menu and then select resume. After that game works flawlessly, even after loading a save.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2013, 07:49:47 AM by DarkTl »

Offline rudistoned

Re: Pytherworld 0.3 Release Candidate 2
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2013, 12:04:02 PM »
What window size have you set in your options file? 1200 x 600 works for me. AFAIK, the only screen that does not respect this setting is the main menu when first launching Pytherworld. Loading a game or starting a new game expands the window to the set size and from this point forward all windows have the right size. Is this the behaviour you observed?

Thank you for reporting the UI scaling problems. Some widgets don't report their size properly. So far, I have kept work on the interface to a minimum and it shows. 

I am definitely open to suggestions to improve the interface. It is possible to influence the appearance of the game with style sheets, similar to CSS for HTML.  http://qt-project.org/doc/qt-4.8/stylesheet.html
It is also easy to add support for several moddable skins to the game. To create a skin, you will have to write a subclass of QStyle in Python. The best way to do this is to subclass one of the existing subclasses, eg. QPlastiqueStyle as I have done for the default skin. http://qt-project.org/doc/qt-4.8/qstyle.html

To be clear: I am not trying to steal manpower here. If you are already working on PyTFall, I want you to continue doing that. However, if you need to take a short break from your main project every now and then, I am happy to accept your contributions. I know I don't want spend all my time working on Pytherworld. That's how I initially got involved with PyTFall, after all :)

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2013, 12:48:13 PM »
I usually use small windows for hentai games, like 800x600 or 1024x720, to be able to hide them as quickly as possible. Not to mention a keyboard with mute button to immediately cut off the sound when necessary  :)
In Pytfall window size could be freely changed with mouse, I think it's quite convenient for windowed mode.

As for interface, the only thing I don't like is girls market. Those bookmarks for girls at the left side of the window are rather counterintuitive, they still confuse me a little each time I visit the market.

To be clear: I am not trying to steal manpower here. If you are already working on PyTFall, I want you to continue doing that.
Right now I need 8 more items in order to bring their numbers to 300, but I ran out of imagination, so taking a break is a good idea.

Offline rudistoned

« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2013, 01:10:11 PM »
What's special about 300? 292 sounds fine to me ;)

Qt windows are usually freely resizable too, but I always had problems with getting the images to scale correctly. Getting them to grow when you make the window bigger is easy, but getting them to shrink is acutally quite hard, especially if you want to preserve aspect ratio.

Offline skuert

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2013, 02:00:23 PM »
Maybe I'm blind but where is your dropbox folder???

UPDATE: You can find new binaries for Linux and Windows in my dropbox.